need some support . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some support . . .

Hello folks! I guess I'm just looking for a little support. I am adopting my boyfriend's two great danes this week. Unfortunately, he passed away very suddenly about five weeks ago. I have spent a lot of time around his babies; I know their personalities and I love them very much. I love these two dogs, but I don't know much about the breed (I always have had labs) - I have been doing some reading though! Initially, I said I wanted his babies, but all of his family and friends told me that I just wouldn't be able to handle that much responsibility. I bought into their arguments for a while, but it has been several weeks now and no one else has offered to take them so they are glad to let me have them now!

You see, I am a single mother with four children (ages 7-16). No problem with the children and the dogs getting along - they are wonderful together! The problem is that everyone in my life is telling me what an idiot I am to be taking in these two huge dogs and I am becoming a little discouraged that no one seems to be able to see that it is exactly what my boyfriend would have wanted for them. We would have all been a family someday soon anyway. Both dogs are older, the male is five and the female is seven years old. I am planning to keep them and spoil them, just as he did, for the rest of their lives. When I first met his babies I remember thinking, "My gosh! They are HUGE!" Funny thing is, they don't look all that big to me anymore!

Please won't someone tell me that I am doing the right thing and that the dogs will benefit by being around people that they already know and love rather than waiting indefinately for placement in a home with strangers, even though they might be more familiar with the breed.

Thanks!
    Pat

RE: need some support . . .

Welcome to the Group
    I am sorry about your boyfriend must be a difficult time for you .. and I am sure it is hard to hear negative things about the danes when you are trying to make them comfortable since they lost their dad.. IMO you are doing good for them.. making it easier for them to deal with the loss of their dad and they will help you deal with the loss of your boyfriend .. stay strng and LOVE THEM until they are ROTTEN haha!

enjoy the forum

~*~*~ S ~*~*~

Comment

One thing to remember is that people are concerned about YOU. They may be discouraging you for that reason. What they fail to realize is that those goofy dogs may be just the ones to help you overcome your grief!

As far as leaving the dogs for some one more familiar with the breed...love will make you learn.

Unless the dogs have agressive/destructive behaviors that would need to be addressed I don't believe you need to know anything about the breed to take them in....you can learn as you go. If there are serious behavior issues then you could always have them evaluated by a behaviorist before the move.

Comment

You are doing the right thing.
        Mandi

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss I don't know what kind of emotional state I would be in if I lost my husband.

I think you are doing the right thing! I think it is wonderful that you will take them. Don't listen to the negative stuff just prove everyone wrong. That is bittersweet.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss, but YOU ARE doing the right thing, and what a generous heart you have for taking these two in. Don't worry, you have shown interest in learning about this breed and that is a great step! Enjoy them, and I hope that they help you heal, and you will help them.

Comment

listen to your heart and you lillte voice!

So sorry for your lost!

Sending you big huggs and support for you!

:* :*
              Julie

Comment

My heart goes out to you and your family. I've had big dogs for years and my family still doesn't understand, all they see are big dogs not the sweet loving boys I've come to know. For years they still want to know why I "need" such big dogs, my hands are full wouldn't my life be easier (single mom) without them. The answer is, was and will always be NO. You are doing the right thing & those dogs & I bet you too will benefit from your being there in their time of need also.

Mitch

Comment

Welcome to DOL. I lost my husband last year and I have to say that if I wouldn't have had my dogs things would have been a lot more difficult. Besides, they'll give you something to remember him by - I think you're doing the right thing and I'm sure all will work out in the long run. hang in there.

Comment

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. You are definitely doing the right thing! His babies need you and someone familiar in their lives as much as you need them! Your love and support to them and vice versa will help you through this very difficult time in your life. Their unconditional love alway has a way to put a smile on your face when you are feeling blue or you need a tear wiped away. Good luck and feel free to call on us here on the board anytime!

Comment

;8 ;8

Bless you for caring for your love's companions.
                      I'm sure he's smiling down at you for doing that for him and his babies.

Wishing you all the best.
                      Rachel C. of Sixstar Danes
                      Click here to see our Youtube videos.
                      Feeding raw since Dec 2000

Comment

I am very sorry for your sudden loss...... It must be terribly difficult.

You know when hubby and I got our first Dane my Dad, who was a huge dog lover, thought we were totally NUTS. Wouldn't you know it he fell in love with them, and finally understood....he took the loss of our first Dane almost as hard as we did. So for outsiders looking in Danes can seem daunting. I think you will find that they are in general easier than your Labs.....Especially middle aged Danes.

I personally think Danes are MUCH easier to live with than many of the smaller breeds. Stereotypically they are a lower energy breed. And I can't imagine you would notice a bit more laundry, or a bit more dirt on the floor when you already have four kids!

I think you and your children will get WAY more back than you give to these two "babies." Enjoy each other........

Andrea

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. And how many times do we hear that one statement until it no longer means anything. Danes are not fragile delicate dogs. Yes they can have health problems as with any other type of dog. But in my opinion there is not another dog on earth that will love you or your children more. As time goes by you will be able to pick the knowledge that you will need to care for them as you did your children. And they will be forever grateful that they are able to go to a home were they already know the people. Thank you for caring for them.

Cheryl
                          Titan and Crystal's Mommy
                          http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289483337
                          http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289482147

Comment

I am so very sorry for your loss. I think you are doing the right thing for you, your children, and the dogs. Good luck.
                            sigpic

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. I also believe that you are doing the right thing. If you have any questions or problems you just have to log on to DOL. We'll be here to help you through the day to day dane stuff. Good luck and god bless.

Comment

Working...
                              X