Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me name my two new dane puppies please!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me name my two new dane puppies please!!

Hi everyone!! My name is Lee Ann and I'm a new member here. I figured maybe someone here could help me out!! We just purchased two danes, a fawn and a black, and they are only 3 weeks old so we don't have them here just yet. We have to wait until after the 6th of September to go get them. I need help with names please!!

My husband would like to name the fawn one Mocha. I'm okay with that but I'd like to have a name that starts with "M" for my black pup. They are both males, they are brothers. Can anyone help me at all?? I sure would appreciate it soooooo much!!

Thank you,
    Lee Ann

RE: Help me name my two new dane puppies please!!

What about Mocha and Mojo?

Also, aren't they only going to be five weeks when you pick them up? That's way too young to leave their mother. 8 weeks would be much better! Hopefully someone else will chime in on the if's and why's to pups coming home too early.

Good luck with two puppies!!!!!

Amy & Mira
    Raw fed since Nov 2003

Comment

Hi, Amy.

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Somewhere around the week of the 13th they will be coming to us. Maybe even towards the end of that week. So, they'll be like 7 weeks old. Still think that's too early?

Thank,
      Lee Ann

Comment

I do.
        Mandi

Comment

You will be happier with your puppies in the long run, and they will have much better social skills if you wait until they are at least 8 weeks old. Two months is even better! (2 Calendar months is longer than 8 weeks). They learn from their mother and littermates during those last couple of weeks, and are more secure and more ready for training in a new home.

As for names, since you have a fawn and a black....how about Ebony and Ivory? Ebony and Caramel? Butterscotch and Licorice? I'm getting hungry...I'll stop now.

Good luck with your new babies and welcome to DOL!

Susan

Comment

How about Midnight?

However, I must say that it's not a good idea to purchase two pups at the same time. They will be more likely to bond with each other than to you and the rest of your family, which could make training more difficult, not to mention dealing with twice as much of the typical puppy issues. As was already mentioned, I wouldn't take a pup home earlier than 8 weeks, and 9 or 10 weeks is even better.

Michelle

Comment

Yes, please wait to take them from mama and littermates until they are 8 weeks at the very earliest. One of the things they learn during those last couple of weeks is the natural consequences of biting from mama

I must say that every reputable breeder I know would never sell two puppies of the same age if they had a choice. In addition to the reasons that have already been mentioned, one Dane takes so much love and energy at this crucial age I don't think they get enough when spread around for two.

Hope you only decide on one for now.

Good luck.

Comment

I agree that it will take more work to get two puppies at the same time but I have also seen this done with great success!.....Margie, I will let you take over from here.

Comment

What about these Mackie, Mister(PRONOUNCED.."MY STIR"), Manny, Milo(MY LOW)or Mitch? Good luck! You'll love them!
                  Linda Landry

Comment

Sine....you're too good to me!

Lee Ann.....One year ago this past Saturday, I brought home my two 7-week old Danes. They are sisters. I researched breeders like crazy for two years, and I would challenge anyone on this sight to tell me my breeder is not reputable. As a matter of fact, some of you have Danes that have come from my breeders lines.

Did I originally want two Danes? Absolutely not! But poor Hannah was left behind when her supposed owners changed their minds and my breeder asked if I would try it. Being the sweet sucker that I am, I brought her home with me. That meant running out to the store to get another crate, bedding, feeding station, toys, you name it. It also meant double the cost for food, treats, and vet.

I will never say that raising two pups was easy. As a matter of fact I felt as though I was living solely in my kitchen with them for the first three months they lived with me. I can't tell you how many times I felt overwhelmed and would put my head in my hands and cry out of frustration. It was difficult and time-consuming to train them individually, spend time with them individually, but I did it.

I, too, received responses to my posts asking for advice that I should never have brought home two pups, that they would never bond with me, that they would rely on each other and not listen to me, that I had to seperate them and do EVERYTHING seperately (i.e. feeding, walks, play time).

Well, I stopped posting for a while because I was upset. I wasn't asking people to tell me I was a fool for having two pups that would only bond with each other and never with me. I was asking for advice and wasn't getting it.

Here we are a year later. I have two of the most well-behaved, wonderfully socialized, loving Danes. I never seperated them unless it was an emergency vet visit, we do everything together and go everywhere together, and they both love me to death. I can tell by the look in their eyes that they have bonded with me. I am the head of our house and they look to me to provide health care, food, a warm and comfortable home, and tons of loving! They get equal amounts of my attention and we couldn't be happier!

So, to you I will say....enjoy your two Danes!

P.S. Feel free to pm or email me at any time with questions or concerns you might have! I'd be happy to help.

Edited for punctuation.

Comment

What she said!! You go girl!!

Le Ann,

You'll be fine. You'll love your dogs and they'll love you. WE didn't get our dane pup until she was 12 weeks old, but we got our 2 year old Amstaff at 5 weeks old and she is an absolute doll!! She bonded with us sooo well maybe because she was so young, I don't know, but she certainly hasn't been scarred by any stretch of the imagination, from not having been with mamma longer. I think it's all about the love and time you are willing to put into these animals that makes them what they are more so than all of that other stufs anyway. I may have some disagree but, oh well. Enjoy your little darlings when you get them!

As far as names go, here are a few to consider: Maury, Monty, Monster, Mel... have fun choosing. You can see more names on this website: http://www.petrix.com/dognames/

Comment

Hi,

You've probably found the articles below, but I'll post them anyway.

http://fl.essortment.com/puppiesbuying_ralf.htm

http://home.att.net/~pvee/dbltrbl.html

http://www.leerburg.com/2dogs.htm

We've raised two pups from the same litter and all worked out well. More difficult? Yes, however, it's doable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Thank you all SO, SO much for all of your help and advise. I am trying to figure out how to do these postings correctly so I hope you all even get this!!

My husband wanted fawn and I wanted black. We didn't want to have to choose between the two and whichever one we went with, the other pup was left behind and the last of the litter to go. My heart was breaking.

Then, along came our children. All they could say to us was,"Can we please take both, pleeeeeease???"

We were already on the fence about the taking the two and when our kids carried on like that...........the decision was simple from there.

Let me just tell you also that I have 6 children. So, now we will have six children and two Danes. We think it is the best idea ever but we've already had people tell us that we are crazy. If we can love 6 kids.......we sure do have it in us to love 2 danes. We just can't wait to bring them home!!

I'll still take all the advise and help I can get!!

Take care all,
                          Lee Ann

Comment

I, too, have raised 2 Danes at the same time. Along with a mix and a Shepherd. The Danes are 15 months old, and the other 2 are 17 months old.

Am I crazy? A resounding YES!!!! But my husband and I did it. My dogs are well behaved, they listen very well, they LOVE people.

Would I do it again? Ummm, not sure.

On one hand I think it's easier to raise multiple pups at the same time, only because they DO learn from one another. On the other hand, when they are bad, they are usually bad together, lol!

I love my guys, and wouldn't trade them for the world. If you had asked me that some months ago, I may not have had the same answer.

Of course with multiple dogs, everything is more expensive.

You said that you had 6 kids. Well, you definitely have a lot of help!

Good luck!

Nikki and the hounds of Vogels and LDCR

Comment

Hey Lee Ann,
                              I don't think 2 puppies at the same time is a bad idea at all. As long as you have the time for them, just ignore what some people say on this site. As for a name for your black baby....how about Moses,
                              Moab or Mordecai?

Comment

Working...
                              X