Need advice ASAP, 170 lb dane consumed a single chicken wing from pizza hut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice ASAP, 170 lb dane consumed a single chicken wing from pizza hut

Not a drum stick, but a single wing (not with the wing tip on it either, just one of the "wings" alone. Yes, we tore trash apart and counted. He did this once before, but now I'm more educated and also more paranoid. Should I rush him to the 24 hour vet (which in our area, has some luke warm reviews) or should I wait and see? I saw him get it and heard one crunch, not several, so I am thinking he could pass it just fine, or he could perforate his intestine and require a la episode of House treatment.

I LOVE my guy, just spent 200 and 2 vet visits to discover his head shaking was allergies. I caught it super early. I am very attentive, and I pay a dog trainer by the hour to come in home to keep him in check and make sure I'm a good owner. So please don't mistake me for someone trying to save a buck or balk at responsibility. I just feel rushing him in would likely be a waste of money and time and trauma to my guy who only recently let my vet give him a cheeseburger I brought to his last visit as he always he pees himself when they check his ears or take his temp. I finally got him letting me put the ear drops in his ear without shaking.
    Mumma to two dd's, 15 and 13, and my 3 year old Duke.
    sigpic

I wouldn't take him in. Nothing they could do today about it anyway. Making them puke something up is often more troublesome (and potentially harmful) then letting it go out the other way. Just keep an eye on him and watch out for obstructions. I highly doubt it though. It should get broke down and passed without worry, especially since it's rather small. If he starts puking, lethargic, straining to poop with no action, etc. then head to the vet.

Also, the 24 hour vet at the corner of Monterrey and Kanner in Stuart is an excellent ER vet. Unfortunately, we've been there many times with both dogs and our cat and have had nothing short of excellent care. Our pit had an anaphylactic shock last time we were there and I called ahead to say we were on our way. We thought he was bloating / torsioned since his gums were white and he was barely breathing with a distended abdomen. Within 5 minutes from running into the house, he collapsed on the floor and I thought he was going to die. The vet there actually found the tiny stinger in all that fur between his toes and had him up and happy within minutes. They were even waiting and met me at the car to help with him. On the flipside, like every ER vet, they are not cheap at all. They do take Care Credit though.
    Last edited by Angel7292; 07-10-2014, 09:01 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you. I've consulted with my long term boyfriend, who was with me the first time he did this, and I've been refreshing this thread cuz I trust you guys so much. My gut says he'll be fine, but I am always second guessing myself. I will watch him like a hawk and call my vet tomorrow if anything changes. I will also remember to call the 24 hour vet in Stuart, as opposed to Ft. Pierce next time. I didn't think they could do anything to him right now since he literally just now ingested it. $130 for the visit plus blood work. What bloodwork?

That being said I've heard good things about the vet in the overnight Stuart hospital. Very good things. I appreciate your response. I may sleep tonight not feeling like an arse. My guy is SO scared of the vet. My vet is amazing and patient with his 170 lb pansy butt. They literally cater to him, they love him. I couldn't imagine running him out right now at bed time. He'd freak and traumatize and then I'd have such a hard time in typical vet visits.

Whew. Thank you so much. I love you guys on this forum.
      sigpic

Comment

Honestly, I wouldn't be TOO concerned.

I just found out tonight that my boy, with all his allergies, ingested 1/2 a litterbox of kitty litter and poo, 3 slices of turkey sandwich meat, 7 cigarettes, and two full-sized kitty bowls of kitten food over the weekend (4th of July) I was gone on a family trip. Apparently my boyfriend was too afraid to tell me Needless to say, he will NOT be babysitting again.

Anyway, Apollo is just fine. I never would have known a difference if my boyfriend hadn't told me. I think the guilt just got to him

I called my vet, and she said he would be just fine, especially considering it is now Thursday and he hasn't had any issues; no diarrhea, vomiting, anything.

As shocked as I am, it takes me back to one of the older member's post about how dog's guts really are much tougher than we give them credit for.
        -- Katelyn

sigpic
        Apollo

Comment

Oh wow!

He ate the litter itself too? WoW! 7 cigs? Holy schnaups!

My vet always reminds me they used to live on trash alone 100 years ago. But I'm a paranoid mommy. Like I said, I brought him in to the vet twice just for shaking his head and it was only allergies!

I'm watching him half of tonight, and then up bright and early int he AM.

I'll call my vet tomorrow to see when I should know if the coast is clear.

You poor thing. And your poor guy for having the guts to tell you
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by supermomgonelazy View Post
            Oh wow!

He ate the litter itself too? WoW! 7 cigs? Holy schnaups!

My vet always reminds me they used to live on trash alone 100 years ago. But I'm a paranoid mommy. Like I said, I brought him in to the vet twice just for shaking his head and it was only allergies!

I'm watching him half of tonight, and then up bright and early int he AM.

I'll call my vet tomorrow to see when I should know if the coast is clear.

You poor thing. And your poor guy for having the guts to tell you
            Yep, litter, poo, and all! Apparently he gobbled it down then puked a little up when my boyfriend got home that day. 7 cigarettes, and no vomiting. According to the boyfriend he just had a hell of a high and he was good after a few hours (wobbly, dilated pupils, sleepy).

Trust me. I'm a ridiculously paranoid mama. I flip over EVERYTHING. Thank goodness I wasn't here for all that or I would probably have had a coronary (almost did when I found out).

