X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Daneaholic

Nicole:
    I know how exciting it is to get your first dane. It feels like forever until that day arrives and you bring home that bundle of joy. My first dane is a black with a white chest and four white paws. Her name is Tinker Bell & she is 10mo. old and we just love her. I must worn you though, they are addicting. We now have a 5 mo old fawn as well.

Can't wait to here when you get your new baby and we want pics.

Danefully,
    Yvonne
    sigpic
    Yvonne, Heather & gang @ Rhydtsdanes
    http://www.rhydtsdanes.com
    Owner/Handler

Comment

RE: New users please read

Hi, I'm new my name is Diana and I joined to learn how to care for my Dane mix Zion. He was diagnosed with early wobblers syndrome. I would love to learn how to help him live as normal of a life as possible and I would love to be able to talk to others that have been where I am or who are going through it. If anyone can help please let me know. Zion is a silver fawn male and he is 16 months old. He is the center of our world.

Comment

>Nicole:
        >I know how exciting it is to get your first dane. It feels
        >like forever until that day arrives and you bring home that
        >bundle of joy. My first dane is a black with a white chest
        >and four white paws. Her name is Tinker Bell & she is 10mo.
        >old and we just love her. I must worn you though, they are
        >addicting. We now have a 5 mo old fawn as well.
        >
        >Can't wait to here when you get your new baby and we want
        >pics.
        >
        >Danefully,
        >Yvonne

Hi Yvonne!

Sorry I took so long to reply, life around here has been insane with the mad rush during the holidays. I'm going to pick him up today; I can hardly wait! At risk of sounding like a child... He's the most awesomest dog ever! LOL. I know what you mean about wanting more than one, however, I think I should wait a bit. After all, I want him to bond to me and my family, and in February he'll be getting to know the miniature horse I'm making payments on, who stands a "gargantuan" 28" at the shoulder (fully grown). She's just a sweet heart, and doesn't take crap from anyone, lol. Anyhow, I'll post pics as soon as I can, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Comment

Well he's home at last, and I was shocked. My poor baby (whom I bought over the internet) is skinnier than he should be, has patches of hair missing, (which the seller claimed was due to "a couple of days at a bad boarding facility". Can anyone say "bulls*it?" It takes more than a couple of days for bald patches to develop!), my poor baby has a very pronounced fear of men (bastard probably beat him), and was being fed corn filled crappola kibble (no wonder he's lacking in weight). But he's in his forever home now, where nobody will ever hurt him again, and I love him. I confess, I fell for him the moment I saw him for the first time. He is so friendly with everybody, albeit a little shy at first, but he warms up quickly. He likes to roughhouse, unfortunately it gets him a little to excited though, a friend of mine video taped him trying to hump at me when he knocked me over! The dirty rat! He's a good boy, just a little overzealous, and he needs some love, patience, and discipline introduced into his life, all of which I will give him. I'm going to be taking him to a wonderful training school for dogs in Merkel called USTK9. They're expensive, but my boy deserves the best. I walked him for the first time yesterday and was so proud when he heeled at only a light tense of the choke chain. Several people gawked and stared, and the comments flew, ranging from "where's the saddle?" to "Honey take Pom Pom inside, before she get's snacked on". LOL! One woman actually held up traffic and got honked at as we were walking by as she watched us... hehe. He's so sweet, he loves to lower and lay his head against my tummy so that I can rub his ears, and I think he got held alot as a puppy because the command sit (if you're sitting) means plant his butt in your lap, LOL! I think it's cute, and I love it. He's my big 'ol baby, and I wouldn't have him any other way. He danced with me on his hind legs tonight too, I got a picture of it on my cell phone. I also introduced him to the horse halter that I bought for him tonight, which my friends laughed about and commented on. Now he really looks equine, heh. Anyhow, the reason behind the halter is that the theory goes where the head leads, the body will follow, making it drastically easier to control a large animal as opposed to using a standard collar, which gives them some leverage to pull back against it. He looks very handsome in his halter, and accepted it with a minimum of fuss. I only had him wear it for a few minutes, and walked him inside, making a few turns, and then praised him and removed it when he stood still. He's so wonderful, I'm so glad I have my fur baby "Ares".

Comment

>Well he's home at last, and I was shocked. My poor baby
            >(whom I bought over the internet) is skinnier than he should
            >be, has patches of hair missing, (which the seller claimed was
            >due to "a couple of days at a bad boarding facility". Can
            >anyone say "bulls*it?" It takes more than a couple of days
            >for bald patches to develop!), my poor baby has a very
            >pronounced fear of men (bastard probably beat him), and was
            >being fed corn filled crappola kibble (no wonder he's lacking
            >in weight).

