Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping in

Hello everybody!

1st time Dog owner very excited to be receiving our European Great Dane puppy 8 weeks old Monday.

I've been lurking the boards for about a week and appreciate how resourceful this site has been. I pretty much have everything down (in my head its perfect) in reality i'm sure it will be nothing short of an experience!

I really enjoyed hearing peoples views on ear cropping, it helped me make a solid decision to not do it. With the cost of getting it done with Laser and the after care requirements I didn't feel it would be a responsible decision to make in lue of my growing family (Baby in a couple months).

I also learned that Equine is another term for a horse... lol imagine my expression after asking a worker at tractor supply while staring at all the horse shampoo where I can find the Equine Shampoo? Went with Mane 'n Tail I guess people actually use it on their own hair so I feel safe using it. Got a oyster curry brush and one of those hand mitts people are raving about.. I actually thing it feels good on my hair despite the awkward appearance lol!

Toys were another great find on this site! I picked up the Horking Pig, Chicken, Tuffy Dog bone, DOL Odin's puzzle toy (squeey ball inside mesh ball), Kong Extreme. Although I am still trying to find a good supplier for hide bones at a decent cost, suggestions? Maybe raw for outside play because of leaking

Bloat is a major concern for me I am planning on getting some Gas X. I've seen they have strips that dissolve on the tounge does anyone recommend those? Going to try to stick with rest for 30 min before feeding 2 hours after

I will be doing crate training and housebreaking immediately although I am not looking forward for the first week of night crys before she settles.

I could probably ramble on more but I believe in the expression of "overstaying their welcome"

Thanks again. Oh pictures of Nakita are attached, my wife got to name her because I got to name our baby
    Attached Files

Welcome!

She is cute!

Comment

Awwwww so CUTE! I was actually curious about the Gas X strips as well, so I'm patiently waiting for someone knowledgable to chime in.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum! It sounds like you're off to a great start. As far as bones go, do you have a local butcher in town? I've even had good luck with the local grocery store butchers. See if they have any knuckle bones they'd be willing to save for you. Another option is deer antlers..just make sure they are fresh sheds and haven't weathered.

As far as bloat is concerned...if you own a dane, you worry about bloat. Comes with the territory. Check with your breeder and see if/when one of her dogs (in your dog's lineage) has bloated. Bloat is thought to be heredity, but it can certainly happen to any dane. You can also start looking into a pexi (also known as gastropexy). This can be done when you get your girl spayed. It will not necessarily prevent bloat, but it will help prevent torsion. If your girl were to bloat, the pexy, will buy you several precious minutes to get her to a vet. It is well worth the money!
        ~ Erin ~
        "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
          Welcome to the Forum! It sounds like you're off to a great start. As far as bones go, do you have a local butcher in town? I've even had good luck with the local grocery store butchers. See if they have any knuckle bones they'd be willing to save for you. Another option is deer antlers..just make sure they are fresh sheds and haven't weathered.

As far as bloat is concerned...if you own a dane, you worry about bloat. Comes with the territory. Check with your breeder and see if/when one of her dogs (in your dog's lineage) has bloated. Bloat is thought to be heredity, but it can certainly happen to any dane. You can also start looking into a pexi (also known as gastropexy). This can be done when you get your girl spayed. It will not necessarily prevent bloat, but it will help prevent torsion. If your girl were to bloat, the pexy, will buy you several precious minutes to get her to a vet. It is well worth the money!
          Knuckle bones should not be a problem, obviously preferable to a hide bone I'm assuming? I have family that hunts dear in Michigan so getting some fresh antlers shipped in shouldn't be a problem.

I'll query the breeder specifically about bloat in her litters, thanks for reminding me it has been a hectic weekend and recently started getting fed information about the where the puppy is at with its vaccinations shipping stress ect ect.

Comment

Welcome to DOL! Congrats on your cute new addition!
            sigpic Brenda
            RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
            Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Welcome to the board and congrats on the two new babies ( well soon two babies ) Its like having twins.....
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome! If you haven't already I'd read the puppy buying links on the left hand side of the forum homepage! Really good info in there about getting a new puppy, what to look out for, health testing etc.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X