Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi! New girl!

Hello all!

We adopted a Dane in November and I was soooo nervous because I had never been a dog owner, let alone a Dane owner! You all have gotten me through it. Every time I have a question this is the first place I go. I finally decided to become a member now that we have adopted our second dane!! Kronos is now a year old, and Hercules is 10 weeks! Raising Danes has been the best decision ever for my husband and me.

Can't wait to start chatting!
    -Kat

Welcome officially! Thank you for adopting and sharing your home with Kronos and Hercules.

If you have not yet, I would suggest enrolling Hercules in Puppy Obedience classes. They are a fantastic way to socialize your puppy, teach him manners towards other dogs, and set a foundation of obedience for the rest of his life.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by faust View Post
      Welcome officially! Thank you for adopting and sharing your home with Kronos and Hercules.

If you have not yet, I would suggest enrolling Hercules in Puppy Obedience classes. They are a fantastic way to socialize your puppy, teach him manners towards other dogs, and set a foundation of obedience for the rest of his life.
      We are definitely looking into it! Even though Kronos is more of a genius than we ever dreamed of, I really regret not getting him into classes just to help him retain even more. Hercules is definitely going to be our pup that is ornery, stubborn and tries to push limits... But he's just so darn cute!

Comment

Welcome and post pics!!

Comment

I finally got to a computer where I had access to pictures!
          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to DOL!

Wow, Kronos has a really short tail. Cute puppers!
            *Jennifer*
            Member GDC of Mid-Florida
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome to DOL! And thank you for adopting!
              Ann & John and Navy (b. 1/5/14)
              Whisper (Avatar 3/9/07 - 11/19/13)

Zip (2000-2007 - waiting at the Bridge)
              http://dolforum.com/forum/image.php?...ine=1215894342

Also at the Bridge: Woof, Natasha, Kippie, Black Jack, Thumper, Nigra Altair and Sean

Comment

Well I just got in trouble for saying I "adopted" on a different forum. I guess I just bought them. Sorry for the confusion. I really think I'm just done posting on here.

Comment

Originally posted by kbusch12 View Post
                  Well I just got in trouble for saying I "adopted" on a different forum. I guess I just bought them. Sorry for the confusion. I really think I'm just done posting on here.
                  Please read my reply on your other thread...you did not "get in trouble". I just wanted to point out the terms difference for clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by kbusch12 View Post
                    Oops, I originally thought you got your pups from a shelter or rescue when you said "adopted". But then I saw your other thread and it all makes sense now...

Whatever you do, don't leave DOL! Like already has been said, there are a lot of people on here who have made the mistake of buying pups from crappy situations. The issue came up and was addressed in your other thread - but no one is saying you're "in trouble" or wanting you to leave. Just clarifying is all.

As you've already discovered, there's tons of info on DOL and people are willing to help you and your pups just the same as if they were from the bestest breeders on the planet. That said, I would encourage you to read up on the Buying a Great Dane forum so that you understand why we make the distinction between 'purchasing' and 'rescuing'.
                    *Jennifer*
                    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                    sigpic

Comment

It's just nice to finally feel like I'm surrounding myself with people that understand. I come from a family with lab mix farm dogs... As long as I can remember. My husband worked with a guy that had two Danes... Of course Jared instantly wanted one. I had heard all the stereotypes about needing a big yard, lots of food, and how "destructive" they are. I'm the type that I research everything so for about 4 months I dove into the Dane world. I read about exercise, food, allergies, common issues, health issues later on... I was driving Jared nuts because he just wanted one, but with our small space I HAD to know what I was getting into. After we got Kronos, I truly started to understand how much he is like a human child with his needs. My family didn't get it and in ways still doesn't. They don't understand the issue with table scraps, cheap food, and certain toys to shy away from. They don't understand why pups can't be exercised a lot, why they have to chill after eating, and why they can't be outside in all elements. I have been in SO many fights with my parents that its ridiculous. I was terrified to tell them about getting a second one. They love Kronos more than anything, don't get me wrong... They just don't get it. Just like I didn't get it at first.
                      I understand you all are trying to help me... And I am thankful. I want to learn because I am so in love with this breed. I'm just a proud person and I have done so much of this on my own and teaching myself that it hurts that in my first 12 hours of finally getting up the courage to truly be active on here I don't feel like I belong here anymore either.

Comment

I agree. Please don't be done. This forum really is such an amazing resource, and if thickening our skin is the price we pay it is well worth the cost.

I would venture to guess the majority of members and guests here did not get their Danes from a reputable breeder or a reputable rescue. That does not make them bad people or their Danes any less amazing dogs. They are loved, valued and parts of your family. One thing to remember its hundreds of people read this forum every day and members use every opportunity to educate readers about how to help put backyard breeders out of business.

You mentioned how much your heart went out to all those puppies in that horrible barn stall. I know you would never want to see puppies in those conditions. None of us want that either and the more people we can educate to not fund those operations the less of them there will be.
                        sigpic

Comment

welcome to DOL and congrats on discovering the unending joys of being owned by danes!

glad you are sticking around. tons and tons of great info here!
                          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                          X