Clear All

Cabot, AR! Avery and I !
    ~Tara VanLeah && Avery

Comment

Added Capone and I! Kansas City, KS

Comment

Coral Springs, FL

Comment

Hi, I'm first time Dane owner from Pittsburgh, PA. Cassie is 9 months old Mantle. Currently, I am working on taping her ears. I found DOL Forum very helpful and supportive. Love it!
          Last edited by Cassie Grace; 11-07-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Whoops, I added myself to the map. I should have read the first post, first!
            Last edited by EllaGirl; 11-25-2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Hi there!

I just joined DOL, and am still trying to figure out how it works.

I was a member of the GDML way back... where I learned most of what I really needed to know about Danes... and then a few Yahoo Groups (including CyberDaniacsIntl).

I have a blue puppy... well he's almost 17 mos and thought maybe I could used some advice and share some of the trials and tribulations I'm experiencing.

I also have an 8 yr old harlequin girl. In addition to the 3 pups I've raised, I have also had 2 rescues.

I have dealt with Wobblers, autoimmune disease, osteosarcoma, and bloat - most of the Dane biggies. I prefer to use holistic or alternate therapies.

So... I will probably be quite quiet until I figure out what to do here.

Oh, and we currently are in Calgary, AB.

Happy (very windy) Sunday!

Susan, Bubble and Astro
              Susan, Bubble and Astro

Comment

Greetings from the desert!

I am the Mama of Gunner, a 22 month old Addisonian Mantle. He has no hair on his legs or rear end due to the prednisone.Would love some tips on hair loss And skin care. Gunner is 140 lbs. and 37" at the shoulder.
                I will post his picture when I learn how to do that

wave! I am a newbie....

Comment

Originally posted by GREAT DANE MAMA View Post
                  I am the Mama of Gunner, a 22 month old Addisonian Mantle. He has no hair on his legs or rear end due to the prednisone.Would love some tips on hair loss And skin care. Gunner is 140 lbs. and 37" at the shoulder.
                  I will post his picture when I learn how to do that

wave! I am a newbie....
                  hi! Just wanted to wish you the best of luck. This may not even apply to dogs, but a lot of HuMan prednisone patients that experience hair loss recommend fish oil and nioxin shampoo products. Maybe a vet can tell you if it is safe for dogs or there are similar products for dogs?

Comment

New member seeking advice

I currently have a 12 week old black male Dane who is driving me crazy because he shows no interest in eating. At first I fed him Innova kibble mixed with boiled chicken breast...picked out just the chicken. Then he became disinterested in that. I tried 90% lean hamburger meat, liked it, at first, but then would only eat it if I rolled it up into meatballs and gave it to him...likes playing games. Not interested in chopped meat anymore. No matter what I try, he sticks his nose up at it and walks away. I am trying way to hard to get this dog to eat...YES? The only thing he really gets excited about it mozzarella cheese, but soon, he'll walk away from that. Any advice? Should I fast him until he's starving. He's between 20-21" at shoulder, weighs about 45 lbs. He's on the lean side. I don't want his development to suffer, but at the same time, I want a dog that is going to eat. I had 2 St. Bernards prior to this, neither of which ever gave me this much trouble. They were very hardy dogs and loved their food. I would welcome any and all advice as this is my first Dane. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jt straws View Post
                      I currently have a 12 week old black male Dane who is driving me crazy because he shows no interest in eating. At first I fed him Innova kibble mixed with boiled chicken breast...picked out just the chicken. Then he became disinterested in that. I tried 90% lean hamburger meat, liked it, at first, but then would only eat it if I rolled it up into meatballs and gave it to him...likes playing games. Not interested in chopped meat anymore. No matter what I try, he sticks his nose up at it and walks away. I am trying way to hard to get this dog to eat...YES? The only thing he really gets excited about it mozzarella cheese, but soon, he'll walk away from that. Any advice? Should I fast him until he's starving. He's between 20-21" at shoulder, weighs about 45 lbs. He's on the lean side. I don't want his development to suffer, but at the same time, I want a dog that is going to eat. I had 2 St. Bernards prior to this, neither of which ever gave me this much trouble. They were very hardy dogs and loved their food. I would welcome any and all advice as this is my first Dane. Thanks.
                      Welcome to DOL! Unless he looks sickly, lethargic or such, take bowl away if he does not eat after 20-30 mins until next feeding. Eventually he will be hungry enough and stop being a brat (my yorkie mix is such a food brat)

Definitely make sure he is not sick though! And make sure he was water!! I'm sure others will give you better/ more input if you post this in health and welfare forum!!

