Been putting this off...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been putting this off...

Well, as the title says, I've been putting this introduction off. Mostly because I'm embarrassed up to my ears.

Hubby and I have been discussing adding a great dane to our family for a long time (we had an experience with an abused great dane who lived with us for a little while as he recovered from a broken leg and we fell in love with him) and decided that we would finally be able to do so now that we've bought a house of our own. I've been speaking with some breeders and lurking on DOL for a few weeks now.

Tuesday night (May 25) I was taking a nap before hubby came home from work and woke up to something stepping on my face. He surprised me with Tristan, a 9-week-old present from the local newspaper.

I was annoyed with hubby, of course (even our rats come from a reputable breeder in California, and I thought he was well aware of my stance on this..), but I guess it is hard to stay mad when a jumpy, nonreturnable bundle is licking your face. He's a big mooshy sweetheart.

He came home with a bladder infection (crystals in his urine) but seems to be feeling well now. We go back next week for the vet to have another look at him.

Last edited by Selestine; 06-18-2010, 09:58 AM. Reason: Just realized that I wrote April 25, instead of May 25
    - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
    sigpic

Well byb or not byb he is a pretty pup! Congrats!

Comment

He is pretty adorable. I would be sure that hubby is given the BYB lecture everytime something goes wrong. That being said, I hope hubby never has to hear that lecture. Welcome to DOL!
      sigpic
      Lori, Desi & Grimm
      RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
      Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
      Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

Don't be embarrassed! Love that baby!!!!!
        Hubby had good intentions, I'm sure.
        sigpic

Comment

He got the lecture when I got back from the vet with a course of antibiotics ^_^

And thank you -- I think he is pretty adorable too!
          - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
          sigpic

Comment

My DH did something similar to me. He tried to say it was okay to give the "breeder" money because he had managed to talk her in to turning the remaining pup and breeding pair in to rescue, but he was on VERY thin ice there for two days until we got confirmation that she had indeed done that.

FWIW, I don't think anyone on here has anything against BYB DOGS - they are by no means "lesser" dogs or less worthy of a loving home. Its the breeders who don't care about the dogs who people have an issue with.

Love your pup. As a smart gal I know says, when you know better, you do better
            Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
            - Anatole France

Comment

He is adorable!

Forgive your husband eventually. His heart was in the right place.
              sigpic

Comment

He is darling and congrats on your new addition...Keep those pictures coming.
                sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I agree that you should not be embarassed and that your husband should be lectured, but with that said your pup is adorable and we are all here because we love Danes regardless of where they came from. It is never the dogs fault, no more then a childs, for the circumstances in which it was born. What is important now is that it has a loving home that wants nothing but the best for it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Just to clarify -- I didn't mean that I was embarrassed by the puppy himself, just embarrassed by the circumstances through which he was acquired.

He is a real love and just the sweetest, smartest thing! It feels like he picks up on things almost instantly. I wanted to teach him to look at me when I say his name, so the plan was to say his name and give him a piece of his breakfast whenever he looked into my eyes.. after maybe the fifth repetition he just took to staring at me!

Curiously, is he too chubby? I know the rule is "see two ribs", but I'm not sure if I can see them or not? If I really get up close to him and look, I can see his back ribs, but just looking over at him, I don't think "oh look, there are two ribs!". He weighed 25lbs today and is, at my best measure, 17" at the pointiest part of his shoulder when he puts his head down for a treat.

I ran out Tuesday night when hubby brought him home and got a bag of the Kirkland Chicken and Rice and he is offered 3/4 cup three times a day. He won't touch breakfast at all until I hand feed him about half of the bowl, and then he'll eat the rest. He rarely finishes lunch and then he devours dinner.

He's also been getting a bit of cheese (about 1/4 a slice) twice a day with his antibiotics, and he gets a bit of kibble hand fed to him whenever he goes potty.

He doesn't really seem to like his food, and I'm thinking about swapping him to something else later (the Kirkland was mainly a stopgap because I'd read on here that it was a decent food, and it was easy for me to get last minute) and I'd really like to try a grain free. Any suggestions on the best one to feed him (money aside, just the best possible food)?

And thank you all again for the comments on him ^_^

- Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
                    sigpic

Comment

I think he is a good weight. When they become disinterested in the mid-day meal you can move into twice a day feedings, which would increase his nightly meal to satisfy him more. I would stop feeding by hand or else you will be doing that the rest of his life, though it teaches manners and is a bonding experience. With growing puppies one day they may seem a little chubby and the next they may look boney, just because they grow so fast. I know alot of people on here feed Taste of the Wild and have tremendous luck with it. I agree with Faust about our love of all danes and general dislike of all BYB.
                      sigpic
                      Lori, Desi & Grimm
                      RIP my beloved Murray 5/17/07-09/13/12
                      Join Boise Danes ... https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.ph...66337846714730
                      Proud to be a Boise State Bronco!

Comment

He looks in great condition. At that age you are going to go from a chubby puppy to an emaciated puppy as they tend to be a bit spurty for the first 3 months.

As for the best food, Orijen. Hands down for that age. Any of the formulas will do be it Puppy, Adult, 6Fish or Regional Red. Then Taste of the Wild, either High Prarie or Wetlands which are without a doubt the best bang for your buck. They are great foods with high meat content, moderate amounts of calories and about 40bucks a bag compared to around 65 for Orijen or other brands.Then Canidae ALS Grain Free... After that... Before Grain and Acana for grain free options. In order of quality.
                        sigpic

Comment

what a cutie pie he is!! it'll be fun for all of us to watch him grow up.
                          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Welcome to DOL. Tristan is adorable!! Hopefully hubby learned a lesson.
                            sigpic
                            www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
                            http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
                            Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

i LOVE him!! i think he looks fine, i cant really see Supras last two ribs either but i know hes healthy and a good weight
                              Along with that i feed Taste of the Wild
                              Good luck with your baby
                              http://4supra.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X