Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! Carolyn, love your siggy pic...as always I am a big fan of your Divine danes!!!!!

I feel bad about the pic...it's outdated, and I'm still looking for a good updated one! My daughter takes a lot of pics of him but he's one of these types that looks away from a camera as soon as he sees it LOL! Sarge is a bit heavier now...he's back on kibble (THAT will change soon) and has put on some unneeded pounds.

I'm so sorry to hear about Snort...as if having bloat weren't enough!
    Sending get well wishes his way!

Cindy
    sigpic

Comment

OMG --- Give Snort our hugs and kisses. How on earth did he aquire Hepititis ? That is so scary. And yes, all the dogs know a bit of Yiddish. We lost our daly Lucky at 14 years old. Sweet pup....but don't think I would ever have another dalmatian!!! It is of great value to use another language or weird word for some commands -- especially in emergency situations !!!

so good to hear from you all !

Andi
      Last edited by andipanda 1; 04-25-2010, 11:41 AM. Reason: stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by wouldluv2haveadane View Post

Me and Sarge are still trudging along, Sarge a bit more slowly...he turns 8 this summer.

Cindy
        CINDY!!! Glad your back! Pass some love along to Sarge!
        June, Bumper (deaf & blind), Joey, Daisy, and Angel Ann (deaf)
        RIP Dakota Blue Moon
        Oct 27, 2006, Oct 01, 2012

"I'd tell ya...but I'd have ta lick ya"
        sigpic

Comment

Hi, welcome back.

Comment

Wow! This post has me in tears! I'm so glad I found it - I came back here looking for comfort. I will take a glass of champagne as long as you are pouring! I remember earning my red man and being VERY excited about it!

It was here 8 years ago that I started my obsession with great danes - not only did I fall in love with danes, but I also made some great friends - a couple of whom I actually met in person, Ali, Jo, Nicole (anyone remember her with Chester and Weskey) and someone else that was in Oklahoma that I'm having a TOTAL brain fart on.

It was thru this site that I found my soul puppy, my first true love, Bandit. I rescued him from South Carolina when he was 18 months old, severely underweight, abused, and flea infested. For the last 7 years he has been with my through 2 moves, a divorce (I'm with Ali in that boat), 3 more moves, a new husband, and a beautiful baby girl who is now 2.

Unfortunately on Friday night I had to make the most horrific decision of my life. Bandit bloated and by time I got him to the vet (1 hour from the start of it), he had torsioned and they intubated him and couldn't save him. The vet recommended not doing the surgery because of his age (8.5) and didn't think he could handle it. So thru MANY tears and hugs with him and love we decided to put him out of his suffering. His hips were getting really bad and we were giving him cortisone shots about every 3 weeks to keep him comfortable.

It's been a VERY sad weekend and we are all completely heartbroken. Smokey our chow mix is completely lost and Bellla keeps asking where Bandit went. It's REALLY hard - I knew it would be had know idea it would be this bad!

Glad to "see" you all again!

Comment

Hi Gwenna! (Or should I say GWEENA??? Ah, the good old days.) Welcome back!

Gosh, it's great to see everybody back together again! Missed you all! Wish I could have gone to the 2005 National and met everyone. Jo, Debbie,and Carolyn are the only ones I've met in person.

In fact, I missed this thread until just now. Had been away from DOL and Dane forums in general for several months.

Oni, thanks for your email.

Holldoll, didn't you used to live in Florida? Pensacola, maybe?

Thanks.

mp

Comment

We have all shared this sorrow too.......

Originally posted by Holldoll View Post
                Wow! This post has me in tears! I'm so glad I found it - I came back here looking for comfort. I will take a glass of champagne as long as you are pouring! I remember earning my red man and being VERY excited about it!

It was here 8 years ago that I started my obsession with great danes - not only did I fall in love with danes, but I also made some great friends - a couple of whom I actually met in person, Ali, Jo, Nicole (anyone remember her with Chester and Weskey) and someone else that was in Oklahoma that I'm having a TOTAL brain fart on.