Comment

Can I look at the map to see who is near me?

Hello!
                        Chia and I are new to DOL and have added ourselves to the map in Cincinnati, Ohio.
                        -Tara
                        Chia- 12 weeks Great Dane puppy
                        Roxy- 10 year old Mini Schnauzer mix
                        Knight- 12 year old black lab/chow/don't know what else mix.
                        Last edited by Chiapet; 12-07-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Hello from SE Tennessee

Hello to everyone we live in Benton TN we have just recently adopted Titan a seven year old Dane. He is black with a bit of white on his muzzle and chest not sure how tall he is but he weighs 170lbs according to the vets scales. Yeah he's a big old fat love hound LOL

Comment

Hello Everyone from Pittsburgh, PA

I am new to this forum and also new to being a Great Dane owner. I have a 8 week old male puppy names Achilles. He is a Harlequin and is weighing in at 23lbs right now. His stitches came out yesterday from his ear crop and posting is ready to begin. Any suggestions are always welcome. Also I am working on stacking and gaiting. He seems to want to arch his back when he reaches for the treat when I am trying to stack him. How do I correct this? The puppy mouthing or nipping seems to be out of control at times. I correct him each time he does this but and quick tips would be great to try. I look forward to talking with all of you. Thank you for all your help.

Comment

Hello from Ohio

Hello Everyone and Thank you for sharing all your GD stories and expertise.
                              I am new to this forum as we are thinking about adding a Great Dane to our family in the near future. We currently have 3 boxers and recently lost our 11 yr old Doberman to cardiomyopathy. His passing has left a huge hole in our family and hearts so its going to take a pretty big and special dog to help fill it. As we have been thinking about our next addition we realize we love the size and goofiness of our Doberman and the craziness of our boxers who are cuddlers and need to be with their people. We believe that a Great Dane would be a good choice for us and have set out to learn more about them. Although all of our dogs have been rescues and we really would like a rescue - we are not sure we're up to the dealing with all the Rescue Organizations requirements again... it can frustrating and heartbreaking. They can have pretty rigid requirements, from type of leash, type of fencing, they pick out the dog, only serve certain states (so another state may have the dog we are interested in but our state does not), the rescue dog may have behavioral issues (not a big deal as we have handled them just fine) and after home visit you must pack up your herd and bring them to meet with potential adoptee (which can be very stressful for us and our dogs)... we're just not sure we want to jump through the hoops anymore after successfully adopting and raising 6 rescues and giving them a great life. I know these groups hearts are in the right place and they have some good reasons for their requirements I just get tired of it. We had one experience where after one of our boxers died of cancer, we were turned down by a Boxer Rescue because we didn't have a fenced yard (we had invisible fence), our cats weren't vacinnated/ annual shots (they are indoor cats and there is alot of controversy about this) and we couldn't commit to crating (we never had to before... but would if we felt it was necessary- we now crate all 3 boxers because it was the best for us)... this after we raised a boxer for 11 years and spent $thousands of dollars on chemo treatments and the weekly commitment that took driving 60 miles away even while I was briefly unemployed!
                              So anyways, here we are - opening our hearts and homes to a new four legged member- don't know who he will be, what he will be or when but we think a great dane could be alot of fun and compatible with what we have had and our family.
                              I am just worried about how much more of the bed and covers I will have to give up!
                              Last edited by tash; 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I'm the proud mamma of two fur babies. Kiki is an 8 year old Maltese and her big little brother, Klaus, is an 8 month old blue Dane. We brought klaus home at nine weeks and have such a blast watching him grow. He is by far the goofiest dog we've ever had!

Comment

Working...
                                X