That's why this forum has oodles and oodles of information on how to select a reputable breeder and how to avoid the bad ones. Perhaps you overlooked those topics in your lurking? Anyway, that's water under the bridge now. Enjoy your puppy, and please take advantage of all the valuable info on the board. You may find the Training and Health sections to be especially useful.

Cindy
            sigpic

Comment

>That's why this forum has oodles and oodles of information on
              >how to select a reputable breeder and how to avoid the bad
              >ones. Perhaps you overlooked those topics in your lurking?
              >Anyway, that's water under the bridge now. Enjoy your puppy,
              >and please take advantage of all the valuable info on
              >the board. You may find the Training and Health sections to
              >be especially useful.
              >
              >Cindy

Cindy,

I apologize that I have not yet learned to use every feature of this particular forum, I do not appreciate the snide remark, and do not feel it was warranted. I have made no personal attacks to anyone here, why do you suddenly feel the need to do such to me? I am enjoying my dane, thankyou for your support. He has an appointment with my vet to be thoroughly checked over, and will be schooled by professionals at USTK9 as I mentioned previously as they have an immaculate track record ranging from basic obedience to police dog work, to carting. Also, I did not buy him from a breeder, he was owned by a college student, and I see him as a rescued dane. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do not regret taking him from the situation he was in. Also, I have been around various breeds of AKC registered dogs (albeit I confess danes aren't among the ones of which I speak) all my life and am quite familiar with what a back yard breeder is. I am also fully aware of how much the average 'reputable' breeder massively overcharges a person who just wants a pet with no intention of breeding along with spay/neuter contract requirements. You needn't lecture me. Perhaps I come off as somewhat defensive, but I took offense to the 'tone' of your post. Have a pleasant day...

Comment

Testing here too...
                Synthia and
                Maya the Great Dane
                Ace the Newfie
                Saintly Miss Maggie & Baja
                Bassets Bud, Barney, Zuma, Doheny, Kahuna

Comment

New member from Colorado Springs, CO

Hi everyone,
                  Name is Jennifer, have husband Paul, 10yr. old son Andrew, 7yr. old son Miles and 5 mos. old brindle great dane Calvin. He's an absolute joy! He just got neutered so he's a bit 'under the weather' but he'll be fine in a day or two. He's also having a bad reaction to the pain medication - Rimadyl. Diarrhea, so we discontinued it. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Hi, Ive just found this wonderful site. Im thrilled ! We have 2 danes that we consider our children as much as our human children. Our danes are Temujin who's black, he is 10 1/2 yrs. (he's our old boy) and Sophie who's harlequin shes 7 yrs old.

I would love to know if anyone has any advice as far as keeping Temujin comfortable right now. His back legs are going out, its very hard for him to get up and its absolutley heartbreaking. Our vet gives him cortizon shots and he's on a pain reliever. I know its probably a long shot but does anyone have any ideas of how to help ??

Thanks so much and I look forward to chatting with other dane parents.
                    Mich

Mich and my Love Bugs !

Sophisticated Sophie
                    Kodiak's Toledo Tornado (Koda)

Comment

hello everyone,

my name is michelle. my boyfriend and i have 2 boys and 10 month old merle great dane named zeus and a 2 year old beagel named pete

i will be posting quite often here, seems like everyday is something new with zeus
                      Last edited by chelly; 08-07-2008, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Hi again everyone

My name is Tracy, I live in the UK with two danes currently. I have a young blue male (Riley) who will be two yrs old in a weeks time and a harli baby of 17 months also (Lottie)

I enjoy exhibiting my Blue at championship show level, he has Crufts qualified both yrs and has only been unplaced once in his 18 months of showing which was at crufts in a class of 20 something so Im really proud of his achievements in the ring as we are novices , but enjoying our new hobby.

I was a member many yrs ago but completly forgot my sign in details and did find the old style board not so user friendly as this one.

Looking forward to chatting with Dane lovers from all over the world

Tracy and the hooligans

Comment

Originally posted by tem&sophiesmom View Post
                          Hi, Ive just found this wonderful site. Im thrilled ! We have 2 danes that we consider our children as much as our human children. Our danes are Temujin who's black, he is 10 1/2 yrs. (he's our old boy) and Sophie who's harlequin shes 7 yrs old.

I would love to know if anyone has any advice as far as keeping Temujin comfortable right now. His back legs are going out, its very hard for him to get up and its absolutley heartbreaking. Our vet gives him cortizon shots and he's on a pain reliever. I know its probably a long shot but does anyone have any ideas of how to help ??

Thanks so much and I look forward to chatting with other dane parents.
                          Mich
                          Hi Mich and Welcome.

I don't know if you are still looking for information but here is a previous discussion on a product called Flexicose.

http://www.dolforum.com/forum/showth...ight=Flexicose

It does help some dogs and certainly will not hurt them.

