Pumped to be here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumped to be here!

Hi Danes Online, soooo excited to be here!

Our 12 year old Chocolate Lab went OTRB last fall and we're just now starting to look at new breeds.

I've always loved Great Danes, but I wanted to come here and learn from you all before making a decision with my fam.

​​​​​​​Anyway, thanks for having me!

Hi and welcome..the best advice is research, research, research. Danes are an awesome breed but not for everyone.. They need training and socializing from day 1. Great care has to be taken to make sure you get a puppy from a responsible breeder.. there are many irresponsible ones out there just waiting to take advantage of newcomers to the breed and more than willing to take your money.. Go to a few shows and meet some Dane people, check out Dane clubs and their members... learn as much as possible
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

welcome! so sorry to hear of your loss.

i agree with everything posted above! i will also throw this out there...if you don't necessarily have your heart set on a puppy, there are scores of rescues all over the country that are overflowing with danes in need of a home. i've been rescuing danes for 12 years now and i particularly love the seniors but there are lots of young danes in rescue, too.
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Danes are awesome but they have downsides as well. Mine is a food whore. He surfs the counter like a fanatical maniac searching for the tiniest crumb. All food has to be removed at all times, and I have to lock him out of the kitchen when I make dinner. Also, everything is so much more expensive, flea meds, regular meds, surgeries, beds, food, etc. He didn't use much when he was young but as he has aged I'm using more supplements for him and to get the right dose for his size is taking its toll on my wallet. My biggest problem right now is that I let him sleep in the bed since he was a puppy, and apparently as I've gotten older my back has been objecting more and more to not having enough room. And for some weird reason he has started to dream more soundly and deeply than ever before and he literally kick kick kick kicks me (it is kind of painful to be kicked by him). It takes pinching his toes really hard to actually wake up and make him stop. So weird. So yeah, I love him to death and he's loyal and beautiful and an awesome dog, but not perfect. Your mileage may vary.
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I am absolutely loving this warm welcome and non-generic advice, thank you!

Not sure if this belongs in its own thread, but is there any truth to Danes having procedures as puppies to prevent bloat? When our Lab had his stomach stapled to his rib cage after emergency bloat surgery, I was told that big chested breeds are having this done early on as preventative.

Thanks again!

Comment

Not as puppies, but yes, most owners opt to have it done (gastropexy or pexy or tacking for short) when the pet is spayed or neutered, and that's recommended after 18 months of age (because it generally takes that long for their growth plates to close).
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

agree with sparrow but keep in mind, tacking doesn't prevent bloat. what it does is prevent the stomach from "flipping" during a bloating occurrence. it gives you more time to get to the e.r. vet for treatment/surgery (or your regular vet if you're lucky enough to have one who is familiar with bloat). even with tacking, there are precautions that must be taken to help prevent bloat, i.e., rest before and after meals, no gorging on water, etc.

also, bloat can be a genetic issue and this is why it is SOOOO important to buy from a reputable breeder!
              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Welcome! Im so sorry for your loss. We lost our 17 y o English pointer last year and it was so hard. We were blessed because we found our precious great dane puppy Tiny! He has been such a joy and a great fit for our family. This website has been a great source of info. He is our first great dane and I can honestly say we may never go to another breed. He is so laid back and gently mouthed with the kids. I have him enrolled in obedience class which helps a lot. You should also check to see if there are any great dane meetups in your area. We go to one monthly and its great to see an array of different danes and a wealth of knowledge. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                  Not as puppies, but yes, most owners opt to have it done (gastropexy or pexy or tacking for short) when the pet is spayed or neutered, and that's recommended after 18 months of age (because it generally takes that long for their growth plates to close).
                  Thanks for the official lingo! Found the Bloat/Torsion room, so going through those posts now.

Comment

Working...
                  X