Hi From Chilly Northern Ontario

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi From Chilly Northern Ontario

Hello There! Just thought that before I start heading around to all the different forums, I would say hi to everyone out there. I have been checking out this site for quite some time now, and since I am finally awaiting the arrival of my new baby, I would sign up and exchange information..not that I have much to share lol. Anyway, my boyfriend and I are getting our new fawn puppy on Oct. 9. He will be almost ten weeks old, ears cropped, and our first ever dane. We have heard so many wonderful things about this breed, and we just can't wait to have one of our own. A little worried about the taping though, some say it is simple, some say it is a nightmare..hoping it is simple!

Anyway...so I'm Heather...Nice to meet you all

RE: Hi From Chilly Northern Ontario

Hi Heather, I was talking to the lady at the pet store the other day, I believe we are in the same town-- she had Ridgebacks?? If we are and you want to talk PM me
    Islander
    I am back to the world of Danes-let's get the ride started!!
    RIP my Thunder boy, you will always have my heart!!

Comment

does she breed ridgebacks? what town are you in, i dont know what pm is lol sorry

Comment

Welcome. Congrats on your soon to be new addition. Taping will be a nightmare at first but I promise it will get better. At first you will be clumsy and the pup will probably be less than enthusiastic about having it done. But as time goes on you will both get better. Doing it when they are sleepy is the best advice I rec'd. Hope the wait goes by quick for you!

Comment

Thank you and nice to meet you! Do you have any advice on feeding...we were told to feed him Eagle Giant Breed Puppy food until he is 18 months old...we dont know too much about this. Everyone in this forum is talking about chiken soup and raw food...im lost

Comment

If you click on conferences, then click on diet, you will find mega-information about what is good for danes. Puppy food is never ever recommended. Also, alot of pet stores mistakenly recommend large breed foods and those often have too much fat/protein for our guys. A dane is not a large breed but a giant breed. They can develop growth problems and/or pain from being fed improperly. I'm glad your thinking about this now...your gonna be a great dane mommy!

Comment

>Thank you and nice to meet you! Do you have any advice on
              >feeding...we were told to feed him Eagle Giant Breed Puppy
              >food until he is 18 months old...we dont know too much about
              >this. Everyone in this forum is talking about chiken soup
              >and raw food...im lost

I have a 15 month old fawn dane, his sire was 10th in US and mom was somewhere around 20th... the only reason I state that is to give some sort of credence to what I was told...

The breeder asked me NOT to feed ANY puppy food to Storm - ever! I also read the books on Danes and they said keep the food in the protein range of 19%... the only way to do that, I found, is via adult dog food. He's been on it since he was 4 months old (I had him on giant breed puppy before I got her message and then slowly switched.) I also supplement with vitamins and chondroitin/gluc.

Name brands are discussed at length around the Dane circles. I, personally, feed Science Diet Lamb and Rice Adult to all my canines.

Storm has developed wonderfully. He's not overweight, is filling out nicely, has a great coat, wonderful teeth, etc.

This is only my opinion, I'm not a vet or a show home (Storm was pet quality due to his tail being slightly bent at tip).

Good Luck! CONGRATS! Danes are the best dogs - you'll never regret owning one as long as you train the pup - that's must unless you want a 140# dog with a huge muzzle toting you all over the place. Oh and SOCIALIZE, socialize, socialize. Take the pup to dog parks, pet stores that allow leashed dogs, walks, vets, etc. Anywhere you can get the dog around people, other animals, different noises, etc will pay off big time in the long run.

Julie

Comment

It is true that large breed puppy food is NOT recommended (too high protien/fat ratio), the important thing though is to look at the labels of different foods and go by that. We were told to look at foods with a protien ratio between 19 and 23 % and a fat ratio at about 12 % for Dane puppies. In most cases you will be looking at adult food. The reason I'm writing this though is to really push the point to actually look at the labels, not the titles. Since you brought up Eagle Pack, I'll stick to that. I've taken recommendations from people on this site, on Linda Arndts 'greatdanelady' webpage, and lots of others and Eagle Pack Natural Formula 23/12 is apparently a good food (it will depend on the dog though). The Eagle Pack Giant Breed food was brought to my attention when, after looking at it in detail, i discovered that until about halfway through the ingredient list, it is exactly the same listing as Natural Formula and the guarenteed analysis is also the same (protien 23/fat 12) except for having about twice as much vitamin E and glucosamine (important for healthy joint growth), not a bad thing. If I am wrong, someone please correct me because I'm in the same boat trying to find a good food, this is just what I've found. So far no one has given me a reproach about this so If anyone HAS tried it or found out something else about it, PLEASE tell me, and I'm sure Heather would appreciate the info as well as this was recommended to her. . The only way i found it out was reading the label and comparing it to the Natural Formula for Adults, and that is what I'm going by. I was planning to feed Natural but like the added glucosamine of the so-called Giant Breed Puppy Formula. I'm still looking into it all and I'd appreciate feedback too. :7

p.s. welcome to DOL heather!! I know this site has been invaluable to me (we're getting our boy in October) so far, but make sure you don't take it all as gospel, some of it comes from newbies like me and I know i don't always know perfectly what we're talking about . And everyone here wants you to take advise from here and then USE it in your own research. YOU are the one making the end decision, so make sure you know why you make it. :7 (To anyone else reading this, i hope that came out right, i'm not saying anyone here is giving bad advice so far everyone has been GREAT and I've learned SOOOO much.) :7

Comment

YES, you CAN feed Eagle GIANT/LARGE breed puppy formula. Although two of the drawbacks are loose stools and lots of them. Even though my Cooper loved the stuff I swtiched him to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover at around 6 months. The stool is firmer, I loved the ingredients and less poop.

GOOD LUCK!

~ Dina & Cooper

Here's the "little" guy! http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290313725

Comment

Sent another pm with my number, we are in the same town
                    Islander-- debby

Comment

Heather, I have tried forever to get the right food here (same town as you) finally found the eaglepack at the same place as you. Mine are both still pups (4 & 9mths). I am starting with the Eaglepack original this week. PS-- it's the only place in town to get GOOD dogfood, trust me I've been everywhere else and read every other label available here.
                      Islander

Comment

THANK YOU!! I've been worried that I'd be a test case . I really appreciate the info. That is what I will probably be going with then because my only other decent option locally here is Nutro, and I've heard the same downside. I'll start with Eagle Pack and see how my babe does on it. thank you thank you thank you. :7

p.s. You're lucky, I love the look of Chicken Soup too, but it isn't availiable in Canada AT ALL!! x(

Comment

Can't even get the Nutro here... or Chicken Soup or etc etc etc
                          Islander

Comment

Welcome! As said before, there are some good guidlines in the diet archives. Just find one with good ingredients, low protein that your pup does well on. Not all of them handle the same type of food well.

Comment

Working...
                            X