Hello from hot SC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from hot SC

I am new to danes. Biggest dog I had before was a Lab. I had a friend in high school that had 3 Great Danes and I have always wanted one but I was not sure I could take care of one. I have so many questions! My first question starts out about finding an akc breeder that cares about health of these dogs. I donít mind traveling to get quality dog. I am worried about the right vet also. I am recently retired and have more time than ever. I still have a 14 year old chihuahua. I did attend my first dog show this weekend in Greenville,SC. I did not know anybody and drove by myself. I was not sure how to approach the people showing dogs. I did not know if they were breeders or not. I just want to make a responsible decision about getting a quality Great Dane and then caring for them. I know I need fenced in yard. Thanks for any guidance.

Going to shows is a great way to start your search for a breeder. I definitely understand your hesitance in approaching people though, especially when you're by yourself. I've heard people say that they talk to handlers after they come out of the ring. I'm not sure because I unfortunately got my dog from a terrible breeder. I know of many red flags for bad breeders and what to look for in a good breeder. The easiest red flags are breeders that breed "off" colors, don't show their dogs, and don't health test. Whereas a good breeder wants to better the breed, they show their dogs and hopefully champion them before breeding, they stick to the color code, and they do extensive health testing (xrays hips, elbows, do testing on eyes, heart, thyroid, etc), they never sell a puppy under 8 weeks old. There is honestly a lot more to it but those are some basics.Good luck in your search.
    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
    X