It was thru this site that I found my soul puppy, my first true love, Bandit. I rescued him from South Carolina when he was 18 months old, severely underweight, abused, and flea infested. For the last 7 years he has been with my through 2 moves, a divorce (I'm with Ali in that boat), 3 more moves, a new husband, and a beautiful baby girl who is now 2.

Unfortunately on Friday night I had to make the most horrific decision of my life. Bandit bloated and by time I got him to the vet (1 hour from the start of it), he had torsioned and they intubated him and couldn't save him. The vet recommended not doing the surgery because of his age (8.5) and didn't think he could handle it. So thru MANY tears and hugs with him and love we decided to put him out of his suffering. His hips were getting really bad and we were giving him cortisone shots about every 3 weeks to keep him comfortable.

It's been a VERY sad weekend and we are all completely heartbroken. Smokey our chow mix is completely lost and Bellla keeps asking where Bandit went. It's REALLY hard - I knew it would be had know idea it would be this bad!

Glad to "see" you all again!
                Oh hon, I'm so sorry to hear about Bandit, but I am sure you did the right thing for him. And it is sad that this heartache brought you back into our fold again. Just know that Bandit is deep within your heart and only a thought away. May you soon find comfort.

Here is where we Dane friends can comfort each other, as good friends do, for we have all been in this boat at one time or another. Each of us feel your pain and know what you are going thru. Find peace in this truth.

So please come back and share your life with all of us again. Here is your glass of champagne and thank you for revisiting your friends. We will all be celebrating your return.

Comment

Originally posted by mp View Post

Holldoll, didn't you used to live in Florida? Pensacola, maybe?

Thanks.

mp
                  Hi MP!
                  I was in Florida! Good memory! I was in Panama City for about 6 months. That's where I got Bandit (well, I drove to So. Carolina to get him).

Thanks, Oni! It's good to be back. Heart breaking to see everyone's danes, but it feels good to be back here.

Comment

Holldoll,

So sorry to hear that you lost Bandit. So difficult, and heartbreaking. I too joined the divorce club a few years back. Congrats on the new marriage and 2 year old. good to "see" you again !

Andi

Comment

Thanks, Andi! It was heart breaking (and still is at times).
                      We have been fostering dogs through the local rescue because I wasn't sure if I was going to want another great dane to "replace" Bandit. After fostering a few different dogs, we've decided that we definitely want another dane. I knew I was hooked, but I got my DH hooked! WAHOO!! We really want to get a puppy but only from a rescue. One of the rescues around here has 4 dane puppies (I didn't know that when we decided to get a dane puppy) that are 8 weeks old. They aren't reviewing applications for another 10 days until they get their next set of shots, but I'm REALLY holding my breath that we will get one of them. Wish us luck! I can't imagine they have dane puppies that often and to have them RIGHT when we are looking is fate!
                      Last edited by Holldoll; 06-17-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Holldoll -- are you in California now. ? No Ca or So Ca ?

Comment

yeah, I'm in Northern Cali - Bay Area. You know of a dane needing a home?

Comment

Introduction

HI, Most people in the Dane World know me but I just joined DOL.
                            I own Heart of Gold Great Danes and have been in the breed 23 plus years.
                            I am a member of the Great Dane Club of America, the Great Dane Club of Western Washington, and an Evaluator for Therapy Dogs, Inc.
                            We show in many rings - obedience, conformation, therapy dogs.....
                            I am retired from the Snohomish County Animal Advisory Board.
                            Yes, I do breed occasionally.
                            Barbara Graves
                            Heart of Gold Great Danes
                            AKC/CKC/INTL CH Juli
                            INTL CH Bryson CGC TDInc
                            Vienna the POINTED dachshund!
                            http://mysite.verizon.net/heartofgoldgreatdanes/index.htm

Comment

Hi Barbara, good to see you here on DOL!

You might get more welcome responses by starting a new thread in the intro section.

Welcome!!
                              Bev
                              Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
                              sigpic

Comment

Hi and welcome back. Good to see you back.
                                sigpic
                                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                                Associate Member GDCNE
                                Member GSPCA
                                Member NAVHDA
                                Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                                High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
                                X