Puppy food??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy food??

When will be the best time to swich to adult dog food? My dane just turn 11months, another question when due Danes stop growing in hight???

Danes can grow in height up until they are 3 years old ..Growth depends on lines.. You can transition over now or wait until your pup is 15-18 months of age.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Oh ok thank you for your repply, i think i might swich him up allredy he eats alot and i fell like those small kibels dont get him full what due you think? He eats 9cups a day is that to much? And another thing im thinking abaut spying him but i heard that if you spay him or breed him Danes will stop groing is that true??? If me spaying him will make him stop growing then i dont think i wana due it

Comment

What are you feeding? Males are neutered, females are spayed. pay/neuter doesn't cause them to stop growing in fact it can cause excess growth by causing the growth plates to not close when they should. This can lead to weaker bones, weedy appearance, increase in some forms of bone cancer, increase risk of tendon tears and other issues. Spay/neuter should not be done until at least 18 months of age.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

Im fedding him natures domain puppy (kirkland costco) i fell like he eats to much or that food not getting him full i just started to feed him 9 cups i was giving 6 before, sorry ment to put neuter i should just wait then i wont neuter him ... a few people have ask me to let them use him as a stud i tell them no because i heard that that will make him stop growing as well is that true?? What age is a proper age to maybe introduce him to a female i have shut down a few people now

Comment

He is not old enough to be used as stud.. in addition he MUST have an impeccable have had and passed all health testing not simple vet exams but real health testing ...OFA or PennHip on hips, CERF/OFA on eyes, OFA heart & thyroid..He needs to be shown or evaluated to make sure he is of breed standard any females he is bred to MUST also meet all of the same criteria.. As far as feeding.. you do NOT feed to get them full..you feed them an amount to insure proper body condition. A Danes should be lean and in a young adult/puppy the last 2-3 ribs should just be visible.. Many dogs will act hungry and would eat themselves sick so you never go by that. Jumping from 6 cups to 9 is too big a jump and can cause some serious issues ...anything from diarrhea, intestinal issues to increasing the risk of bloat... I would recommend getting on to a better quality food with more meat sources less plant.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

You as Kahlua states should go by body condition rather than your interpretation of hunger. While 9 cups is a lot of food, itís not necessarily too much. In any event if you decide to increase or decrease food it should be more in 10% increments than 50% increments.

Comment

Working...
              X