Puppy size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy size

We purchased a blue Merle female puppy on Friday 8/30. When we took her to our vet the following morning her weight was 8.7 lb and she was 8wks old. Her spine and ribs were prominent and we commented on her size and the breeder said that it was totally normal. Im wondering if anyone has seen or had a Dane puppy that small. She has put on some weight, almost 2lb since Saturday morning.

It is NOT normal for an 8 week old Dane puppy to be that small ..Either that puppy is not as old as the breeder claimed or it is not purebred... At any rate it is not well bred and you got taken by an irresponsible breeder... It also sounds like the puppy was not getting proper nutrition and is probably full of worms (hope the vet dewormed her and did a fecal test).
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

The vet did a fecal test and shes been dewormed. Shes gaining weight now and looking much healthier. We have her pedigree, she is purebred. The nutrition was definitely an issue but Ive noticed a huge increase in appetite over the past couple of days. Im not sure if she was the runt but its a very real possibility that they lied about her age.

Comment

What do you mean when you claim you have the pedigree?

Comment

Sadly Pedigree means nothing when coming from irresponsible breeders Even if a runt she would not be that small...
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

An average Great Dane puppy would be 8 lbs at 4-5 weeks old. An ill bred one could stretch that to 6 weeks, maybe. http://www.all-about-great-danes.com...wth-chart.html
            Last edited by Sparrow; 09-07-2019, 07:26 AM.
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

i wish DOL would do something about the photo issue. to the OP, if you use something like photobucket (i use IMGUR), you'll be able to post pictures.

i have to agree, this puppy came from a byb (backyard breeder). i hope they didn't stick you for a lot of money. in any event, she's yours now and i'm glad to know she is doing better. i would suggest finding a vet who has experience with giant breed dogs. you would be wise to check into health insurance for your puppy. since you don't know her genetics, she could be predisposed to any number of hereditary health issues.
              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
              X