Ear Cropping....your opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Cropping....your opinions?

Hi there. I am new to the site. I am also new to the Dane world. I have a question. I will be taking home my first dane in about 2 weeks. I am really struggling with what seems to be the BIG CONTROVERSY about ear cropping. I would love to know what you all think about ear cropping. I am seriously thinking about getting his ears cropped, but I am having a really hard time finding any information other than very strong opinions one way or the other. Please help!

Vanessa

RE: Ear Cropping....your opinions?

My Opinion.
    There are no valid health reason's to do it. People will tell you they don't get as many infection's in there ears and so on and so forth. Keep them clean and they shouldn't. Let them get dirty and I don't care if you chop them off completely they will get infected.
    I do not believe that it hurts the puppy. My dog has natural ears. I have stepped on my dog's ears when he sleeps under my feet, once in awhile, and he never seems to mind. I don't think they have a lot of feeling in those ears.
    Find a professional and you should have no problem's. All your really doing in the end is creating work for yourself to tape them up. The dog doesn't care. Other dog's don't care. In the end, you have it done for because you like the look.

Axel the super dog

Comment

Aside from everyones view points. If you have never taped be in for a challenge. The breeder can show you how to tape but until you have a wiggle worm trying to fight you it is a different story. Also be prepared to tape until they are 7, 8, 9 months old if not longer. Now if it is a pet you can get a shorter crop which is supposed to stand quicker. Then there is the what if I do get them cropped and am prepared to tape but no matter what one ear falls. The key is to find a vet that is very experienced some vets will say yeah we crop and your dane will come out looking like a huge dobe. There are different crops for different breeds. I personally love the cropped dane but if it were only a pet I dont believe I would get them done. I have a boxer and her ears are natural I have no problems with ear infections or her hearing. She is prefectly find with her floppy ears(aside from the occasional flying nun look where both her ears flop backwards).
      If you havent found a vet to crop them, talk to alot of them ask them for a portfolio of the crops they have done. I hope this helped.

Comment

Thank you for the replies so far. Anything you can tell me helps. I am still debating whether or not to get his ears cropped....

Comment

I have been through four ear croppings and all stood. But one of my dogs ears took over a YEAR of taping to stand. Much time and patience involved in that one. If you are not prepared for the after care, I wouldn't crop. It is a lot of work, but worth it if you like the look. Personally, I'll never choose to crop again, but if my future dane is cropped by the breeder, I will deal with the taping. Three of my dogs were a one person job, but one was was a WILD THANG and took at least two of us to tape. So be prepared, learn what is involved in taping, and know that it will be up to YOU if your pup's ears stand. Don't put your dog through the hassle, (and yourself), if your commitment to the after care is not 200%. Good luck in your decision.
          Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

well...i cant tell you about how hard it is to do bc i have never done it. but i can tell you that my dogs ears are natural (i thought there was no reason to crop) and, at 5 months old, he has already had an infection (and yes i clean them). also in jill swedlows book, she points out that, in nature, no dog has drooping ears. so, for my next dane...i would do it. i dont really care if they arent perfect, i would feel better just having them open.

oh and i also have a friend with an uncropped boxer. i asked her if she ever had any problems and she said no. i told her good bc i have read about infections and hematomas that can burst. she said "oh, maybe that is why i sometimes find blood on my walls??"

Comment

I am definitely willing to give 200% to the aftercare, and if it takes more than 200%, then so be it. My concern was (and still is) for the puppy.

So I guess my next question is - Can anyone help me find a vet in Iowa that crops ears?

Comment

I really wanted my boy to be cropped. The dream dane of my imagination was always cropped in my minds eye. I really struggled with the whole idea of anesthesia on such a baby though but decided I did want him cropped. I knew that I had the time and patience required for the taping. I must say that I will NEVER crop any dane I have in the future. I just never imagined how much he would HATE the taping.Flt like I was betraying him each time. He did learn to acccept the taping and I did get better and quicker at doing it but the first few weeks were very frustrating for both of us. He is 4 mos now and has decided it is fun :P to take the tapes off while I sleep. }> Now mind you, my little guy is a handful so my experience is probably NOT typical but wouldn't do it again in a million years.

Comment

I haven't had any infection problems with my dogs' (note plural) natural ears.

Cropped ears can still get ear infections, too. Diet can also play a role in ear infections.

Bev
                  Bev
                  Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
                  sigpic

Comment

If you are planning on having your puppy cropped, breeders will usually know the experienced vets and have this done prior to the pup leaving.

Okie regards...
                    from the Sooner State, Brenda
                    Royal Sooner Great Danes
                    http://www.royalsoonerdanes.com

Okie regards.......
                    from the Sooner State, Brenda
                    Royal Sooner Great Danes & Borzoi
                    http://www.royalsoonerdanes.com
                    Public Education Chair, Mid-Del-Tinker Kennel Club
                    Membership Chair & Webmaster, Great Dane Club of Oklahoma
                    Webmaster, Great Dane Club of Greater Dallas

Comment

Iowa?! Well, welcome from another Iowan!

I will contact you privately with some contact names.

Bev
                      Bev
                      Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
                      sigpic

Comment

I agree. Also be aware that there are people out there who venomously disagree with ear cropping...and will voice their opinions when they see your pup is in tapes. I tell them my breeder had it done before I bought my pup (which is true). Although I probably would have chosen to do it anyway, because I like the look. It does take some time to get them to stand depending on the cut.

~ Dina & Cooper

Here's the "little" guy! http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290313725

Comment

With ear cropping there are always opinions.

We have 6 Danes...
                          3 natural, 3 cropped.
                          Those cropped their breeders had them done before they came home.
                          The other 3 we chose not to have cropped.

Cropped ears are just cosmetic, just for looks.
                          I don't think the ears of a dane makes or breaks them.
                          They are great either way.

For me both are beautiful
                          but personally we wouldn't crop any of our babies.

With cropping there is risk involved
                          such as death during the surgery, infection
                          and even lousy looking ears due to many thing (improper crop job such in the cause of our girl,Star),
                          improper ear leather, bad or nonconsistant taping, etc.

Rachel C. of Sixstar Danes
                          Click here to see our Youtube videos.
                          Feeding raw since Dec 2000

Comment

I think you will make your decision after you get your pup...I always wanted a dane with cropped ears...loved the look...but once I got him I fell in LOVE with those big soft floppy ears and couldn't imagine him with stiff stand up ears! Plus it made me nervous seeing danes with cropped nonstanding ears. Why go through all that when them standing isn't guaranteed? I didn't want all his baby pictures in tape either! :7 I've also seen them freshly cropped and I don't see how that can't be painful...so I didn't bother putting him through all that...and the $200!! :'(

...Ruth & Kramer

Comment

I have both uncropped and cropped danes. The flys bite the ears of the uncropped danes but don't bother the ones that are cropped.

Comment

Working...
                              X