Can't firm up his stools... Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't firm up his stools... Help!

My 9 month old boy went through Parvo about 4-5 months ago and it left his tummy super sensitive.

About 5 weeks ago, we moved to a new home and he started having lose stools. I though that maybe it was stress from the new environment, and he was having some normal stools as well.

A couple of weeks ago we finally went to the vet because it was completely liquid. They tested a bunch of stuff and came back saying he had a swollen anal gland that could be causing the diarrhea and put him on two medications as well as giving him a shot (sorry, I do not remember which ones at the moment. I know one was cimetidine because we had it during Parvo). His stools firmed up, but were not completely normal, while on the medicines. a few days after they ended he had liquid again. I put him on no food and water for 24 hours per our vet, and then put him on boiled chicken and rice for 2 days which made him not poop at all. Last night I gave him 2 cups of his Kibble, we feed Nature's Domain, and he was up in the middle of the night with liquid poop again.

I am thinking that now we need to switch his food, but I do not know if it is normal for their tummies to all of the sudden not like the food they have been on for about 7 months? I am completely confused and just ready for my boy to be healthy.

What about the change in water?
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

It could be the water, but it is city water. We moved 5 miles away, both houses on city water. We drink the tap water and have had no human issues... I would not know what to test for though...

I forgot to add, I have tried the canned pumpkin and probiotics. Neither worked.

Comment

Ah. If you're still on the same water source, then I would think you're safe. That was an issue we had with our pup so I thought I'd throw it out there. We did discover that city water was making him sick and now he gets to drink bottled water, but our tap water is not so great.
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Hello,

Tank had a similar issue a few months back. His started right after his rabies shot (around 4 months), naturally I suspected it was related. Did tests, tried pumpkin and probiotic powder, etc. Vet even gave him a prescription, which worked while he was on it, but the diarrhea resumed within a day or two of stopping it...

Not knowing what else to try, we switched him to a grain-free kibble. Didn't see why he would suddenly have problems with his food, being he had been eating it for ~2 months, but figured we'd tried everything else . Cleared him right up and he's been great since. We feed him 4Health whitefish and potato from Tractor Supply, seems to be a good quality food for a reasonable price .

May be worth trying, hope this helps

Joe

Comment

His current food Nature's Domain is grain free, so I am think of switching him to one that is not grain free. he did so well on the chicken and rice that I'm thinking he may need it as a binder? Not sure.

Comment

Hello again,

What kind of base is his current food? Still may not hurt to try changing it. I'm not 100% sure if it was the grain or the lamb base that Tank had issue with, which is partially why I tried the fish based kibble. Had read that some dogs don't do well with lamb or chicken, but fish sometimes helps. May be worth trying a small bag to see...

Joe

Comment

Have you given probiotics and helped build the gut back up after his parvo?

I would look up leaky gut in dogs and see if that seems to fit as that would be my guess.

Comment

its a Turkey and sweet potato based food. Maybe I will try a fish base... He has such a sensitive stomach that he doesn't get table scraps so I don't know what he likes!

Thanks!

Comment

I started him on probiotics and it has been almost a month now without it helping. I will research the leaky gut for dogs.

Comment

Working...
                    X