Ha my 'poor guy' left the gate open after I've gotten on to him about 6 times for it already!!

Ha but he's human.. I guess

Anyway, hope your boy is good. Keep us posted!
            -- Katelyn

sigpic
            Apollo

Comment

Sorry, but your post made me chuckle...ONE chicken wing??

You should SEE what my dogs have eaten in the past--lol. I'm talking whole deer carcasses--lol...and yes, they've occasionally had a cooked bone here and there.

Your boy will be just fine!
              Tracy
              sigpic
              Mouse April 2010
              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Lolita got into the trash one evening and ate three chicken thigh bones (dint know it at the time) and got a sock out of the laundry and swallowed it whole ( also didn't know it at the time). Luckily it all came back up ( on my white comforter) and we now have dog proof trash cans and laundry hampers! She has eaten bars of soap, numerous other socks and goodness knows what else as it was pretty unrecognizable when it made its exit. Thankfully she is well past all that puppy nonsense and doesn't eat things based on the fact that she can fit them into her mouth anymore. I wouldn't be too concerned about a little wing, I'm sure it will make its way out just fine, just keep an eye on him. They do keep us on our toes though don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by KatieRae View Post
                  Ha my 'poor guy' left the gate open after I've gotten on to him about 6 times for it already!!
                  !
                  That happened twice here. Once he got out, I lost it. Especially because he wouldn't come home, he ran across the street to play in the christmas decorations my neighbor put up that puts the Griswald's to shame.

There is a padlock on the gate, the key gets hung on the back door when the lock is off so no one can accidentally let him out. Tomorrow dog trainer is coming to teach me what she calls the perfect recall, which should calm me down.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thankfully he's pretty good. He never gets into the trash, but he is on this wild and crazy growth spurt. He turned 3 in Feb. Maybe y'all can give me some relief on this?

Rescued emaciated at 11 months around 140 lbs. Got him up to about 150 in 6 months. Stayed steady, went to vet in Jan this year, 153 lbs. June he was 169 and he's been eating 4th and 5th meal for about a week. I thought they stopped growing at 3?

Anyway, he wanted more food last night and I was like, dude. He had had 5 meals of 5 cups already. Next time, I'll give him more food. I'm assuming no need to bug my vet unless I notice he's getting fatter as opposed to bigger? He has lots of skin, but I can still see his last couple of ribs when he stands up.
                    sigpic

Comment

5 meals of 5 cups equals 25 cups of food? Or am I reading that wrong?
                      Tracy
                      sigpic
                      Mouse April 2010
                      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by supermomgonelazy View Post
                        June he was 169 and he's been eating 4th and 5th meal for about a week. I thought they stopped growing at 3?

Anyway, he wanted more food last night and I was like, dude. He had had 5 meals of 5 cups already. Next time, I'll give him more food. I'm assuming no need to bug my vet unless I notice he's getting fatter as opposed to bigger? He has lots of skin, but I can still see his last couple of ribs when he stands up.

................That happened twice here. Once he got out, I lost it. Especially because he wouldn't come home, he ran across the street to play in the christmas decorations my neighbor put up that puts the Griswald's to shame.

There is a padlock on the gate, the key gets hung on the back door when the lock is off so no one can accidentally let him out. Tomorrow dog trainer is coming to teach me what she calls the perfect recall, which should calm me down.
                        Man, now that I switched to raw, if I gave Apollo food every time he gave me the 'you're starving me' eyes, he would be a friggen blimp!

Don't feed more just because he's 'still hungry,' feed based on his body condition, and from what you're saying, he sounds like he looks great!

I definitely wouldn't be feeding 25 cups of kibble though..

Maybe the kibble you're feeding doesn't have the correct nutrient content for him? What are you feeding? Don't forget, every dog is different, and has needs specific to only them.

Thankfully, it was our house gate, not the backyard gate (we live in an upstairs apartment). I keep him restricted to only the living room and kitchen to give the cats some space when I'm not home and to keep him from getting into the litterbox and the cat food. I can't imagine watching my boy 'redecorate' my neighbor's house, though!
                        -- Katelyn

sigpic
                        Apollo

Comment

.... Ignore post. I misread.
                          Last edited by Angel7292; 07-12-2014, 01:49 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Guess what our two (since passed) naughty girls got into - in their rebellious "teenage experimenting" years???

Pain meds!!!

Jolie, our Aussie mix, had a badly torn dew claw and we were given two bottles of pain medication for her from the vet. Keep in mind that I was used to having to pretty much force feed any pill even when wrapped in cheese or bacon deliciousness for both Jolie and Kahuna, our Dane. So what did I do? I left the meds inside the two bags on our kitchen table. Kahuna must have gotten them down, and I'm sure they worked together to destroy (open) the pill bottles and then devour them all. Had it been only one of them it probably would have been not so funny.

My husband (then boyfriend) was too scared to wake me up at midnight when he discovered what had happened - as he knew I would have freaked out. So he called our ER vet and was told to monitor them for a few hours. Apparently they seemed very "mellow and relaxed" haha. Jeez - learned our lesson though.
                            -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

So are we saying that cooked bones splintering is not a big concern anymore? Is that an old wive's tale or something? I know some of this stuff isn't going to bother their guts too much, but I thought the point of the OP's question was that it was a cooked chicken bone. Just curious.

ETA: I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's five meals, at 1 cup each meal maybe? Rupert eats about 4 cups total a day.
                              ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
                              X