Any suggestions welcome please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions welcome please?

Deuce is going to be 7 years old in May. He has been on a raw diet for a couple of years now and has been doing wonderful on it. It's still treating him well as far as his stomach. He bloated and torsioned at 2 and still has occassional tummy episodes which have been better on the raw. Our problem is that his coat has never been so bad in all his life! He is shedding like crazy and horrible dandruff. I've put him back on salmon oil which I used to have him on but have slacked off because his coat was amazing for the longest time after starting on the raw. He used to get the winter itches but that hasn't happened either. It's been a few weeks on the salmon oil but it doesn't seem to be helping. His nose is also horribly cracked, badly enough that he seems to get stuff caught in them that actually causes the occassional abscess that I have to keep trying to clean out and keep open for it to heal. I smear raw honey on after cleaning to try and help heal etc.

He has recently started having a little more trouble keeping his footing on the hard floors if he isn't careful. I have started him on a joint supplement that has glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, collagen and green lipped mussel.

Wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions? My poor boy is starting to show his age some
    Tamara and Deuce
    sigpic

I would be concerned you may have him imballanced with the raw and different supplements. I am not a vet lol but have had Danes for a long time I would try and cut out the supplements and put him on a quality kibble like orijen or something with 5 stars and do half and half with the raw diet and stick with it for a couple months. It may get him back to normal then if that works I would say he is missing some nutrients from his raw diet and you may have to figure out what it is so you can go back to full time raw.

Comment

If you are feeding Raw properly it should be perfectly balanced for him and certainly superior to kibble. I would recommend NOT switching to a kibble. The supplements you are giving seem to be appropriate and not excessive.

The fact that he has done great on Raw for 5 years indicates that it's not the Raw diet that is the problem.

I would get a blood panel done to see how everything is functioning, might find the culprit there.
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

He was on Orijen before the raw and unfortunately it wasn't working for him anymore. We are actually breaking the bank and buying him a pre-made raw instead of doing our own like we used to do. Other than that he is on the salmon oil and joint supplement. His problems started long before we put him on either of these.

You must have posted at the same time Jennifer. Ok suspecting a trip to the vet might be in order Almost scared what we may find out. I am leaving to visit my parents with my daughter on Wednesday. Wonder if we can get him in before then or not.
        Last edited by Tamara; 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM.
        Tamara and Deuce
        sigpic

Comment

I agree the supplements are a good addition - Logan gets those and also coconut oil.
          I'm thinking possibly thyroid related? Not sure but glad you're going to the vet. It's so hard to see them age. Keep us posted.
          "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
          sigpic
          Rocky & Emma
          Follow our adventures at
          www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

His skin sounds similar to what we have been going through with Loki for the past 6-8 months. His coat has always been so shiny - it's now coarse and there is dandruff. We also feed raw and have added a general supplement just in case we were missing something (Nupro) along with the GLM and Kelp. He had two blood tests done and both came back with low thyroid :/ We are now going on a month trial with the meds and then will rerun the test to see if we are making improvements.

Good luck!

Comment

Good to know, thanks. I will definitely discuss thyroid with the vet. I plan on phoning the vet tomorrow morning and hopefully can get him in before I leave. Hubby could always take him but he's not always the best at asking all the questions I would or retaining the info to pass along to me when I ask.

How old is Loki? No nose problems with him?
              Tamara and Deuce
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                How old is Loki? No nose problems with him?
                Loki just turned 4 in November. He doesn't have any nose issues - it's really just been the thinning and coarser feeling hair along with dandruff. He has put on some weight as well, but we just figured this was due to being a better eater as of late - but maybe it's related to the thyroid as well (he always had problems putting weight on - we weren't complaining with the weight gain!)

Good luck and let us know the results.

Comment

I agree that first step is a trip to the vet.

I personally use 800iu Vitamin E daily (oral supplements) and the dogs are shiny and have a super healthy coat. I use that instead of fish oils.

Good luck!
                  sigpic
                  Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
                  Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
                  Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

Hi Tamara!

It is hard when they start showing their age isn't it? Evy is having many of the same issues that Deuce is having. She will be 10 in August She is blowing her coat right now, which she does pretty much every season, and it looks and feels horrible but it normally comes back to being nice and shiny again. I also feed raw as you know but do supplement quite a bit. Most of them are old lady supplements and a couple for cardio and renal health. She does get vit E, fish oil and kelp which I believe helps her coat.

She has had the dry nose thing going on for a couple of years now but it is only the outer layer if that makes sense? So no issues with abscesses.

