Need advice on my dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on my dane

So I have a 8 month old great dane he was perfect no health conditions or anything and then we got him fixed at 6 months old and he has started peeing in his crate he started this 1 week after getting neutered according to the vet it was a traumatic experience for him even though he said he did wonderful and it is caused him to have separation anxiety towards me my husband works a month at a time away from home the vet said his anxiety is he doesn't like to be away from me not my husband he was kennel trained and house trained before getting neutered and then like I said one week after getting neutered he started peeing in his cage which has been a big clean up mess because he has the 54-inch kennel the biggest you can get he's even taking it way too far now he has managed to break out of his cage when he's in it he can only be in it for an hour and he will break out and I came home from work the other day he had broke out and cut his leg and his hip on the cage so I've been leaving him out during the day now because I don't want him to get hurt he stays loose in my house while I'm at work he is now chewing up all my kids toys even with me shutting the doors he found stuff and just choose it up I don't know what to do the vet put him on medicine and it's not working and if he's going to be out of his crate I need to teach him not to chew I don't want to put him in a crate if he's just going to get hurt breaking out of it I don't want that for him he's a sweet boy loves to be around me and my kids and my husband he just can't for some reason being his cage he just brakes out of it with two locks he doesn't even under the third one and I'm afraid I'm going to come home and see him choked with it I don't know what to do please help I'll take any advice I actually just bought CBD oil for dogs other day and I'm going to try that out on him cuz of his separation anxiety I feel like that Ewan is him being a puppy and also part of his anxiety anyone has any in fast I'm all ears thank you for your time

1) he was neutered too young (which is too late now) 2) he was neutered at an age where they often start going through the teen phase... It means training is stepped up. The big thing is dogs do what works for them… behavior is reward driven... His behavior is working for him and he in some way is being rewarded for it even if it is a negative... you need to really assess the situation see what the "reward" is and work to eliminate it and see why the behavior is working for him... It appears your vet may not be all that up on Danes.. I also suggest you get him into obedience classes and get more mental stimulation and more exercise physically..
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Hello,
      I'm new to the forum. I have a European great dane named Moose. Hes 16 months old and weighs 125 lbs. His height and weight were both on the upper end of what's reccomend until a few months ago. Hes lost weight since the last time we went to the vet. We feed him blue buffalo freedom grain free due to his allergies. He was eating 9-10 cups a day and now only eats 6 on most days. We've tried adding broth, yogurt and different things to his food. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I think he might have anxiety because out work schedules constantly change. Any advice?

Comment

Has your dog had a fecal test for parasites recently? Has he had any blood work done to check for health issues including tick borne diseases? What allergies does he have? How did you discover his allergies? Do you feed him measured meals on a regular schedule? As far as eating less that is normal since the heavy growth phases are done so he doesn't need as much food. How much weight did he lose? Does he look emaciated or just lean? He should be at a nice healthy well muscled lean..the last 2-3 ribs should just barely be visible. (Since this is an educational forum just an FYI a Dane is a Dane Is a Dane regardless of country of origin.. there is no Euro.. that is a sales gimmick. )
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

He has not been tested for parasites recently or had any blood work done. Hes up to date on his shots and heart worm medicine. We believe hes allergic to soy, corn, grain. We fed him purina puppy chow early on and he would throw up and have diarrhea. Vet thought it may be allergies and I found similar posts on this forum where changing the diet seemed to help. We feed him 3 cups 3 times a day, not always at the exact same time though. I thought he had maybe hit his max weight but our vet said he should have one more growth spurt. He hasn't been fixed yet. He lost about 5 lbs in about a month time. He looks lean but his back end is on the skinny side. 120 lbs tends to be on the small end for full grown male from the research I've done.

