Need a salve for healing, itching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a salve for healing, itching

My foster has an open bedsore type of thing just below her hock. Now that she has a whole house full of big soft beds, it's getting better and healing, but I can tell it itches on the edges as it heals and pulls in. What can I put on it to stop the itching, maybe speed the healing, won't sting and not harm her if she happens to lick it off? I'm not covering the area since it needs to breath and dry out to heal. I'm looking for something I can slather on multiple times a day. A cone is absolutely not an option with this foster (I seriously think she has post-traumatic shock syndrome) and if I can relieve the itching, I don't think she will mess with it much.

Thanks!
    Tracy
    sigpic
    Mouse April 2010
    Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

manuka honey works wonders and isn't toxic if they lick.
    sigpic
    In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
    Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Something I've been using with Phineas on multiple skin issues is Vetericyn Hydrogel. After going back and forth with Phin's skin staph on his chin, this is what the vet and I came up with using. It's a wound and skin care spray. Completely safe and lickable and completely safe around eyes, ears and mouth. It kills 99.9% of viruses, bacteria and fungi INCLUDING MRSP. My vet highly recommends this.

I also recommended this to another DOL'er who has had great success clearing the puppy acne with it too. She is using the hydrogel as well. I'm actually using the VF formula (veternarian formula) because it's twice as strong and Phin has / had severe staph issues. The regular hydrogel version should be plenty of help to heal the wound and if she licks it, it won't matter.

However, if you do decide to go with this, I HIGHLY suggest the Vetericyn HYDROGEL... it stays in place. The regular spray and the hydrogel version are almost identical bottles, so make sure you are getting the correct one.

Anyway, the cheapest place I've found the Vetericyn Hydrogel spray is on Amazon. Here is the link:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Animal-HydroGel-16-Ounce-Trigger/dp/B00337KW8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360684156&sr=8-1&keywords=vetericyn+hydrogel"]Amazon.com: Vetericyn All Animal HydroGel Spray, 16-Ounce Trigger: Pet Supplies[/ame]
      sigpic

Comment

There are a ton of things you could use but a quick easy one would be coconut oil which you add a bit of lavender to.

Comment

My 2 must haves are manuka honey and Dr Harvey's cream I use them both religiously depending on what the wound is. here is a link to Dr Harvey's stuff (I even use it on myself)

http://www.drharveys.com/products/sh...-healing-cream
          sigpic
          Emily
          Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
          Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
          Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have some real manuka honey ordered. That took some research. There are cheap knock off honeys out there. Who knew? I settled on 100% RAW UMF 16+ ACTIVE MANUKA HONEY 1.1lb by Haddrell's of Cambridge. Sold by Kevin's Natural Spot on Amazon.
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Bringing this back up...

I just ordered the Vetericyn HYDROGEL and the Dr. Harvey's cream. Echo immediately licks off the manuka honey and I can't devise a wrap she won't remove. Wraps make it worse because she futzes with them, too.

I just can't get this pressure wound to heal up...it gets almost healed--and then she licks too much and opens it back up.

Hopefully, this gel or the cream does some good. It's frustrating. I just can't cone her at this point--she's just now relaxing and making huge progress, emotionally.
              Last edited by mnmouse; 05-04-2013, 12:44 PM.
              Tracy
              sigpic
              Mouse April 2010

Comment

Granulex is a spray/dropper bottle that was originally made for people with bedsores in a hospital type of environment. I always keep a can on hand just in case. You can also spray Colloidal Silver on it. I use this for everything. Both can be purchased on Amazon.

Comment

Lucas Paw Paw ointment. It's used for bites, stings, hot spots, rashes, chapped lips and its completely natural. From what I've seen you can't get it in the states but you can order it online.
                  sigpic
                  Hamish: Great Dane born July 25 2011
                  Sophie: English Mastiff born May 30 2009
                  Visit my blog at http://gonetothebigdogs.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have used EMT Gel for my Dogs for different reasons and it has worked well. I got it at the Farm and Tractor store for $15. It says it is Natural Hydrolysate of Collagen. My Doberman had a cracked paw pad and I put this on it and it helped it heal faster. It is really sticky and you have to only put a thin layer on or it will not dry well. I put on a thin layer and use the blow dryer on the cool setting to help it dry. It says you dont have to clean the old stuff off before you put on new so that was good. I did wash it with surgical soap every few days though. She kind of still wanted to lick it so I put a sock on her leg with the bottom cut out so that the sock still covered her wound area on her foot. I secured the sock with vet wrap. This has worked great and she hasn't tried to lick her foot during the day. I have had to put the cone on at night though because she will take the sock off if left alone too long. Her paw is almost healed now. If you want to read more about the Gel go to www.emtgel.com. Good luck! Hope you can find something that will work!!
                    sigpic
                    There Is Nothing Like A Dane!!!!!!
                    Cheech~Chihuahua~5/26/98-4/23/10
                    Valentina~Merle Dane~11/1/03-2/3/12
                    Emalee~12 1/2 yrs Red Doberman
                    Takoa~2 1/2 yrs ~Harlequin Dane
                    Sunshine~11 3/4 yr Orange Tabby

Comment

Another good thing is emu oil. We have used it on livestock, dogs and ourselves. The stuff is wonderful.

Comment

I think you can sprinkle a little bad tasting gold bond, or bitter apple over the honey so it tastes bad. gold bond worked well for me.
                        sigpic
                        Myboy RIP at 2 1/2 product of BYB

Comment

is there any way i can "star" this thread? while i have no need for any of these products now, i know at some point all this info will come in handy.. thanks ya'll for all the great information!
                          sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

I have used EMT gel with great results, but for itchy spots I use
                            "Itch Stick". Got it at Petsmart, looks like a stick deodorant, just smear it on. Has novocaine in it, so numbs the itch and some aloe vera as well as antiseptics. Very bitter but nontoxic. Worked great for a bee sting that Jake would just NOT leave alone.
                            sigpic
                            Second hand dogs = first class love!

Comment

Working...
                            X