Hello All! Glad to be Here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All! Glad to be Here

I have rescued a 4 ½ yo Dane. She belonged to a BYB who was going to abandon her to her own resources when he moved the next day. She had been bred early and often. I said I would foster her but finding a home for an underweight (79lb), skittish, shy, 30" tall at the withers, older un-house-broken dog became very difficult. She cleaved to me and I fell in love with her even though we already had 200 lbs of rescue dogs on the farm there’s always room for one more rescue. So now, she’s “mine”. I have always had large dogs but not giant breeds. Besides, little dogs on the farm are just coyote food around here. We went to the vet to get her records, ½ page of records for a dog of this age. That vet’s personnel were happy to see her go to us as “she was just money to him”. ½ Harlequin and of “perfect breeding”, whatever that means, I was told that she would never get hip issues or have bloat. I don’t know if that’s true. From her deflated low hanging teats I'd say she was heavily bred. She went into estrus too fast for me to have her fixed but she did get a chip, rabies, RMSF, lyme etc. We are awaiting her swelling to go down and her health and weight to improve so the fix operation would not be so risky. Operation is scheduled in 4 more weeks. (Anything I should know about that? I read the sticky post on it.) I originally thought she had the roach back as I could see every vertebrae and she had an indentation of about 2 inches that went in behind her very visible rib-cage, her hip bones and shoulder blades were very pronounced. She is now at 111 lbs and looks so much better. She’s happier and runs and plays more with my other dogs. She is gentle with people, kids and chickens and ducks. What I don’t know about this breed could fill volumes. I don’t even know what I don’t know. I joined so that some of you with experience could direct me to care for her properly in her now forever home. All advice is welcomed. BTW, Has NASA ever looked into collecting the drool and using it as a lubricant? Thank You in advance, Rescued a Dane

Lol about the drool, so true! I don't know what the vet means by half Harlequin, it sounds as though he/she isn't very informed about Danes given the other remarks - there is no guarantee she won't bloat even if her stomach is tacked (gastropexy) and there are no guarantees on hips either. Plus "perfect breeding?" So much confusion here. At any rate I would highly recommend you try to find a vet with more giant breed experience if you can. That's awesome that you rescued her - she will be so much happier with you! Welcome to DOL!
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

The vet did not tell me her lineage or breeding. All that info was from the previous owner (BYB). He told me that she "threw good color because she is half Harlequin to make Harlequin" pups.

Comment

Working...
      X