Comment

Purina Puppy Chow is a poor quality food.. It is way to high on plant ingredients and many dogs don't do well on it.. It is no wonder you had to feed so much. Soy and corn aren't great ingredients for any dog.. but it doesn't mean the dog can't tolerate grains.. I would use caution in using the Blue Freedom Grain Free.. I would recommend looking for another better food.. As far as neutering best not to until at least 18 months of age. As far as size goes it all depends on bloodlines..some lines grow until 3 years of age but some are done by your boys age.. What does your breeder say? How does their line grow? A full grown male can weigh anywhere from 120 to 190 (on occasion a bit more) and be from 33 - 39 " tall.. there is no set size..again it depends on lines and not just parents.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

Yeah we got him off of the purina pretty quick. I can look into some other foods and see if that makes a difference. I haven't spoken to the breeder since I got him but I can try and contact him and ask. I'll continue to wait on the neutering. That's good advice. Thanks

Comment

Do you know what the breeder was feeding? was it a responsible breeder?
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA

Comment

Breeder was feeding them purina puppy chow thick and chunky. He said that's all the puppies would eat. We got him at 7 weeks old. The breeder was referred by a friend of mine. He'd been doing it for 10 plus yrs. Both parents were on site and I saw them. Were impressive looking.

Comment

Sadly doesn't sound like a responsible breeder Responsible breeders don't send their puppies out ot new homes under at the very earliest 8 weeks of age, responsible breeder very rarely feed Purina Puppy Chow, Responsible breeders don't usually have both parents on premise They also do and have proof of actualy health testing not just simple vet exams.. They breed to breed standard.. Length of time breeding doesn't make one responsible..
                    sigpic
                    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                    Associate Member GDCNE
                    Member GSPCA
                    Member NAVHDA

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
                      Purina Puppy Chow is a poor quality food.. It is way to high on plant ingredients and many dogs don't do well on it.. It is no wonder you had to feed so much. Soy and corn aren't great ingredients for any dog.. but it doesn't mean the dog can't tolerate grains.. I would use caution in using the Blue Freedom Grain Free.. I would recommend looking for another better food.. As far as neutering best not to until at least 18 months of age. As far as size goes it all depends on bloodlines..some lines grow until 3 years of age but some are done by your boys age.. What does your breeder say? How does their line grow? A full grown male can weigh anywhere from 120 to 190 (on occasion a bit more) and be from 33 - 39 " tall.. there is no set size..again it depends on lines and not just parents.
                      So why is it my vet recommends to feed it to my pup how many of you so called responsible breeders are licensed practicing vets now ? understood other words what is you know that the vetS don't know . I'll answer my own question it aint didly squat. Am I pissed off well if you think so that's the first thing you got right be sure and ban me for telling the truth. All the bs about how much better this forum would be . Tell me one thing only one improvement been made ? Run out on me now got a new pup and all the knowledge that was here just took a giant piss in the wind. .

​​

Comment

seriously, you need to back off and stop being so hateful. yes, the forums have gone to shit but you're skinning the wrong cat here by blaming the members who are still trying to help answer questions and give some guidance.

if you can't be helpful or you can't contribute anything of value and all you want to do is come here and bitch and moan because everybody isn't jumping in to stroke your ego, then just climb back into your hole.
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Rudeness will not be tolerated on here.. Also as far as food goes and vet recommendations...vets aren't usually the best source for foods and feeding.. They have limited nutritional studies and what they do have is general in nature and covers everything from cats to rats dogs to hogs... they tend to recommend foods that are pushed by reps and/or they see advertised.. Most have no idea what is even in the foods they recommend. This site has issues and the site owners, Paul's son and daughter -in - law ) have been trying ot get it back to normal and currently have someone new working on it to fix issues.
                          sigpic
                          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                          Associate Member GDCNE
                          Member GSPCA
                          Member NAVHDA

Comment

Well so I just wrote a post and made an attempt to make amends and see this garbage. I sort of know a little about yourself. I don't know who's ego you are referring to unless it's yourself I could care less about ego. I have seen in the past where you flaunted yours and basically told me I was full of crap
                            ​​
                            ​​​​ when sheet metal screws started showing up in the dog food I was buying and just so happens to know you highly support . Show me an improvement that's been made just one and I'll shut up . Pull the plug if you so choose I don't care I'm sure it will help to stroke your own ego. The very nerve of both of you . I see all kinds of complaints here and you choose to single me out. Just shows me you know of the problems and choose not to do anything about it but threaten me . That's what I know as somebody that suffers from ego problems and insecurity and some one who also suffers from an identity crisis . I won't even address the food issues other than what I just pointed out maybe I will ask just what are your credentials in regards to dog food other than a guess ?
                            ​​​
                            ​​​​​

Comment

And I haven't been hateful yet. Colorful maybe but not hateful.

Comment

Working...
                              X