Hey! Just introducing myself and posting a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey! Just introducing myself and posting a question

Hi! I am the proud parent of two danes, Vegas and Sigh! Vegas is a mantle female that is 18 months old. She is a charater! Her favorite thing is napping and snuggling with mom! Sigh is 5 1/2 months old. His sweet abounding nature is quite commical. He is really starting to develop a wonderful personality! He is a harliquin.

The rest of the family consists of a English bulldog/boxer mix. He is a rescue and is 5 years old. He has been great at teaching the danes how to behave in the house. He is a great proffesor! Along with Bolliver he have two maincoons and an occicat. They are all quite commical in the way that they play together.

I do have a question for those of you out there who may have encountered a problem such as mine. Vegas my female is abnormally tall for a female, she is 37 inches at the shoulder and is a very striking dane, or at least mom thinks so. However, I can not get her to gain weight and when I do she loses it immediately, We have had many vet visits and are now waiting on blood work to come back yet again. This time she was fasted. I have tried many things. I have tried the products from nzymes.com, missing link, raw foods, and a variety of top dog foods have been tried. It is very frustrating to try to help your baby and for nothing to work. She gets super skinny to having a little meat on her bones in a matter of days and in a matter of days it's gone again. Two weeks ago she had gained four pounds and weighed in at 96 pounds. one week later at the next visit she weighed in at 84 pounds. I just don't get it. Everyone is fat and sassy in this house or at least healthy and pleasantly plum (not too plump So if anyone has encountered this problem, please share. I am about to pull all of my hair out trying to bring her to a normal weight.
    I will post some pics later.

RE: Hey! Just introducing myself and posting a question

Welcome.... I am owned by 6 dogs, the youngest being my Bree. Also owned by 24 cats, all rescues.

I have heard that Satin Balls and Magic Meatloaf are great for helping a dog gain weight. If you search the Diet Forum archives, you will find recipes and other great advice.

I hope the test results come back ok for her.... but please keep us posted.

You can see my baby Bree (5 months old now) in the link below! We'd love to see pics of your gang!!

Victoria

Bree's Photo Gallery
    http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/s...=500&ppuser=19

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
      Your babies are precious! Your cat looks just like my female maincoone, COCO. I'll post pics soon of my gang!
      Thanks,
      Comora

Comment

Some danes grow tall and thin such as yours has done. At her age she is like a skinny teen-ager that can eat you out of house and home. She will start putting weight on between 2 and three years of age. I have a mantle male like that also. He is just turning 2 and in another 6 mos I should see alot of filling out.

Comment

I just recently used Satin balls for my Olivia. She gained some weight, and looked great for a little while. I was giving her one a day. She kept weight on. As soon as I stopped (ran out), she lost the weight! I guess its different for every dog? My mom kinda wants to get some bloodwork done on her. She sheds a LOT, and can't seem to keep weight on no matter how much she eats.. anyways.. just thought I'd add my .02 cents. Welcome to the board.

Amanda

Comment

Hi. I also have a rescued english bulldog/boxer mix. Her name is Becca and she is approx. 4 years old. She is stubborn and quite piggish. She looks like a pig from the side! I also have one dane and 3 other rescues...2 more boxer mixes and belgian malinois mix. Oh yeah, and then there's two cats.
            sigpic
            RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
            Levi...born June 29th, 2011
            Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
            Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
            https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

Welcome to a great group!

Shuranda - Mommy to Kaiser (Dane) & Patches (mixed breed)
              Come see our newest baby boy: (updated 2-5-04)
              http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288186007

Comment

Welcome!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an occicat? I don't recall ever even hearing that name. Please enlighten me.

Jeanine, Janna (3 yr old humanoid), and Xena (warrior princess puppy).

Comment

Ocicats are a breed of cat. They look like a mini Ocelot.... very pretty. I can probably find a pic for you somewhere if you are interrested.

Bree's Photo Gallery ~ Updated 2/7/04
                  http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/s...=500&ppuser=19

Comment

Hi and welcome, my Titan is the same way. We give him satin balls 2, 2 times a day. That helps to put weight on him and keep it on. Our female Crystal is in heat right now and Titan's attention has turned to her, getting him to eat is like wrestling a bear, just ain't gonna happen! So he has lost a lot of weight. Once she is done we'll be back on the routine to put weight back on him. But the satin balls really do work!

Randy & Cheryl
                    Titan,Crystal and Aspen's Mom & Dad
                    Crystal
                    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289483337
                    Titan
                    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289482147
                    Aspen
                    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287936233

Comment

An Occicat is a breed created from the American Shorthair, Siamese,and Abysisian. They look like a small leapord, but with a much more domestic personality than other cats bread to look like the leapord. They act somewhat like dogs and interact fantastic with the dogs. Thanks for your welcome....Comora

Comment

:P devilish little guy you have there! Thanks for your reply, I will try them. My girl goes up and down so rapidly that it worries me that she is going to have some incredible health problems, yet she comes from an incredible line of dogs.
                        Thanks, Comora Good luck with the heat!:7

Comment

An 18 month old Dane is SUPPOSED to be on the thin side. Loading up with satin balls and magic meatloaf isn't a good idea for a growing pup. Feed a good quality kibble and be patient. She will start to put on weight when her body tells her that it is time too.

My giraffe-dog will be 3 in June, and finally in the last few months she is putting on weight (she's very tall too).
                          My best boy, Trooper.
                          sigpic

Comment

She's not just skinny, she looks like I don't feed her, but yet I do. Every vertibrae and rib show. Has yours been that skinny? Just wondering. I have had people tell me that she will catch up and not to worry, but I just wonder if a skinny dog and a dog that looks emaciated are the same thing. Yet her actions say I'm healthy. She's happy, very well adjusted and playful. I just want to know that I am doing the best for her.
                            thanks for your reply.
                            Comora

Comment

Titan and Crystal are beautiful dogs. Titan is especially striking! Great face! I'm a sucker for Harliquins!
                              Comora

Comment

Working...
                              X