It has been pretty recent that Evy started to show a bit of hesitation with slippery floors. She was starting to become quite unsteady with her back end so I started taking her for acupuncture. I cannot believe the difference!!! It has helped her sooo much. We go every 6 to 8 weeks now and she loves the Dr. that does it and almost falls asleep during her treatments. She still zooms around almost daily which I have to watch because she slipped on the ice and pulled a muscle the other day. Crazy girl I do supplement with glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM as well, just OTC human stuff for now but I think I am going to try something a bit stronger soon as she is becoming a bit more stiff after long walks.

Give that boy a big kiss for me and please let me know if you would like to chat about things. I would be more than happy to share everything that I have been doing with Evy.

Take care,

Cindy & Evy
                    Sawyer, Great Dane -Rescue - 07/2012 - 3 years young
                    Shadie, Border Collie - Rescue -9 years young

Evy, Great Dane - 08/02/2003 - 04/30/2013 - RIP my sweet girl! I miss you every day...

Comment

Thanks for the info TMedic37, there is some vitamin E in the joint supplement. Not sure if it is possible to OD on that.

I am hoping Cindy that we can get Deuce to the point Evy is and still have him be relatively comfortable and happy. Like I said there is some E in the joint supplement and he is getting the fish oil now. We used to do the kelp as well but in the form of seameal.

The nose has been going on for a little bit but I have just done my best to keep it clean. Now with his coat the way it is, I'm just getting more concerned. It seems more than just blowing his coat. It has been going on for a little too long and the oil doesn't seem to be sorting it out.

Deuce does alright on our hardwood and Lino but we have some laminate and that stuff is slippery (I hate it!). He has slipped and fallen when he has gotten silly and not been careful and I have been noticing that he is stiff when he gets up from laying down. He woke me up one night with a big crash. He got up off our loveseat (hardwood in the living room) to stretch and re-position himself, shake, etc. which he does quite frequently at night. He had obviously been laying down too long because his hind legs went out from under him and he couldn't get back up! The crash woke me up and then when I heard him cry I started talking to him as fast as I could to let him know I was coming to get him. Poor boy slept with us that night and the next couple of nights as well. He won't get up off the couch or loveseat unless I have something pushed up to it for traction so he can get off. I am terrified that he is going to hurt his hips or something. I thought it was time to add a supplement back in to support him some and as soon as my daughter is crawling better and/or walking, area rugs here we come! Will be a pain to vacuum and keep clean but so much better for him. I will have to keep the acupuncture in mind and it is something that I know has made a huge difference to a lot of dogs but we'll have to see how the budget goes too :/ I am only planning to go back to work part time after mat leave is done and we are looking at possibly building a new house too. On the positive side I will be home for Deuce as well, I am starting to worry about if something happened when we were out!

We have a vet appointment for late Monday afternoon so will see what we find out from that and go from there. Hopefully we find out everything is all right and I can pick your brain Cindy (and everyone else) on supplements etc!
                      Tamara and Deuce
                      sigpic

Comment

It sounds more age/medical related than diet. Marley, while not a dane, is 13 now. Been on raw since he was around 2. He in the last couple years has been shedding a lot and is dandruffy...no nose issues though.

The supps you have sound good. You could add coconut oil too if you want. The "trifecta" if you will is fish oil, vitamin e, and coconut oil.

Comment

I love borage oil for anything skin related!
                          sigpic
                          Emily
                          Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
                          Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
                          Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

I have tried coconut oil in the past and he loved it at first but it doesn't seem to agree with him anymore unfortunately.

I have never heard of borage oil, off to do some reading!
                            Tamara and Deuce
                            sigpic

Comment

When we aren't home Evy stays in the only room in our house that has carpet. She doesn't get up on the furniture, was never much of a couch dog, so she sticks to her beds.

It has been 6 months or so that she stopped coming upstairs to bed with us. It just kills me that she sleeps downstairs by herself but our stairs are hardwood and she is nervous coming down them and has slid down them a couple of times, without hurting herself if you can believe that! We are looking to move soon and will be in a bungalow to eliminate as many stairs as possible for her.

Good luck with the appointment on Monday, I hope nothing serious is going on. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
                              Cindy & Evy
                              Sawyer, Great Dane -Rescue - 07/2012 - 3 years young
                              Shadie, Border Collie - Rescue -9 years young

Evy, Great Dane - 08/02/2003 - 04/30/2013 - RIP my sweet girl! I miss you every day...

Comment

Working...
                              X