Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do? 8.5 year old dane in liver failure

(sorry this is so long)

Last week I noticed her belly was distended & *tight*. My first reaction was bloat... but she seemed perfectly happy and healthy with the proper amount of energy (if not more) for an 8+ year old dane. So I get her to the vet's office on Saturday and after a battery of tests it has been narrowed down to liver failure. We were all optomistic Yesterday because she appeared up beat, willing to eat the vet's treats etc etc.

Well he put her on lasiks (sp?) yesterday to start drawing the fluid backup off of her. That's when thing started going down hill. She's since developed diarhea and started vomiting.
    Is this a result of a progression in liver damage or being on the lasiks... or both?

Vet told us the prognosis wasn't good because she wouldn't eat and was depressed but she seems to liven up when I go to see here.

My first instinct is to money whip the vet in an attempt to get her better. In my mind if it weren't for this silly little liver thing she'd be just fine otherwise. Am I deluding myself? Will getting an ultrasound & finding out the problem actually get us that much closer to taking a healthy happy "puppy" home. Or am I just being selfish because the though of losing my dog is too much to take? Is it time for me to say good bye? Or does she still have a chance even at the age of 8.5 yrs?

Thanks DOL. This is possibly the hardest decision i've made in a long time. There will never be another Dog for me like her but at the same time I only want to do what is best for her in the long run. That is why I'm coming here... I need some outside perspective.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by TMONEY; 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM.

I have to wonder if part of the problem (the depression) isn't because she really, really misses you. Is there any way you could bring her home and just have her go to the vet for treatments? I don't know much about the lasik, I'm afraid.
    1 Great Dane - Castiel (white-deaf and visually impaired). 4 cats - Shinigami, Peter Parker, Dial Home Device aka DHD and Mobile Analytical Laboratory Probe aka MALP. 3 reformed feeder rats - Steve , Tony and Bruce. 1 sugar glider - Donna.

A home with a wealth of animals, on our journey to becoming a home with a wealth of animals and a dearth of clutter.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing! She perked right up and was so happy to see me. I've decided to spend 30min with her each morning and each night.

Apparently the lasiks is a type of diuretic and can cause a severe drop in blood pressure. As a result they want to monitor her progress. Right now she is also on IV drip and liver protecting vitamins. So we have to keep her there.

I'm not going to lie, I'd love nothing more than to bring her home. It's weird not having her there.

Comment

I would talk o the vet. Is the office staffed 24/7? If not, I would bring her home at night and back in the morning.

Ozzy is almost 9 and when I'm gone wont eat and gets depressed. He likes being at home with his family.

Best of luck, it's a hard decision.

Comment

If it will help you to know what's going on to see if there's something treatable, do the ultrasound. It's not a painful thing and may give you more info to decide what to do. They can also take a biopsy of the liver to see what pathology may be going on.

What is her blood work like?
          sigpic
          Crystal
          Owned by:
          Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
          CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
          Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
          Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

I just wanted to send thoughts & prayers your way! Hope they can make your baby feel better.
            sigpic Brenda
            RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
            Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Sending healing vibes your way! I've had relatives and friends with dogs on Lasix -- vomiting and diarrhea were a common side effect. So I would definitely talk to your vet some more and not assume it is worsening liver function. If it were me, I would at least go so far as an ultrasound and/or biopsy to try to determine the severity of and possibilities of treatment for her condition.
              Warm wishes!

Comment

Update...

The vet said that Biopsies are dangerous so didn't do one. But said that after the ultrasound she saw little spots all in the liver and that it's either liver cancer or something else causing portal hypertension. Regardless it's not good and she could be with us for days or months but her time left in this world is shorter than I had hoped.

She's all of the sudden incontinent. Could this be the result of the Lasix even though she's no longer on them or something else?

Comment

While I don't have any advice for you, I just want to say my heart goes out to you. When dealing with any type of illness, especially one so serious and sudden, it is such a difficult thing to go through. We will keep you in our Ts&Ps!
                  Karen - Myles, Keegan, Clare and Murphy
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TMONEY View Post
                    Update...

The vet said that Biopsies are dangerous so didn't do one. But said that after the ultrasound she saw little spots all in the liver and that it's either liver cancer or something else causing portal hypertension. Regardless it's not good and she could be with us for days or months but her time left in this world is shorter than I had hoped.

She's all of the sudden incontinent. Could this be the result of the Lasix even though she's no longer on them or something else?
                    When my Titan was on Lasix before he passed, he was incontinent. He would be lying down and urinate all over himself.

I was told it was the meds.

Comment

Yes, the lasix will make her pee like crazy, and she may not be able to hold it. This happens with elderly people given the drug also. I would bring her home, and love on her; and look at her quality of life.

Basically now, she is living in the hospital, where she is depressed and unhappy. I would bring her home, and let her know that she is adored and loved. Then do the ultimate test of selflessness....list the top 5 things that she used to LOVE to do -- can she still do them ?

If her list is lie in the sun, eat treats, moan and groan over belly rubs, take a short walk, and walk in her yard -- can she still do those things that make her happy ? If not, it may be time to let her go.....

These decisions are never easy, believe me....I've had to make those terrible decisions myself, and agonize each time that I have to do it, and then second guess myself until enough people here on DOL tell me that I did the only "RIGHT" thing I could do....

For me, it is a quality of life decision. Is this illness cureable ? Can she LIVE WITH IT ? Is she in pain ? Can the pain be controlled ?

I know how hard this is. Most of us have been there and done that way too many times.

Either way, both ways, any way....we will be here for you both.

Andi

Comment

I second, third and forth what Andi said.
                        Kenda's short list became none on Wednesday, so we let her go.
                        It is one of the hardest decisions to make, but it is the most selfless thing you can do.
                        If she were mine, I would bring her home and love what ever time you have with her.
                        My thoughts are with you.

teresa
                        Teresa
                        sigpic

Comment

I just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you.
                          sigpic
                          CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
                          Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
                          Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
                          Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

Not saying that this could help but I don't think it would hurt.
                            Has the vet suggested Milk Thistle and SAM-E?

I had a dane that was in liver failure at age 6. Vet said she would not make it. Started her on this supplements and a few months later, she was fine, She lived until 12 and died from sinus cancer.
                            Not saying you will get the same result.
                            Sending good mojo.
                            "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

I also suggest you spend as much time with her as possible, take her home if you can, if not hang out at the vet until they kick you out. I did this when Fletcher was hospitalized after bloat surgery, I just sat with him. They let me stay until probably 1AM. Then I went back the next morning. I agree with audreys about the milk thistle; if they are not able to tolerate that, chloropyll added to the water is a milder way to build up the liver. I'm all about trying natural stuff, but only you can assess her quality of life. She is your baby and I do believe you know if it's time to let go. You guys are in my prayers during this time.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X