Dee
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by daneaholic View Post
                            Well he's home at last, and I was shocked. My poor baby (whom I bought over the internet) is skinnier than he should be, has patches of hair missing, (which the seller claimed was due to "a couple of days at a bad boarding facility". Can anyone say "bulls*it?" It takes more than a couple of days for bald patches to develop!), my poor baby has a very pronounced fear of men (bastard probably beat him), and was being fed corn filled crappola kibble (no wonder he's lacking in weight). But he's in his forever home now, where nobody will ever hurt him again, and I love him. I confess, I fell for him the moment I saw him for the first time. He is so friendly with everybody, albeit a little shy at first, but he warms up quickly. He likes to roughhouse, unfortunately it gets him a little to excited though, a friend of mine video taped him trying to hump at me when he knocked me over! The dirty rat! He's a good boy, just a little overzealous, and he needs some love, patience, and discipline introduced into his life, all of which I will give him. I'm going to be taking him to a wonderful training school for dogs in Merkel called USTK9. They're expensive, but my boy deserves the best. I walked him for the first time yesterday and was so proud when he heeled at only a light tense of the choke chain. Several people gawked and stared, and the comments flew, ranging from "where's the saddle?" to "Honey take Pom Pom inside, before she get's snacked on". LOL! One woman actually held up traffic and got honked at as we were walking by as she watched us... hehe. He's so sweet, he loves to lower and lay his head against my tummy so that I can rub his ears, and I think he got held alot as a puppy because the command sit (if you're sitting) means plant his butt in your lap, LOL! I think it's cute, and I love it. He's my big 'ol baby, and I wouldn't have him any other way. He danced with me on his hind legs tonight too, I got a picture of it on my cell phone. I also introduced him to the horse halter that I bought for him tonight, which my friends laughed about and commented on. Now he really looks equine, heh. Anyhow, the reason behind the halter is that the theory goes where the head leads, the body will follow, making it drastically easier to control a large animal as opposed to using a standard collar, which gives them some leverage to pull back against it. He looks very handsome in his halter, and accepted it with a minimum of fuss. I only had him wear it for a few minutes, and walked him inside, making a few turns, and then praised him and removed it when he stood still. He's so wonderful, I'm so glad I have my fur baby "Ares".

Cindy was not bashing YOU personally, just the stupid move you made when you bought this puppy.

This is the perfect reason a buyer should NOT buy over the internet at all..unless from a reputable breeder. You mention Merkel, Texas. I happen to have a very good friend that lives there who got suckered in with the same puppy BYB/Miller that you probably got your Dane from.

Let me ask..Does she promote a black Dane on her website named "Brutus." That he is the largest dog she's ever seen?? If so..Good Luck, you will need it. Brutus and ALL his liittermates {except one last I heard} are DEAD before the age of 2. Heart, wobblers being the main killers.

The absolute worst part is that this sleezy person KNOWS all the health problems..and breeds the dogs all the same. She comes off as your new best friend UNTIL you call about a problem and she'll drop you like a hot potato.

Could you give us an update on Ayres and your experience with buying sight unseen..please on the Buying a Dane section here. Would really like to hear because you are the "poster child" for being taken in by a slick BYB/Miller.

Dee
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi I am a newbie

Sorry everyone, I will get the hang of this. My name is Julie and I have 2 danes both rescues 1 male and a female love then to bits and cant imagine life without them.

Julie

Comment

New to DOL in HI

Aloha, I just recently joined. We (my husband, daughter, and I) live in Pearl City, HI, that is on the island of Oahu.
                                We have two beautiful brindle Great Dane/English Mastiff dogs. (I still want to call them pups.) They are almost 2 1/2 years old, a brother (Brutus) and a sister (Kika). They don't look like they picked up any of the Mastiff but it is hard to tell. They did not come from a breeder. Friends of ours from church have a Great Dane brindle female and then a young fawn English Mastiff, tried to keep them apart but one day there was an oops. Later there were 8 pups. Since the mom was fixed so no more oops. But fortunately for us there was that one.
                                We wanted one and my daughter picked Kika but our friends told us how close she was to her brother Brutus and we fell in love with him. He has the number 7 in white on his chest. So that is how we got two. We have been very happy with them and love them so much. They are very loving to each other and everyone else. Our daughter is 8 and the dogs are so good with her. Sounds rough but those spoiled dogs sleep with us. Thank goodness we have a king, still does get crowded at times. But they are big babies.
                                We are blessed to have them and cannot imagine life without them.
                                I will add a couple of pictures when I am on a computer that has our pics.
                                I have been enjoying this website and thanks to those who are helping and giving the great advice.
                                Diane

Comment

Working...
                                X