No announcement yet.

Ivomec dosage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if Aces reaction wasn't an allergic reaction but a burn. He lost all his hair where it was applied,but I purchased it from my vet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessday06 View Post
      I love my animals very dearly and try to take very good care of them. The only problem I have with getting topical meds from my Vet around here is the mark-up. It's kinda like price gouging on gas. Happens a lot in this area!
      Economics lesson: A practice that pays its staff and offers benefits like health insurance, 401(k), discounted veterinary services, invests in expensive equipment (digital xrays, endoscopy equipment, etc.) obviously has an amount of overhead that is simply the cost of doing business. In order to be able to provide the service, it has to be paid for somehow. Yes there is a markup and you can buy it cheaper from someone else who doesn't have those expenses and who knows if you get any support.
      It's no secret that the pharmacy-side of the veterinary business is shrinking. Yet the income has to come from somewhere. Any predictions on what is going to happen to the non-pharmacy fees (exams, diagnostics, surgery...) as the pharmacy business continues to erode?
      Warren Briggs, DVM
      www.ocvh.com
      www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

That's why I like our RM vet. He is predominantly large animal but does have lots of small animal experience. He does not take any new small animal clients but will always fit In police/EMS. Costs are so low due to the RM paying for everything. I had two exams and two weeks of medications for less than $7. That is not a typo. For major surgeries and what not I go elsewhere but for vaccs and meds.... RM vet in a heartbeat. They make their money with cows/horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
        Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
        Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

I'm not throwing off on Vets, I worked at this particular Vet so I know about costs. I also know about how his practice works. And I know that he is notorious for suggesting things be done that are not really needed just to make the money. The other Vet in the area is the same way. I was referring to them and not ALL vets.
          Mommy to Chloe (Human,6) Gracie (Schnauzer,2) Minnie Mouse (Dane,9 months)

Comment

Originally posted by Jessday06 View Post
            I'm not throwing off on Vets...he is notorious for suggesting things be done that are not really needed just to make the money....
            Ouch...black eye on the profession for sure. Thanks for the clarification and stay away from the bad ones who have no agenda other than churining the $!! Here's a sign: If the practice fails to reinvest in itself with advances in equipment or improvement in the facility/maintenance, you know that more is dropping to the bottom line (owners pocket). Good medicine is good business. I think that a successful practice & owner will be successful not because of their fee structure but because of the quality of medicine/surgery that they provide.
            Warren Briggs, DVM
            www.ocvh.com
            www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

I agree. And sadly enough I worked there and was friends with him so I saw everything firsthand. As for teh other Vet in the area, I don't know what their deal is. I guess they figure if the competition is making money they should too! I wish we had some honest Vets around here. New Jersey is a little far fro me to drive or I would come see you, LOL.
              Mommy to Chloe (Human,6) Gracie (Schnauzer,2) Minnie Mouse (Dane,9 months)

Comment

I just found some handy info on orally administering the injectable cattle/swine Ivomec 1% solution.

Plumbs Vet Handbook says the dose for Ivomec is
                dog's weight in pounds (divided) by 2.2 = the weight in Kg.

Now (multiply) the Kg by .006

Round up to the next number, never round down, for the correct dosage for your dogs weight. To overdose your dog you would need to give 10x the amount needed.

example: for a 100lb dog

100 (divided by) 2.2 = 45.45454545454545 kg
                45.45454545454545Kg (multiplied by) .006 = 0.2727272727272727 cc

Correct dosage for a 100lb dog = .3cc (or 3 marks on a 3cc syringe)

The exact dosage is 0.0272 ml per 10 pounds of body weight, approximately 0.03 cc per 10 pounds of body weight.

Some generic #'s for dosing (if you are unsure of your dogs weight or your math skills:

* up to 14 pounds: 1 drop (0.05 cc)
                * 15 to 29 pounds: 0.1 cc
                * 30 to 58 pounds: 0.2 cc
                * 59 to 88 pounds: 0.3 cc
                * 89 to 117 pounds: 0.4 cc
                * 118 to 147 pounds: 0.5 cc.

Also something I found today doing some research that I thought was an interesting read.

Most veterinarians have a "fear bottle" in their office which shows a canine heart riddled with spaghetti-like heartworms. Nothing generates cash like a heartworm fear bottle -- a veterinarian will often place one prominently in his or her office as a kind of cash-generating machine since one look will sell a heartworm test and year's worth of Heartgard, no questions asked.

So where do these fear bottles come from?

I've been told by a pharmaceutical sales representative that most of these wormy hearts in these jars come from stray animals killed in Mexico, and that the heart specimens themselves (often decades old) were given out by pharmaceutical company representatives when they first began selling Heartgard back in 1986.

One thing for sure: today, you can got to Maine and find a wormy heart in a jar even though the local veterinarian has never even seen a dog with this problem in the last 20 years.

There is no "preventive" medicine for Heartworm.
                Despite what your veterinarian may have told you, there is NO "prevention" for heartworm infection; there is only heartworm treatment. ALL heartworm medicines work the same way -- they kill heartworm microfilaria present in the body of the dog.
                In most of the country, only seasonal heatworm "prevention" is needed.

The short story here is that heartworm is a kind of nematode (dirofilaria immitis) spread by mosquitoes (and only by mosquitoes).

The lifecycle of the nematode involves six stages, and a dog can get infected with heartworm only if two of these stages are fully completed inside the body of the mosquito, and those stages can only be completed inside the body of the mosquito if the temperature stays above 57 degrees for at least 45 days straight, both day and night.

If the temperature drops below 57 degrees even once during that 45-day period, the lifecycle of the nematode is broken, and heartworm cannot be transmitted to your dog. What this means, in simple terms, is that a year-round program of Heartgard (sometimes spelled 'Heartguard") or some other "preventative" medicine is NOT needed in most of the country outside of Florida, the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

all of these quotes came from
                http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2008/05/billion-dollar-heartworm-scam.html

sigpic
                A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

BLS not your fault (you're trying to do a service to forum members) but I personally find those site quotes blasphemous and totally misinformed / misinterpreted.
                  Here's a useful link describing what we all have to forward to in 2012-
                  http://www.heartwormsociety.org/inth...pril-press.pdf
                  Warren Briggs, DVM
                  www.ocvh.com
                  www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

I didn't say I believed it or that it was true, I said it was interesting. That's why I posted a link to where I read it.

I'm sorry you feel that way (I did not intend to hurt any feelings with the post), and can also understand, but I still found it 'interesting' none-the-less .. but to get to the bottom of things sometimes you have to sort through the mud.

Thank you for the reply link, I will be reading it shortly.
                    sigpic
                    A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Working...
                    X