Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here - Danes Ears

Hi all! I'm new here....
    Our boy Roman is a rescue. He's a blue & 3 years young! Fortunately for us he's super well trained and though we are working on some "livability" commands / training everything is going well. EXCEPT.....he stinks
    Poor guy has an ear infection and some skin stuff - yeast / itchy but not dandruff-y. Getting some ear meds today, but...how long before smell should go? Also...do I use a medicated wash on him BEFORE or AFTER the smell from ears goes? I have a medicated wash so that's totally fine. Wash itself is not particularly awesome smelling...ideas?

Make sure to feed him a good quality food that does NOT contain corn, wheat, soy and that is not high in plants.. Make sure the ear medication you get is coming from the vet and not OTC.. as far as the medicated wash you can do that any time before or after doesn't make a difference..
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

We just switched him two weeks ago to single source food from Costco. It's the salmon and sweet potatoes. I wonder how long it takes to see a difference? Meds are from the vet...I know better Any suggestions for making him smell good(ish) or my carpets??? HAHAHA To be fair we love him more than we're worried about the smell, but still.......

Comment

It can take at least 6 weeks and sometimes up to 3 months before you notice a change when switching foods.. Make sure the food you switched to has a named meat/meat meal source as at least the first 2-4 ingredients..make sure the meat sources (salmon) outweighs the amount of plant/grain/carb...beware of fragmented sources of grains/carbs/plants. You can try rubbing his coat with coconut oil.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA

Comment

Ok. I have him on Natures Domain so I will need to check ingredient list...HOWEVER this weekend I've noticed his skin seems worse. Would I notice a decline sooner than an improvement? Almost like his hindquarter (top of back near tail) is looking worse. Losing some hair in small patches. Now dandruff-y, More sores. Almost like moth eaten. Also his "elbows have gotten brown and have sores on them now. I read a bit about if a dog is yeasty to stay away from potatoes because the yeast feeds on that. UUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!! I'm going back to vet to see about clearing this yeast but I'm suspecting a food allergy. I'm having a hard time because we didn't know this dog before we rescued him (obviously). Considering raw but need more info so I'll go to the forum for that. I'll be honest...we love this dog but super worried I can't afford a dog with considerable allergy stuff. Single mama drama....

Comment

Since you are seeing such dramatic issues already on the new food I definitely would not continue with it.. there is far more going on here..Have you had skin scrapings done, thyroid tests, testing for auto immune issues? If not I highly recommend. A limited ingredient food with no potato also may be in order. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA

Comment

We had him scraped for demodectic mange and came back negative. The vet wasn't the hugest fan of danes in general and pretty much said if he had that to take him back. So....it wasn't that At least based on that scraping. I'm going to try to get in today and see what vet says. Will they have a dermatologist or they can recommend one? I'm not actually sure I can afford to have all the testing done. I DO know how awful that sounds....I'm feeling a little bit like the rescue either didn't know or wasn't very forthcoming. I guess I just start with the vet....

Comment

Have thyroid checked.. Check for auto-immune issues.
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA

Comment

Kahluadanes....you've been such an awesome resource! THANK YOU!!!!! I am planning on going for testing. I think that's probably just the most direct route rather than pulling at straws. I'll have allergy & thyroid / autoimmune drawn. THANK YOU!!!! Hoping to knock out the expensive guess work with the testing and get this guy on the right track with some manageable treatments etc

Comment

Sometimes going right to the testing saves money as well as time ..Good luck and keep us updated.
                    sigpic
                    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                    Associate Member GDCNE
                    Member GSPCA
                    Member NAVHDA

Comment

Working...
                    X