Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy / new pup!

Hello, All:
    I'm a long-time dog owner and this is my 1st Dane. I have a 14 week old merle female that I flew to FL to pick up one week ago. We drove home to NY together along with my daughter and her mantle male from the same litter. So far, all is well. I got a thumbs-up from my vet. Pup weighed #33 when we visited the office a week ago. I'm looking forward to sharing info here!
    Greg

welcome to the group.. Biggest piece of advice is feed what the breeder was feeding for at least the first 3-4 weeks and then if you need to switch than do a slow switch over 10 -14 days. Make sure the calcium is not over 1.5 and phosphorous not over 1.0, lower on both is best. Start training right away and don't let the pups do anything you don't want a 100 pound plus adult dog to do.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

welcome to the group.. Biggest piece of advice is feed what the breeder was feeding for at least the first 3-4 weeks and then if you need to switch than do a slow switch over 10 -14 days. Make sure the calcium is not over 1.5 and phosphorous not over 1.0, lower on both is best. Start training right away and don't let the pups do anything you don't want a 100 pound plus adult dog to do.
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Starting formal classes next week. I have a well trained, male GSD. I'll expect no less from this gal!

Comment

welcome! hopefully, your pups came from a reputable breeder. along with the other suggestions, you might want to look into pet insurance. if/when these big guys develop health issues, it can be very, very expensive.

enjoy your puppies and take lots of pictures because they grow very fast!
          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Yea, I went with Healthy Paws for insurance~
            Thanks,
            Greg

Comment

Working...
            X