Doctors says he is two thin:(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors says he is two thin:(

When we got Mongo last month he was 3 months old. He weighed 28.6 lbs on his first doctors appointment on March 4th. He had his second doctors appointment on March 18th and he weighed 36 lbs. So he gained 8lbs in two weeks. His next appointment is on April 15th. Doctor suggested to add a little can food to his food to get him to eat more. It did help a little. He still seems very skinny we can see more then the back two ribs. He is much taller then his last doctor visit.

He is eating. About 6 cups of Nutro Ultra for Large breed Puppies and almost 1 can of Nutro Ultra Puppy.

Any thoughts or should we wait it out?
    Last edited by MongosMommy; 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM.
    sigpic

Could you post pictures ???? Unless he is extremely underweight I wouldn't add wet food as you will have a picky eater on your hand . Pictures would really help when he is standing .
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by danelover1 View Post
      Could you post pictures ???? Unless he is extremely underweight I wouldn't add wet food as you will have a picky eater on your hand . Pictures would really help when he is standing .
      Oh no I can't have another picky eater in our house. Our kids are already picky. lol

Here is a picture I just quick took for you Thank you for your help.

sigpic

Comment

In that pic he looks pretty good? Personally, I dont like the ingredients in Nutro so wouldnt feed it. But, adding some canned in general is actually a good idea (helps reduce bloat and adds some variety and moisture to the diet).

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
          In that pic he looks pretty good? Personally, I dont like the ingredients in Nutro so wouldnt feed it. But, adding some canned in general is actually a good idea (helps reduce bloat and adds some variety and moisture to the diet).
          Thank you for commenting I'm glad he looks good to you. What food do you feed your Dane? My husband picked out the food. What ingredients do you like to stay away from?
          sigpic

Comment

I actually feed raw

Check out the kibble section here for lots of information...or a site like dogfoodanalysis.com

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
              I actually feed raw

Check out the kibble section here for lots of information...or a site like dogfoodanalysis.com
              Thank you. I will check it out.
              sigpic

Comment

I think he looks fine, not underweight at all.
                sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

He looks fine for his age. You don't want pups to be too heavy during the fast growing months.

Comment

Originally posted by zoocrew View Post
                    I think he looks fine, not underweight at all.
                    Great Good to hear. Thank you
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
                      He looks fine for his age. You don't want pups to be too heavy during the fast growing months.

Good to hear. Thank you I got worried when the doctor said he was to thin. I read that we shouldn't let him get heavy. Not that we were holding back food. That is all he wants to eat.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MongosMommy View Post
                        Good to hear. Thank you I got worried when the doctor said he was to thin. I read that we shouldn't let him get heavy. Not that we were holding back food. That is all he wants to eat.
                        many vets who aren't familiar with XXLRG breeds don't understand that ribby is the best thing for them..

Also, we are getting so used to seeing obese animals now-a-days that healthy is starting to look thin to the human eye..
                        sigpic
                        CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
                        Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
                        Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
                        Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

Mongo looks just right to me...handsome boy!

Comment

Your pup looks AWESOME.
                            ignore the vet.
                            sigpic

Comment

I agree. Your dog looks great! People tell me my pup is thin all the time too. It's just the standard belief that puppies should be pudgy and cute. I ignore them. Unless his spine and hip bones start to show I wouldn't worry.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X