• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMONEY
    started a topic What would you do? 8.5 year old dane in liver failure

What would you do? 8.5 year old dane in liver failure

(sorry this is so long)

Last week I noticed her belly was distended & *tight*. My first reaction was bloat... but she seemed perfectly happy and healthy with the proper amount of energy (if not more) for an 8+ year old dane. So I get her to the vet's office on Saturday and after a battery of tests it has been narrowed down to liver failure. We were all optomistic Yesterday because she appeared up beat, willing to eat the vet's treats etc etc.

Well he put her on lasiks (sp?) yesterday to start drawing the fluid backup off of her. That's when thing started going down hill. She's since developed diarhea and started vomiting.
    Is this a result of a progression in liver damage or being on the lasiks... or both?

Vet told us the prognosis wasn't good because she wouldn't eat and was depressed but she seems to liven up when I go to see here.

My first instinct is to money whip the vet in an attempt to get her better. In my mind if it weren't for this silly little liver thing she'd be just fine otherwise. Am I deluding myself? Will getting an ultrasound & finding out the problem actually get us that much closer to taking a healthy happy "puppy" home. Or am I just being selfish because the though of losing my dog is too much to take? Is it time for me to say good bye? Or does she still have a chance even at the age of 8.5 yrs?

Thanks DOL. This is possibly the hardest decision i've made in a long time. There will never be another Dog for me like her but at the same time I only want to do what is best for her in the long run. That is why I'm coming here... I need some outside perspective.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by TMONEY; 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM.

• kas160
    replied
    So sorry for your loss, it is never easy

Leave a comment:

• DextersMomma
    replied
    So very sorry for your loss i hope the new puppy brings some light back into your lives

Leave a comment:

• Blue's Mom
    replied
    I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words to make it any better.

Leave a comment:

• Lacey
    replied
    Im so sorry to hear that. The night we got our mastiff puppy our 17 year old aussie passed in her sleep. We were hoping shed stick around to train him too. But sadly with her bilogical son passing two weeks prior i think she was ready to go and when we brought home oxford she knew we'd be okay.

A new pup wont replace your other baby. But eventually youll be happy again. Im so sorry for your loss

Leave a comment:

• TMONEY
    replied
    Update:

My Great Dane passed away this past weekend. We're supposed to pick up a dane puppy this weekend. I had so hoped she would stick around long enough to train another.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobyrescued
    replied
    Thinking about you, hope your furkid pulls through. Glad to hear of improvements If this is helpful to you at all, milk thistle is the only supplement the liver transplant team recommends to our liver transplant patients. That's for humans anyways.

Leave a comment:

• IwannaDane
    replied
    I have nothing to offer, but y'all are in my thoughts.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• "The Boys" Mom
    replied
    Glad to hear treatment is going well. Spoil the heck of your girl while you have her! That's our plan with Loki

Leave a comment:

• jenni0482
    replied
    Thinking of you!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cqpr2b

Leave a comment:

• TMONEY
    replied
    My big baby is doing as well as expected.
    She doesn't appear to be in pain.

The one thing she IS doing that she didn't do before is demand a spot in the bed with me... Kicking the lab OUT!

Tried staying at the vet with her but they asked me not to because she got so excited she pulled her IVs out.

She's doing well, seems to be happy, energetic and needy. Just wants to have her belly scratched.

I'll look into the milk thistle, she's on a cocktail of about 7 meds right now. But she's happy which is all that matters to me. If it weren't for the fact that she lost about 10lbs you'd never know this dog is sick. Shes eating properly now and just being her self.

I wish I could take her on walks but IMO its just getting to hot to do at night and I leave for work EARLY (I love my pups... but 5am is already too early for me)

so I'm just letting her take it easy.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and advice. Andipanda thank you so much. That is the exact kind of advice I needed to hear. I'm much more ready now (so I think) for the time when it comes. I think I was just so blind sided because she didn't seem to feel bad to me... just a weird distended stomach. I'm keeping an eye on her but I will defintely keep those things in mind... it helps keep the decision objective rather than guessing. Which is hard at such an emotional time.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Leave a comment:

• "The Boys" Mom
    replied
    I haven't posted this yet because just thinking about it makes me sad, but my Loki (10 in July) is going thru this too. Loki went off his food, which is a BIG alarm in our house, about 2 months ago. Tests showed he has poor liver function. His uric acid levels were very low. We did an ultra sound and found the same as you did. Liver is covered in growths. Due to the location of Loki's liver, to do a biopsy we'd have to knock him out completely. This isn't an option with Loki these days. And really even having the cancer diagnoses confirmed with a biopsy wouldnt change the way our vet is treating him due to his age and our view of things. So, Loki is taking Urasil (uric acid) to make up for his liver not making it, milk thistle and Sam-e. We've added wet food to entice him to eat. So far he is still havin more good days than bad. If he had to live at the vets I'd know it was time. Loki's last days will be spent at home with us. Good luck finding he right treatment for your friend. I'll keep you in my thoughts

Leave a comment:

• Sevren
    replied
    You are in my thoughts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• Erin B.
    replied
    I also suggest you spend as much time with her as possible, take her home if you can, if not hang out at the vet until they kick you out. I did this when Fletcher was hospitalized after bloat surgery, I just sat with him. They let me stay until probably 1AM. Then I went back the next morning. I agree with audreys about the milk thistle; if they are not able to tolerate that, chloropyll added to the water is a milder way to build up the liver. I'm all about trying natural stuff, but only you can assess her quality of life. She is your baby and I do believe you know if it's time to let go. You guys are in my prayers during this time.

Leave a comment:

• audreys
    replied
    Not saying that this could help but I don't think it would hurt.
    Has the vet suggested Milk Thistle and SAM-E?

I had a dane that was in liver failure at age 6. Vet said she would not make it. Started her on this supplements and a few months later, she was fine, She lived until 12 and died from sinus cancer.
    Not saying you will get the same result.
    Sending good mojo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X