This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jen808 View Post
    My family is looking to add a harlequin dane to our life. We currently consist of2 indoor house cats that have great personalities, a mature 7 year old, and my hubby and myself. I have been researching great danes because I think they are beautiful animals, they have great personalities, and they require minimal grooming (we already have plenty of cat hair). I am looking for any obscure advice any current dane parents have to offer as this will be our first family dog. Thank you,JeniferJacksonville, FL
    Hi and Welcome.

You have come to the perfect place to learn everything Dane. Just
    be careful because there are BYBs {back yard breeders} and Millers
    {puppy mills} that lurk here to try to catch unsuspecting newcomers
    to sell their dogs.

Even if you're not looking for a show dog..check out any shows in your
    area to visit the Danes.
    http://www.infodog.com/showinfo/state.htm

Click on your state to find shows.

Also a reputable rescue is a good idea. You will find many Danes there
    that are homeless and you'd be saving a life.

Good Luck.
    Dee
    sigpic

Comment

Byb

Dee,

Thank you for your input. I am well aware of puppy mills ever since Lisa Ling did that expose on the horror of puppy mills. Talk about break your heart! Dogs that lived there didn't even know how to walk on the ground because they had lived in cages their entire lives! So SAD! That being said, I really never gave any thought to those doing "Back Yard Breeding". How do you know the difference between BYB's and serious breeders? What are some good questions I should ask, and answers I should expect?

Thanks again,
      Jenifer
      Ada, 9 months ~ Spuds, Sassy Orange Cat ~ Maria, Sweet White Kitty

Comment

you can start off by reading the links on our breeder's directory page
        sigpic
        In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
        Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Originally posted by jen808 View Post
          Dee,

Thank you for your input. I am well aware of puppy mills ever since Lisa Ling did that expose on the horror of puppy mills. Talk about break your heart! Dogs that lived there didn't even know how to walk on the ground because they had lived in cages their entire lives! So SAD! That being said, I really never gave any thought to those doing "Back Yard Breeding". How do you know the difference between BYB's and serious breeders? What are some good questions I should ask, and answers I should expect?

Thanks again,
          Jenifer
          Debbie posted a great beginning for your puppy search.

BYBs breed willy-nilly among the dogs they own. The only difference
          between them and the Millers for the most part is "volumn." When
          you surf the web for pups you'll see all the pretty pictures with pups
          posed on velvet, looking all clean and happy. When the truth may be
          that their living conditions are similar to the Lisa Ling expose.

Serious/reputable breeders show and health test among other things.
          They also don't have litter after litter after litter. Their pedigrees will
          show MANY champions..not 1 or 2 a couple generations back.

Check on the top of page for "Search." That will take you to the
          archives. Important you find your breeder first and hope a litter
          will be coming.

Dee
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you for all the great advice. There is so much to absorb, I'm taking notes as I go along. I will keep you posted on our search for the perfect addition to our family!
            Ada, 9 months ~ Spuds, Sassy Orange Cat ~ Maria, Sweet White Kitty

Comment

Hello

Hello everyone, my name is Emily. My husband and I have two daughters aged 2 and 8 and we recently added a new addition to our family. His name is Crush (after the sea turtle on Finding Nemo) and he is a 10week old pie-bald male. He is so wonderful!! We couldn't be happier! He was a Christmas present for our girls and we had only had him for about a day before he was a complete part of the family. I am so excited to have found this website! I have so many questions about Great Danes. I want to make sure that we are taking the best possible care of our new "son".
              sigpicCrush's mommy

We miss you buddy!

Comment

Brand new here..

Hi everyone.. brand new in here.. this is my first post.. I just brought home my 8 week old we named Brandy. She is great.. shes 25lbs right now, huge difference when I saw her at 3 weeks old. I cant believe how quick they learn things and loves to cuddle up to everyone. I also have a 2 year old mini daschund named hunter. So far so good, I couldnt of asked for a better puppy!
                sigpic

Comment

Hi all Just want to say it is nice to be here...and DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO BRED THE MILKBONE DANE? Winston is his name-O
                  Ellie Hilgers

Comment

contact his owner privately.

I have also sent you a PM., please check your inbox
                    sigpic
                    In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                    Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Also...we have 2 great dane ladies that run our house and one Great dane DUDE...and Man Does he EVER think he's something! LOL..He is our show dog that we got back from some people that didnt treat him right...They messed his mind up pretty bad...we are working it out though...show season is gearing up around here so we shall give it another whirl...Anyone have suggestions as how to decrease aggression ringside? I hear my tension can and probably does run right down the lead..Been working on socializing him but the show ring is the worst...Anyway I suppose I have jumped righ on in havent I? LOL
                      Ellie
                      Ellie Hilgers

Comment

Hello

Hi my name is Michelle. I am new to this site, just found it a few days ago. I've now spent 2 entire days just reading...lol. I just got my first Dane a couple months ago. He will be 5 months old tomorrow. He is amazing. I love everything about him. My husband and I also live with a 1 1/2 year old pitbull named Abby and 5 miniature dachshunds Buddy who is 7, Jade-6, Ginger-5, Alex-4 and Peanut-3. I am glad I found this site and hope to get a lot of good information and participate as much as possible.
                        sigpic
                        Michelle
                        Newton, Iris - Great Danes
                        Abby - APBT
                        Apollo, Jade and Angel - Miniature Dachshunds
                        Wilson - ChiX
                        RIP Buddy and Ginger ~ Doxies

Comment

New to Danes

Hello everyone, I just found this site and joined yesterday. I don't actually have any pets of my own, but my girlfriend has a beautiful Blue great dane named Bronte. Other than the huskie I had as a kid and the beagle mix that my mom has, I haven't had a dog in years. When I met Bronte for the first time I couldn't get over how big she was. I walked in the door and she was there with my girlfriend's parents to meet me. Standing on a level with my face (she was two steps up on me), she barked just once or twice, almost as if she was testing me. Within thirty seconds she was leaning against my legs, tail wagging like a wrecking ball, and within another couple of minutes she had brought me one of her very squeaky toys. She has treated me like family ever since, and has the most calm, wonderful demeanor I have ever seen in a dog. She listens to (almost) all of my commands and is extremely well-behaved. It is because of Bronte that I am here and looking forward to owning Danes for the rest of my life.

Comment

New to the forum

Hello, my name is Ivy...Brutus is my baby. He's an all black dane...actually he has about 5 white chest hairs! He's 2 1/2 years old and he's my whole heart! Just thought I would check out this forum and find more info on all my questions!

Comment

New dane mommy...

Hello,

My Name is Rose and I'm the proud new mom to an adopted dane named Zachary. He is 5 1/2 mths old, 77 lbs and is a merle coated dane. He is just wonderful, great danes were always the dog I had wanted my whole life, besides my husky Max which I adopted last year. Looking forward to learning more about his fantastic breed, sharing stories, pics and more!

Comment

New Dane Owner

Hello,
                                I'm a new dane owner! He's a 10 week old fawntle male named Dublin. And he has got some attitude! Now if only I can figure out how to put pics on here.

Comment

Working...
                                X