Does Your Dane Have a Callous?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Your Dane Have a Callous?

I'm curious to know how common the callous problem is. Moose definitely has soft places to sleep and rest but sometimes he likes to rest on the sidewalk in our back yard. Each of his elbows has a fairly good sized callous, not much thickening but definitely less and shorter hair. They don't seem to cause a problem but they certainly don't look nice. Just wondering how common this is and if anyone has ideas or is this just a common thing that most danes have. Does the hair eventually grow back?

You can rub bag balm on them and they will soften up. Yea, it's a dane thing.

Comment

Riddle has had elbow calluses since he was 7 months old. He just prefers lying on the cool hard floor. I bring him a soft bed to have at work and he uses it as a pillow. I have a big bowser donut bed, a mat style bed and 90% of my bedroom carpet is also covered in those colorful foam tiles and he chooses to sleep right along the bed where it's just carpet. I can't win with him. I tried the bag balm, but unless we're going to be outside for a while I end up with greasy elbow marks all over the carpet, furniture and bed.
      Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
      Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Phin doesn't have calloused elbows, but the hair is certainly lighter / thinner there.

Personally, I can't stand bag balm. I know everyone likes to use it but I find it makes things worse. He leaves greasy elbow spots all over my wood floor and since it doesn't actually rub in, he collects dirt / sand in it and makes his elbows even darker and more dirty appearing. I just hate it. Besides, except for a barrier, I find that it really isn't softening the elbow at all. Just makes a big mess and to wash it off your hands is quite difficult and it smells like a barn. Since I like to apply at night in bed, it's not a pleasant smell to me.

After trying many products (like 6!! LOL), I found that I REALLY like Protecta-pad by Tomlyn. It's paw pad and elbow cream. Not only does it actually rub in, it doesn't streak the house up with greasy prints. Also, I believe it keeps the elbows super soft. It can be used on paw pads for the salt and winter feet too. A tiny bit goes a long way, doesn't have that awful stink and it's not greasy. I use it on Phin's elbows and his back hocks. It has a mild minty smell and even that is gone in a minute or so. Phin doesn't try to lick it and it leaves the skin feeling moisturized..

That's all I got. I haven't found any other product that fit what I liked.
        Last edited by Angel7292; 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Duke came to me at 2.5 with his elbows rough and pink, but he still doesn't have the thick solid callous. He has a comfy bed and we are carpeted in most places, but he still will lay on the wood floor sometimes.
          sigpic
          Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Working...
          X