Anal Gland Question....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anal Gland Question....

Last night we were visiting my parents out of town. My DH had Gary outside, trying to get him to potty. He was a little reserved, being in a new place with new smells, etc.

While they were standing there, a loud truck roared by and scared the CRAP out of Gary...literally. I think his anal gland might have emptied. When they came back in the house, his rear end STUNK. At first I thought he farted, but the smell didn't go away. I wiped his butt with some wet paper towels and there didn't seem to be any discharge or anything. When we got home, our other dog was going crazy trying to smell Gary's butt. You would have thought we brought home a new dog. So it's like even Jager could tell that Gary's butt smelled different.

This morning he seems normal and I don't smell the stink anymore. But I've never had this happen before. Normal? Is there anything we have to do? Is this something that will continue to happen? Or am I completely wrong and that's not what happened? I'm such a paranoid new mommy. I just want to make sure he's ok, and there's nothing further we need to do about this.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by GreatDaneGary; 11-01-2012, 07:43 AM. Reason: Fix Spelling Error
    sigpic
    ~ Mama to 4 kids and 2 fur-babies ~
    Gary ~ Great Dane ~ Merle Male
    Jager ~ Wiener Dog ~ Black & Tan

I cant help with your situation unfortunately, I just wanted to put a disclaimer out there not to ever read a post titled "anal gland" when you're eating breakfast! Lol

Apparently I wasn't that hungry after all! Lol
    My little Bogartsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mohitto View Post
      I cant help with your situation unfortunately, I just wanted to put a disclaimer out there not to ever read a post titled "anal gland" when you're eating breakfast! Lol

Apparently I wasn't that hungry after all! Lol
      Bahahaha....I laughed for awhile after I read your post!!!

On another note, I hope Gary is just fine!
      sigpicMy blue baby Denali-8 1/2 months and my brindle girl Dova-4 months

Comment

Originally posted by GreatDaneGary View Post
        This morning he seems normal and I don't smell the stink anymore. But I've never had this happen before. Normal? Is there anything we have to do? Is this something that will continue to happen? Or am I completely wrong and that's not what happened? I'm such a paranoid new mommy. I just want to make sure he's ok, and there's nothing further we need to do about this.

Thanks guys!
        Totally normal. And no, there isn't anything you have to do, LOL except wipe his butt clean when it happens! Be glad he wasn't laying next to you on the couch when that happened!
        sigpic

Comment

Can't say whether or not that is what happened.............but anal gland discharge smells VERY different than smell. You would know the difference if you smelled it. It is a very fishy kind of stink and it would stick around if he got it on his bum.............you would need to give him a bath to get the stink off.

Its possible he got the poop scared out of him. I've had that happen before when I worked at a kennel and a dog got loose. I went to grab her before she ran down the hallway and ended up with liquid all over my arm. I kept my composure and leashed her and put her where she was supposed to go before I ran into the kitchen to wash my arm off, about losing my breakfast in the process. :P
          sigpic

Chris, mom to: Keiko--husky/shep mix (RIP), Gunther--great dane, Nigel and Posey--rat terriers, Pasta--cockatiel, Louigi--peach fronted conure, Hamlet--blue crowned conure

Comment

Originally posted by zoocrew View Post
            Can't say whether or not that is what happened.............but anal gland discharge smells VERY different than smell. You would know the difference if you smelled it. It is a very fishy kind of stink and it would stick around if he got it on his bum.............you would need to give him a bath to get the stink off.
            THIS!!! Yes, it was a very different smell than poop. Actually, I didn't think the smell was coming from him at first because it was a weird smell I've never smelt before. My dad had just returned from hunting and got a huge buck... And at first I thought maybe the smell was coming from my dad, from the deer. But unfortunately, the smell followed me around like velcro. I was finally forced to sniff Gary's butt... and HOLY COW... he was the problem!!

Glad to know it's normal. Thanks guy!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Poor guy! I hope being scared like that doesn't make it hard for him to poop anywhere but home...

I like to use baby wipes to clean off anal gland yuck - I think they work a little better than wet paper towels.
              sigpicBubbles the lap puppy

Comment

Im so glad you posted this ... kinda ... Lol. Rexi scared Merlin the other day (not really sure what, I think she just got annoyed with him lol) and it was GOD AWFUL and I seriously thought that is what happened but couldn't find any goop (thankfully). Well, now I know it is probably in my carpet. Woopie.
                sigpic
                Merlin and Rexi

Comment

Originally posted by muffy View Post
                  Im so glad you posted this ... kinda ... Lol. Rexi scared Merlin the other day (not really sure what, I think she just got annoyed with him lol) and it was GOD AWFUL and I seriously thought that is what happened but couldn't find any goop (thankfully). Well, now I know it is probably in my carpet. Woopie.
                  Oh my... In the carpet = NOT GOOD! Is it not the WORST smell ever?!!! I'm sooo glad Gary's happened outside. But even then, his butt stunk SO BAD it was ridiculous!!! I ended up giving him a tubby the next day, even though I couldn't smell it anymore, obviously our other dog could because he would not leave Gary's butt alone.

For some reason getting this smell in carpet reminds me of about how bad it would be to get skunk smell out of carpet. It's so potent. *GAG*

I hope you can find the spot and get the smell out.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GreatDaneGary View Post
                    Oh my... In the carpet = NOT GOOD! Is it not the WORST smell ever?!!! I'm sooo glad Gary's happened outside. But even then, his butt stunk SO BAD it was ridiculous!!! I ended up giving him a tubby the next day, even though I couldn't smell it anymore, obviously our other dog could because he would not leave Gary's butt alone.

For some reason getting this smell in carpet reminds me of about how bad it would be to get skunk smell out of carpet. It's so potent. *GAG*

I hope you can find the spot and get the smell out.
                    Thankfully I think it was only a drop because I sure can't smell it anymore - granted I'm not hands and knees on the carpet or anything lol. Hopefully nature's miracle will work, or dyzon zorbs. lol.
                    sigpic
                    Merlin and Rexi

Comment

Working...
                    X