This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Louisville......Nebraska

3 years ago, I became the Pack Leader (OK...Mom) to 3 Great Danes, 2 of which are adopted from a rescue. They joined a Beagle/Basset, and 2 Cardigan Corgi's.

I've followed the DOL forum's over the years, obviously as a "Guest". I've found a lot of very informative information and resources "on here", from nutrition, behaviors, training, and medical issues.

I'm honored to be a part of this!

Comment

• Hello from Maryland

I have a 10 month old Dane! The hardest thing I've ever done. Not in love yet, but still trying.

Comment

• Hi..I'm Carole from West Virginia. Atticus is my 8 month old harlequin dane. I also have a older golden and a smaller hairy dog.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Hi! I'm a soon-to-be parent to a Harlequin male. We live about 45 minutes outside of Birmingham, AL.

Comment

• Hegins, PA. 10 week old black female Lucy

Comment

• 11 year old Dane

I have an 11 year old great Dane names Diesel. He is absolutely amazing and sweet and a true best friend. This year he has started defecating during the night; every night, and seems completely unaware he is doing this. Recently we noticed that he defecates as he walks. He is otherwise healthy, plays, runs and eats like a normal Dane. We have him on 3/4 tablet of 7.5 mg Meloxicam to help with his spinal deterioration.
              My question is what can we do or give him to help him with this problem?

Comment

• DOL has already been helpful to me

Hello. I'm Susan from Chesapeake VA. Over the past 25 years, my husband and I have parented six great danes, 3 of them rescues. We currently have Spice, a 9 yo blue merle female, and BuddyRo, an 8 yo black male. Spice is incredibly healthy for her age, but Buddy has some arthritis issues. I originally became interested in DOL in hopes of finding treatments to try from other dane owners. And I did. We have started Buddy on green lipped mussel extract and are hoping for a good outcome. Buddy has issues raising his 175 lb body to a standing position. Once up, though, he's in good spirits and still likes to play with his tug-a-rope.

Comment

• 1st Time Dane Mommy

Hello, my name is Randi and I am currently in TN. I am mom of a 6 yr old Chihuahua named Bambi and a 3 month old Great Dane who's name is Jasmine. I also have a husband, 6 children, a scorpion, and a tarantula (both belong to my 16 yr old son).

I look forward to meeting other Dane parents and hearing all the great advise they have!
                  Raising another toddler this one just has fur.
                  Jasmine June 11, 2014 Bambi Nov 23, 2009

Comment

• Hi, My name is Karla. I live in Ocean springs, Mississippi. I recently purchased my first Great Dane. His name is Frankie.He is right at 12 weeks old right now. I have enjoyed reading through all the posts. I am so glad I have found this forum.

Comment

• I forgot to include his picture.

Comment

• Hello from Ocean Springs Ms

Hi every one
                        I am Shadows mommy.

Comment

• Introduction - greetings from Alberta Canada

I finally figured out how to post something! I am the new owner of our first Great Dane , Hudson is 3.5 months old and about 50lbs. We are having a lot of fun with him and most things are going very well, but I am concerned about training. The breeder I bought him from has specific instructions around vaccines and rabies being spaced well apart which is fine but that means we can't get him into formal training until he is almost 5 months. At which time according to the growth charts he could be as much as 80 lbs?. How has everyone managed training prior to formal training. Eg walking on leash and not pulling me

Comment

• Originally posted by Hudson3311 View Post
                            I finally figured out how to post something! I am the new owner of our first Great Dane , Hudson is 3.5 months old and about 50lbs. We are having a lot of fun with him and most things are going very well, but I am concerned about training. The breeder I bought him from has specific instructions around vaccines and rabies being spaced well apart which is fine but that means we can't get him into formal training until he is almost 5 months. At which time according to the growth charts he could be as much as 80 lbs?. How has everyone managed training prior to formal training. Eg walking on leash and not pulling me

We started training with our now 6 month old puppy when he was 11 weeks old. At 5 months our puppy, Peanut was over 90 lbs and I cannot imagine beginning training with him when he was that size. By then he was already fully trained on a leash (sit, down, stay, stationary heel, come, wait, etc) and he was in off leash training. I know there is a great forum on here with tons of training techniques.

Comment

• I believe with petsmart training classes and most others it is only required that they have their first shots. I would call and ask places to verify.

Also there si a lot of training you can do at home. with the pulling, I like the change directions when you pull technique. http://dogtime.com/leash-training.html

I have had as much success as being a tree, because usually that means me trying to get their attention when they are already wound up doing the wrong thing... so even if they did hear me which any time I have tried this it is like they don't, then they are learning they don't have to listen.

important things, don't use a retractable leash, and I prefer my dogs to walk directly next to me or behind, never in front, but that is my preference, and not necessary.
                              Keep the leash relatively short, for me I don't let pullers get more than about a 2 foot space bubble beside me, it makes the be a tree/change directions much more effective, imo, doesn't seem very effective if they have 6 feet of leash to then pull/run in the other direction.
                              Also because, I like my dogs beside or behind, I can change directions 'into them', not plowing bulldozer, gently nudge and they usually backup, like 'oops my bad, I am in the way'. But changing directions away from them works too.

I really wouldn't wait to start training especially because I imagine integrating with other dogs is an issue too, as in every dog they see they are sure they are supposed to play with no questions asked, and duke was 60-75 ish pounds when he was in training classes for 6 weeks and he has the every dog must play with me mentality and it was hard in class sometimes when he was throwing a fit because he was done with trying to contain himself and just wanted to play.

If you have a friend or neighbor that could help with people/dog greetings that would be great too, these are things that are taught in class. Never too early to start at home, there are a lot of training videos on you tube.

ps. if you do petsmart I think they all do clicker training now, so if you go to them I would ask their trainer when you sign up and pay, for a clicker... atleast here you get one for free in the first class, but it could be something that you could get him used to prior
                              pss. a lot of people on here go 'no-pull' harnesses (think that is the name), I never have used those, but that might help since he is a bit older
                              Last edited by dukers; 11-30-2014, 06:53 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
                              - Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Hudson3311 View Post
                                My local training by place has puppy classes for puppies starting at 8 weeks. A lot of puppy classes don't require all the shots. I would call around and see what you can find, but there's no way I would wait until 5 months to start training a giant breed!
                                sigpic
                                Chaucey
                                Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
                                X