new dane mommy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new dane mommy

hi all. we got our baby girl on sunday. supposedly 8 weeks but us and the vet think 6-7. tiny...only 6 pounds. was the runt but still just a lot smaller than I was expecting. anyhow, my question...how much food should I be feeding her per day. I had just been letting her eat as she was hungry but read that "free feeding" is not good. we have two labs that we just let them eat their food as they are hungry...only feeding them once but when the eat it they eat it. I am feeding them blue buffalo fish and sweet potato adult and she likes it. I just started doing 1/2 cup 3x a day but she didn't eat much the 3rd time and finished it at our "potty break" around 9 tonight. do you think that is ok??? I am a seasoned dog owner but never a dane and reading all this stuff is actually freaking me out and undermining my "dog knowledge" if you will...I just don't want to do any harm to my baby girl, brystol. thanks

Oh geez...6 pounds?!? My girl was the runt. Born at 11oz, which is extremely unheard of for danes & for my baby to survive. She is still little...at 8 weeks and 2 days she weighed 12.8#. You can find a lot of great info by googling The Great Dane Lady Linda Arndt. Tons of valuable information for a new dane owner- growth chart, feeding chart, etc. That will tell you how much to feed based on age. I think it would also be *extremely* beneficial to look up mental development information for puppies that age. There is a lot of learning and development that takes place between 6 and 8 weeks. (Main reason why all puppies should stay with their mother and litter mates until at least 8 weeks). You don't want your babe falling behind in this area, as it could definitely have a negative influence throughout her life.

What color is your babe? We'd love to see some pics!! Welcome to the forum!
    - Jordan & Eleanor (xxx's Words of Wisdom from Ms. Rigby)

Comment

Welcome, would love to see pictures
      Kathie Shea
      GDCA Rescue Chair

Comment

thank you for the info. I will look her up. Brystol is a merle. how do I post pics of her???

Comment

Working...
        X