The waiting game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The waiting game

We found out from our breeder this morning that 5 baby girls were born last night! We are waiting for a companion puppy and are eagerly waiting to find out if we get one!

What are a few things that we can do while we wait to prep our home for our 'hopeful' new addition???

Thanks!

RE: The waiting game

Just having brought a new puppy home myself last month I can recomend a few things.

First lots of toys, our scoob loves toys and variety. He has ones that squeek, ones that rattle ( his favorite ) ones that have ten legs. Mostly he loves stuffed things.

Kongs I think are wonderfull especially the ones that you can stuff, they seem to keep a puppy interested for a while.

A good game plan for housebreaking will be very helpfull. Some people say crate training some say newspapers some say puppy pads. I think do whatever makes you most comfortable or what has worked in the past. Scooby was pretty obstinante he hates to go outside so we had to bribe him for a few weeks, but now he will go to the door and bark once to let us know he is ready. We also put him in a crate at night to help his blatter adjust. now he sleeps in or around our bed.

When I was waiting for scoob it seemed to take forever to get him so I would go to pet stores almost every day and spend a few dollars here and there, it passed time and made me feel like such a good mommy.

We also went to thrift stores and bought stuffed animals ( to play with ) and pillows to unstuff so we could make him a nice big doggy bed..:+

I hope these things are helpfull to you. I am new to the website as of yesterday and I can say this is the best resource I have, and the most fun also. Good luck and I hope time flies. feel free to E-mail me any time at bemind@earthlink.net

Comment

A new puppy? Exciting! We are anxiously awaiting our new baby girl (Fawn) born January 23rd. Our other Dane has is only 7 months so we just did the puppyhood thing. For toys our Emmy loved her Kong and her rope bone (get a big one). She also had a stuffed lambswool "Dane Woobie" that squeaked. Anything with long dangly legs is great. You'll also want to get tiny soft treats, we would break them up and use them as little rewards for going outside and she quickly caught on. For the accidents in the house, we swear by the dry carpet cleaning powder we got on the Planet Urine site. I have used EVERY other product on the market and this was the best thing for removing the stains and the smell. I have a huge bucket of it and it is amazing, nothing cleans up dog barf better! (works for humans too)

I started crate training right away, got the Dane size with a divider to keep her from going potty in the cage. Worked great and she caught on in no time. Our little girl had a pesky case of puppy acne and puppy vaginitis, after several trips to the vet we tried NZymes and everything was gone in a few days. I still use the tablets daily to keep her healthy, no problems yet.

My new puppy is due home in mid-late March, I'd love to exchange puppy stories with you!

Dane Mom Sue in Michigan

Comment

Just wanted to say congrats on the new future addition to the family! We love pics too! *hint hint*

Bree's Photo Gallery
        http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/s...=500&ppuser=19

Comment

Welcome and congratulations on your new puppy. We have 6 1/2 month old puppy named Victor so we just went through...and are still going through all the puppy madness.
          There's tons of information on this site about introducing a new puppy to your home. Do a search on previous posts as well, I know someone made a whole checklist of things that you will need.
          Be sure to crate train the puppy right away it will save you lots of trouble and worries, especially when you have to leave the home without the him/her. They can so easily get into things that potentially can be a threat to them so by crating them you are really doing them a favor.
          We got the Great Dane Colossol crate right away and just used the partition for a while and made the part of the crate that he was using bigger and bigger until we took the partition out all together. There's just no need to spend tons of money getting five different size crates, since they grow so fast, when you can settle for one. Our goal eventually is that he won't need the crate at all but for now we just don't trust him when we're gone. You can also choose (if you have that option) to gate off part of your house (bathroom or kitchen) but that just wasn't an option for us.
          Besides all the things that you can find in the checklist, I, and this is going to sound strange, got down on all four and crawled around to see what he could get at from his level and found things I never even would've thought of.
          The puppy pads didn't work for us, all he did was shred them. He was a quick learner though and if you make sure to take the puppy out every 20 minutes or so, after they have eaten, played or slept they catch on in no time. I think we spent less than a week training him to go outside.
          Good luck with everything! You're going to love the wealth of knowledge that the people on this site have to offer, they are wonderful and we all have the same thing in common...the love of our dogs and the breed.
          You'll have to post some pictures as soon as you can so we can see the little wonder.

Comment

Working...
          X