No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,
    My name is Melissa. I am researching a few different breeds, because one day in the future I would love to bring home another pup to get into conformation with.
    I have had my eye on Danes for years, but bloat scares the ever loving poo outta me. I live in the U.P of Michigan, and we are pretty cut off from things up here. The closest E-vet is 45 minutes away. And if it needs laparoscopy, that is a 3 hour drive to Green Bay. So quite a ways when every minute counts.
    I have an English bulldog, 3 cats, and a fish tank with a few guppies and snails, and a 13 year old son.
    A couple years ago I went to a local dog show, and was bit, hard, by the conformation bug. I quickly joined the local kennel club, and go to meetings when I am able. I took a stewarding class, so I could ring steward, but they ended up having me help in the obedience ring, last year. Still super fun and informative though lol
    I met a male Dane at the first show I went to, named Cruze. I fell in love lol And then our neighbor went out and got a poorly bred female (Who later got out and ended up hit. Made me very upset, because she was such a sweet dog)
    Any ways, to end this, after my horrible ramblings, I hope to just hang around, and pick up a ton of information to decide if a Dane is right for me and my family, and maybe calm my self down about bloat lol
    Thank you =)

Hi and welcome, yes Danes are prone to bloat but don't let it stop you from getting one. (any breed/mix can bloat and there are a few other breeds other than Danes that are also prone to bloat)...Find a good responsible breeder/mentor, learn all you can about the breed, proper feeding, exercise, etc..
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Hi Melissa. Bloat is a very real and very scary concern in Danes, and unfortunately it's one of the most common afflictions. I lost my first Dane to it. While it's terrifying and I worry about it all of the time, don't let it deter you. Many breeds of dogs bloat, so it isn't exclusive to Danes. There are surgical procedures that can be done that attaches the stomach to the abdominal wall to prevent torsion; although it doesn't prevent bloat it prevents the fatal twisting of the stomach. There are risks associated with any surgery though, so it's something you could investigate to see if you think it's worth it given your demographics and proximity to emergency vet care.

Danes aren't known as the "heartbreak breed" for nothing, though. Health issues are common in giant breeds, so finding a good breeder who heath tests is vital. Please, please research how to find a good breeder and also how to recognize unscrupulous breeders, because many of them disguise themselves well and appear to be reputable even if they're not. Cardiomyopathy and bone cancer is also problematic in Danes. Often they have short lifespans. With all of that said, I'd still choose Danes over and over and over again. They are really unlike any other breed.

I think I know the Cruze you are talking about. He's definitely one that'll make you fall in love with the breed, for sure.

Michelle, Kona and Deeds
      sigpic

Comment

Agreed. While Danes do have a slightly higher risk of bloat than some other breeds, its not a high enough risk to discourage getting a Dane; regardless of where you live.
        I've had Great Danes from many different bloodlines for 30 years (my first one was born the same week I was)... and I've NEVER had a single Dane bloat on me. More accurately, I've never had one of my Danes bloat to a degree that I noticed or that posed a threat to them; I'm sure one of the many Danes probably bloated at some point and was fine on their own.

If it actually is a great concern that you are worried about, they do make emergency bloat kits for saving a bloating pup in a pinch; I have one of these and I'm happy and thankful I've never needed to use it. Its just a small wooden bite block with a inch hole in it & 6-10 feet of inch clear rubber tubing. in an emergency bloat scenario, pup swallows the tub and the gas escapes the stomach thru the tube.

a BETTER solution is a balanced diet fed from an elevated feeder and 3-4 boxes of Gas-X in your bloat kit. Gas-X works wonders for dogs.

Good luck and hope you don't give up on Danes... they're awesome. Simon, my current Dane BFF is 38 at the withers and 210 lbs...
        ... and a total wuss; Cats chase him
        - Chris
        "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X