New to Here and New to Danes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Here and New to Danes

Hello! I just brought home my first ever Great Dane puppy a few hours ago. Ive always wanted a Dane and I decided if I was going to get one, I better do some research.

Weve been looking for a Dane puppy from a reputable breeder for a year or so. Last Wednesday, we found a local breeder who has been breeding for 31 years and this was their second litter this year. We went on Sunday to check out the Danes. They lived in a clean living area. I was impressed. We went to see the puppies. They had 3 fawns and several blacks. We had a long chat with the breeder before deciding we wanted a puppy from here.

We picked the only fawn male. My, is he gorgeous! We reserved him, since he was a couple days too young to leave yet.. A couple hours ago, we drove out there, payed the breeder, she gave us his papers, and we were off with our new baby.

His name is Jameson, btw.

Im also new to this site, I decided to join because I knew if I was going to have a Dane, this would help me ask questions from people who have Danes.

(Also, Jameson is currently snoring next to me while I type this. Silly boy..)
    Last edited by JamesonTheGreat; 12-21-2017, 11:51 PM.

Hi and welcome... along with your AKC paperwork did you get copies or see proof of OFA or PennHip on hips, OFA heart, eyes, thyroid from parents? Did they sell on limited registration & spay/neuter contract? These are very important things.. Also be careful on what you feed...make sure to feed a good quality food and watch calium/phosphorous levels. Calcium not over 1.5, phosphorous not over 1.0 lower is better on both especially if from fast growing lines. Do not over feed.. you don't want a chunky puppy.. you want a nice healthy lean puppy..
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
      Hi and welcome... along with your AKC paperwork did you get copies or see proof of OFA or PennHip on hips, OFA heart, eyes, thyroid from parents? Did they sell on limited registration & spay/neuter contract? These are very important things.. Also be careful on what you feed...make sure to feed a good quality food and watch calium/phosphorous levels. Calcium not over 1.5, phosphorous not over 1.0 lower is better on both especially if from fast growing lines. Do not over feed.. you don't want a chunky puppy.. you want a nice healthy lean puppy..
      In addition to Kahluas valuable advice, for about a month keep him on the same food that the breeder had been giving him. After if you decide to switch do so gradually and incrementally over about 2 weeks. Good luck with your pup.

Comment

Working...
      X