Just registered 👍🏼

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just registered 👍🏼

My wife and I have 2 Great Danes. One, a black newly turned 9 year old named Zeus and the other, a crazy blue 3 year old named Maximus (Max). I’ve had Zeus since he’s been 10 weeks old and we got Max together at 8 weeks old. Once you have a Dane, there are no other dogs like them. Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself and my goofballs
    Last edited by Maximus_146; 05-22-2019, 11:47 AM.

Welcome to DOL.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

welcome! i have 4 danes, 3 seniors and an almost 6 year old. best breed EVER!
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

We thought we’re crazy for possibly having 3 Danes in the stable but 4?! I applaud you Best breed ever for sure. We’re about to submit an application tonight for a puppy due to be born in July!

Comment

since i started rescuing danes, my rule was always only 3 danes at one time. jorah came into rescue last summer and resistance was futile. being a senior at 7, there was pretty much no interest in him. he has turned out to be an awesome dog!
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus_146 View Post
              We thought we’re crazy for possibly having 3 Danes in the stable but 4?! I applaud you Best breed ever for sure. We’re about to submit an application tonight for a puppy due to be born in July!
              please make sure you're breeder is a reputable one who does health testing and works to better the breed, not just make $$$ from litters of puppies!
              [SIGPIC]

Comment

We checked out the breeder and they are very regimented about their procedures in what they do with the litter before they sell them. Great looking Mantle you got there!

Comment

The breeder needs to have had health testing done on parents.. not simple vet exams but real health testing OFA or PennHipheart & eyes, OFA/Cerf on eyes, they need to breed to breed standard and either show or have their dogs evaluated to insure that meet correct conformation and breed type, they need to breed for health, temperament and longevity.
                  sigpic
                  Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                  Associate Member GDCNE
                  Member GSPCA
                  Member NAVHDA
                  Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                  High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Are there breeders who offer full AKC registrations who don’t do all the necessary testing?

Comment

if you go to the DOL home page, you'll find a place where you can click on "find a dane".

to answer your question, yes. BUT, registration papers aren't worth the paper they're printed on unless it's a reputable breeder. anybody can register with akc. you will find more "back yard breeders" than reputable breeders when you search for someone to buy a puppy from. please don't get caught up in the "raised with children, raised in our home", "comes with puppy package", blah blah blah. usually a reputable breeder will grill their puppy buyers to ensure they are satisfied that they will be good owners. also, i don't think reputable breeders will ask for a "deposit". also, these byb's will often have websites that that look very professional. don't be fooled by them!

do you want full registration because you want something you can breed? if that's the case, it's doubtful you will find a reputable breeder who will sell you a puppy. i wouldn't go within a thousand miles of a breeder who doesn't do the necessary testing.

eta...thanks for the compliment. jorah is a great dog!! could you pm me the name/website (if there is one) of your breeder?
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

No I’m not looking for full registration because I’m not looking to breed / show my Dane. I was just wondering if breeders would offer full AKC registration without doing the required testing like they’re supposed to (if I’m stating that correctly). Dean’s Danes is where we’re looking to buy from

Comment

ugh! sorry to say, they are a byb. they are breeding off colors and it even looks like they're breeding a harl to a merle which is a huuuuuge no no. i would pretty much bet the farm they do absolutely NO health testing. you'll be taking a huge chance without knowing the genetics of these dogs. there could be any number of health issues you could face...cancer, DCM, hip issues, just to name a few. i would run screaming in the other direction!

akc registration has absolutely nothing to do with health testing. health testing is optional for a breeder.
                          [SIGPIC]

Comment

I’ll ask about their testing procedures. But it could be possible they do the testing correct? My next Dane will be a Harlequin

Comment

oh, it's possible but highly unlikely. people who are byb's don't care about the health of their dogs, all they care about is how much $$$ they can get for the puppies. let me guess...they are probably charging you upwards of $1,000 or more for a puppy.
                              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X