Metamucil dose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metamucil dose?

Duke started up with proressively loose stools over the last 4 days again, now total liquid. Until now, he had been doing well after the addition of Culturelle. He is acting perfectly fine. I want to add some metamucil, but I am not sure how much to give. The recommended adult human dose? He weighs 150. For now I don't want to ask the vet, as I am afraid she would again put him on Tylan or Cipro, which did little or nothing the last time.
    sigpic
    Deb

Duke and Ivy

I had been giving 1 tablespoon per feeding to my 50# airedale. I started to work him back down a teaspoon at a time 1tablespoon=3 teaspoons. Right now he is still at 2 teaspoons and doing fine. I figure 1 week at 2 teaspoons and I will try 1 teaspoon per feeding. I'd like to work him off completely, but one step at a time. Anyway, I'd try 1 tablespoon, see where that gets you and then work up or down from there. Merlin's poo is even a normal dark brown now, it used to be lighter when it was pudding poo and even the first 4-5 days after we started the fiber. Hopefully his intestines just needed a little help and we won't have to switch food or keep doing the fiber supp.
    Michele
    Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
    RIP my loves:
    Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

Vet had jazz at 1 TBSP also
      sigpic
      Emily
      Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
      Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
      Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Ugh. This mornings poop was normal for about 1/3 of it, then orange plop. He has had 2 liquid orange poops since. I will give him the metamucil on his dinner. I also gave him loperamide this morning and will repeat at dinner (hoping he doesn't oops through the night - he doesn't bark to go out). Also going to try some banana.

Poor baby. He is laying here and I can hear his GI tract shooting along. Thank goodness he isn't distressed.

Can rice make the problem worse? He has had nothing but chicken/rice since this first started, and it has gotten worse since.
        sigpic
        Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Has he had rice before? jazz is intolerant of rice, so yes rice can make matters worse
          sigpic
          Emily
          Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
          Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
          Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

I have been suspicious of that. The last bout didn't seem to respond to rice very well either.
            sigpic
            Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Are you giving him the metamucil w/ the orange flavor in it? or is it just the color of his poo? I give Merlin the unflavored kind.
              Michele
              Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
              RIP my loves:
              Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

No, that was before I tried the Metamucil. I tried mixing the orange kind in with rice and stuffing his cleaned marrow bone with it, he didn't like it. Nor would he eat it on his dinner. I kept up with lomotil twice a day and put him on half kibble half rice. He is now having a formed poop that is soft and bulky.
                sigpic
                Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Ditto, sorry.
                  Last edited by Moondrake; 09-16-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Ditto, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X