Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi! I'm new!!!

Hey!
    I'm new here, thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Daniel. I'm about to pick up my new best friend Lucian the great dane on Sunday December the 10th, he will be 8 weeks old! Lucian will be the second Dane I've owned in my life.

7 years ago my younger sister was diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer at 22. We both still lived at home with our parents. She wanted a dog, and was very persistent that it be a Dane. I tried my hardest to change her mind and pick a much smaller and easier to handle breed due to the emotional roller coaster we were about to experince; but nope she was determined that she would only own a great Dane. So how do you say No? My parents and I helped her and in no time we brought home her puppy -Silas.
    We had no idea what a perfect distraction he would be at such a terrible time in our lives. My sister only got to see him grow up to be 8 months old, but he made her smile each and every one of those days. I don't know what we would have done without him. We may not have had a cure for cancer but we sure had the best best best friend we could have hoped for. Silas himself wasn't meant to stay with us long either. At about 2 and a half his heart started to give up on him. Within a month he had a heart attack in the middle of the night.
    For a long time I haven't been able to be near great Danes, they made me sad and reminded me of a time I'd much rather try and forget.

SO that brings me to a couple months ago when someone brought a Dane to work, instead of walking away like I usually would, I, just for a moment let go and played with it and I was hooked all over again. It all came back to me, hit me like a brick. I had no idea how much I missed them and having one in my life. Right away i was on the search and found a breeder, after not much longer I was visiting and playing with her dogs and I knew right there I was about to make the best decision I've made in years to get a new puppy.
    I didnt intend for this introduction to be so long and depressing but I thought I should explain how deeply these magnificent animals have affected me and detail some of my experience with them. Thanks for reading and I hope to learn alot from you guys!
    ~Daniel

Welcome...Thanks for sharing your story... Just for educational purposes make sure your chosen breeder health test the parents, not just simple vet exams but real health testing..OFA/PennHip on hips, OFA heart, thyroid & eyes and that they breed to the GDCA breeder code of ethics and breed standard..
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

congrats on your soon-to-be best friend! i agree with kahluadanes, make sure your breeder is reputable. in the long run, you will be glad you did.

i'm sorry for the loss of your sister and i can really understand how silas helped during her illness. my story is similar but i did not get my first dane until after i lost my husband to cancer. that dog helped my heart heal more than i could ever put into words. that was 10 years ago. over those 10 years, i have had 7 danes and all but one of them have been from rescue. there has never been a question in my mind...while i may have "rescued" them, they rescued me much, much more!

looking forward to pictures of your pup.
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Thankyou guys for that great advice, and thankyou Charlene for sharing. I'm sorry to hear about your husband, but I'm glad you found Danes to help you. Wow 7?! Thats impressive. I hope someday ill be in a position to rescue a few.There really is something special about this breed. The best therapy ever. They truly deserve to be protected.

Comment

yes, 7 but not all at once. i usually have 3 at a time. when i lose one, another seems to find me pretty quickly. only one of my 7 came from a breeder. the others all came from rescue.
          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
          X