Ten year old with mega esophaguso

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten year old with mega esophaguso

our 10 year old Dane “Louis” was diagnosed with mega esophagus. Now we will feed him elavated off the floor. Our elavated feeder is not high enough. Our vet said he should be fed at the level of his head and remain upright for 30 minutes after eating. Doe anyone else have this problem and is your dog thriving?

There are 2 types of ME in Danes, congenital and acquired. Congenital ME can be idiopathic or secondary to a condition like PRAA. Acquired ME occurs in adults, usually older adults and is secondary to other disease processes typical of aging. I would guess your Louis has the acquired type. Is Louis regurging his meals? The vertical position is very helpful for ME dogs because it uses gravity to help move the food from the esophagus to the stomach, instead of sitting in the esophagus causing dilation and being susceptible to regurgitation. The risk with regurge is the possibility of aspiration which then poses risk for Aspiration Pneumonia (AP). There are also medications that can help. No 2 ME dogs are the same and treatment is highly variable and specific to each dog.
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

I fed my Pepperdine on the stairs and would pat her sides to help the food get past the esophagus.

Comment

Working...
      X