1st time great Dane owner...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time great Dane owner...

So, we made the decision to adopt a great Dane baby after thinking about it for about 2 min., he is a blk/white mantle and was the runt of the litter. We just couldn't turn him down, it was love at first site. He was 7 weeks old when we brought him to his new home, which is also made up of a German shepherd, shar pei, mini schnauzer and daschaund. The shar pei immediately took up with him, cuddling and mothering him, I was actually really surprised, but she adores him. He is currently sleeping in the bed with me and my husband, because he still requires to go out every 2 hours, but, will soon have his own kennel. The only issue I have right now is that we feed all of our dogs taste of the wild and with this little guy it's causing cont. diarrhea. He is gaining weight, but the loose stools are stressful to him. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    sigpic

What was he eating before you got him, and how long have you had him?

I would think his loose poops would be because of a change of food?
    My little Bogartsigpic

Comment

Did you find a seven week old Dane pup at a shelter or rescue as I would be surprised if any of them would let a seven week old get adopted. I am confused about the adoption part
      sigpic

Comment

We've had him for a week today and his first family was feeding him a grain based product, which I absolutely don't do with ay of my dogs, so, I'm assumimg it could be all the protein in the totw and his tummy is trying to get use to it. I just don't know how to eliviate the squirts. Can I add something to the food?
        sigpic

Comment

a little bit of pumpkin firms it up nicely. If he's been having explosive stuff for a few days though, I'd give him a break and ease him back onto boiled chicken and rice for a few days to give his bottom a break. Then slowly back into the kibble. I'm not sure how long a puppy can not eat, but I wouldn't feed Elvis for at least 24 hours.
          sigpic
          "Saving one Dog won't change the world but the world will change for that one dog."

Comment

No, we bought him from a breeder he wasn't a rescue puppy, the mother had 15 babies and they were sucking the life out of her, So the breeder let the babies go early.
            sigpic

Comment

Since he came from a backyard breeder, I'd have him checked for parasites. There's nothing wrong with grain-inclusive kibbles as long as you go with a higher rated one. There's a few people on here, myself included, whose dogs just can't seem to handle a grain-free for one reason or another. Tucker gets fed Canidae ALS, and has really done very well on it. He's get some canned food and fish oil as well.

Also a word of caution..please use words like adopt/rescue correctly. In this situation, you didn't really adopt since you bought from a backyard breeder. I'm all about stopping BYB's as they contribute to the homeless pets in this world. Buying animals from BYB (doesn't matter the costs) just funds their programs. Now if she gave you the puppy for free then that's a little different IMO.
              ~ Erin ~
              "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome to DOL. Did you take the pup to the Vet for an exam & fecal check? I would rule out intestinal parasites ASAP.
                sigpic Brenda
                RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Yes his first checkup was yesterday and our vet was out of town, so, the vet who looked at him didn't have a preference in what to feed him, only said give him yogurt for 2 days while switching his food. He did however check him for worms.

As far as referring to him as being adopted, it's just my preference of words when talking about my 4 legged babies. I didn't have any of them, so, they were all adopted into our family.
                  sigpic

Comment

Elvis is gorgeous!! And ty for the information, it was greatly appreciated.
                    sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't give him yogurt. That's a lot of extra calcium for a young dane pup, which most vets don't think about.

I second the boiled chicken and rice for a few days, or, if you don't want to do that, adding a bit (not a lot) of canned pure pumpkin (not pie filling) to his food.
                      sigpic
                      Mommy to:
                      Yuuko - GD, home 6/21/12, my furry snuggle beast of DOOM
                      Harlee - GD, came into our lives 6/6/13
                      And three kitties who still aren't crazy about these big dogs in their house
                      RIP, Fruitcake...We love you, sweet kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno poochino View Post
                        As far as referring to him as being adopted, it's just my preference of words when talking about my 4 legged babies. I didn't have any of them, so, they were all adopted into our family.
                        The issue is, when discussing animals, the term "adopted" implies rescuing, not buying so the word is not appropriate in this situation.

Breeder had NO reason to let these guys early. By 7 weeks they are either weaned or taking very little nutrition from the mama. If there is a real concern they can separate mama to give her a break. They are too young socially to go to new homes at 7 weeks. Sounds like she just wanted to stop buying food for them.

Comment

I bought my Dane from a byb, but I adopted 3 of my other dogs from a shelter. Although I am ashamed of supporting a byb I love my dogs equally, and I own up to my mistake and try to educate others not to make the same one.

I hope you get your pup's tummy troubles straightened out soon. Potty training is rough enough without the hershey squirts making it more difficult!
                          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

The Hater-ade dished out by the term adopted around here is a bit discerning... Allow me to assist...

Adopt-1)to take by choice into a relationship; especially: to take voluntarily (a child of other parents) as one's own child.
                            2)to take up and practice
                            3)to accept formally and put into affect
                            4)to sponsor the care and maintenance (adopt a highway)

While the term is used for the "adoption" from a rescue it is essentially not any different that "adopting" from a breeder no matter the type. Essentially you are paying a fee to either one for the purpose of taking the dog into your care. While many here CHOSE to assume adoption means from a shelter it is a bad assumption. Whether one be paying a fee to a reputable breeder for their expertise, a byb for their little hobby, or to a shelter you are essentially doing the same for each one. The reputable breeder uses that money to feed their animals, participate in shows, pay for proper papers etc etc, BYB use it to pay for food for their animals and possibly fund future breedings, and shelters use it to feed the animals recoup the money spent on health care keep the shelter running, pay employees etc etc..

I may be new here, and I did my research on my future puppy, and I may not agree with byb practices, but I will, do, and shall continue to use the term adopt when I bring an animal into my home.

I don't mean to hi-jack. I wish you the best of luck with your new family member. It just annoys me to see new members of a community so quickly judged due to something as simple as a single word.

Comment

Welcome to dol.Not meaning to hi-jack,but clarify a previous post about quick judgements by another new member who seems easily annoyed by a single word.By definition ,rescue:to free from confinement, danger, or evil ,so i guess you could also call this a rescue,instead of a purchase because the definition doesn't mention money changing hands.Use whatever words you wish,as long as you are honest about it.You could say it was too good a deal to pass up so you stole the dog,i really don't care.What i do care about is the seven million dogs in shelters who need "adopted"before they get euthanised(just another word for killed).
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X