Heartworm Prevention Shot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartworm Prevention Shot?

When I went to buy Olive's heartworm prevention after we used her last pill, they asked me about a heartworm prevention shot that lasts for 6 months. I'd never heard of it and stuck with just buying 6 months of pills but I wanted to ask around and see if 1) anyone's heard of it and 2) what are your recommendations based on what you know?

I like the idea of making sure she gets her pill every month because then I know she is covered. So the idea of taking something that is supposed to just last for 6 months makes me wonder.
    Wife to Brian
    Mommy to 3 skin kids - Kaleb (6) and twins Ben and Ella (3) - and Olive, Great Dane (2)!
    <3

sigpic

It is probably Proheart 6. I don't use it, I don't like the idea of giving a big amount of toxic chemicals at once. I don't have any problem remembering to give it monthly.

Comment

I have wondered this myself!! and think it would be great if it works as well as advertised!
      sigpicMother to Capone aka Pony Black Great Dane , English Mastiff Bella and Sophie the Tennessee Walking horse! Grace The English Mastiff is over the Rainbow Bridge

Comment

I have had Amos on the pro heart plan for the last four years.While it was recalled early on,the problem was found to be with a particular breed specific genetic(collies i think) that vets are aware of and can be tested for.Heart Guard was not protecting dogs in the central Mississippi valley region of the country where heartworms are a major problem.We have had no problems with proheart,so have continued to use it.Dogs must be blood tested and be heartworm clear before its use.I know of no other Dane owners in the area using it.
        Sam an Amos

Comment

I really only like using it in dogs that have been on an ivermectin product before and tolerated it well that is owned by someone who can't remember to give the monthly chewable.

I worry about reactions though it really is supposed to be safe
          sigpic
          Crystal
          Owned by:
          Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
          CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
          Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
          Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Originally posted by DextersMomma View Post
            I really only like using it in dogs that have been on an ivermectin product before and tolerated it well that is owned by someone who can't remember to give the monthly chewable.

I worry about reactions though it really is supposed to be safe
            We use Worm Shield, it's an ivermectin/pyrantel tablet. But...I do remember to give it to her every month. I have a note on the calendar, an alarm on my phone for the day before and day of and so far we haven't missed a dose. I just wonder....what if the dog gains weight? Does it still protect? Olive is 1 year, 1 month...I don't see her having any major growth spurts. But I just don't know how I feel about it...and yes reactions do worry me, too.

I think I may pass on it for now. I like the security of KNOWING that I fed her a tablet every month and that she is FOR SURE protected. We did have her screened last year around 6 months and will do it again this year.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!
            Wife to Brian
            Mommy to 3 skin kids - Kaleb (6) and twins Ben and Ella (3) - and Olive, Great Dane (2)!
            <3

sigpic

Comment

I chose to use it because Amos was heartworm positive when I rescued him and after discussing it with my vet,we chose to treat with immiticide and during the treatments I became acquainted with a local lab owner who's dogs tested positive even though they were getting the recomended heartgard dose in a timely manner.One was treated with immiticide,the other was treated slow kill method with ivermectin,both by my vet.Neither survived.Necropsy showed it to be the mp3 strain which appeared resistant to ivermectin based preventitives.After Amos tested clear,we(myself and my vet)chose to use a moxidectin based preventitive,not because I might forget,but because it was more effective against the mp3 strain,found in the Mississipp River Valley region.I was given the fact sheet and we discussed potential adverse reactions,but due to enviromental factors(region,standing water,unprotected dogs,etc)the benefits outweighed the risk.As with other vaccines,it was spaced timewise to avoid conflict.I have continued to use it as it has caused us no problems and gives me an added sense of security,but would caution others to read the fact sheet,discuss it thoroughly with a trusted vet and make an informed choice.In most areas of the country and for most dogs it would not be my first choice.
              Sam and Amos

Comment

This is OT, but has anyone noticed that Costco is carrying it's own flea/tick prevention? It is not the same ingredient as Frontline. I cannot remember the name of the ingredient, but it started with an E. It was $19.99 for 6 months. I have my Frontline for the season, was just curious about this stuff.
                sigpic
                Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeetlemom View Post
                  This is OT, but has anyone noticed that Costco is carrying it's own flea/tick prevention? It is not the same ingredient as Frontline. I cannot remember the name of the ingredient, but it started with an E. It was $19.99 for 6 months. I have my Frontline for the season, was just curious about this stuff.
                  I don't know about that but I saw that Wal-Mart (of all places) is now stocking their pharmacy with heartworm prevention.
                  Wife to Brian
                  <3

sigpic

Comment

Fred Meyer pharmacy also has frontline now. And FTR the walmart brand (petarmor) of frontline works just as well if not better as the name brand!

Comment

I would not use OTC flea products on my dogs...way too risky.
                      Also PetArmour and other type "generic" products were suppose to be removed from the stores per court order last year.
                      sigpic
                      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                      Associate Member GDCNE
                      Member GSPCA
                      Member NAVHDA
                      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

We only use what we purchase at the vet. Normally, we don't use flea/tick product unless we see them because we haven't had an issue. But with the winter being so mild, we are using it this summer.

Originally posted by kahluadanes View Post
                        I would not use OTC flea products on my dogs...way too risky.
                        Also PetArmour and other type "generic" products were suppose to be removed from the stores per court order last year.
                        Wife to Brian
                        <3

sigpic

Comment

Waiting until you actually see fleas can be too late to start treatment..by the time you see fleas on your pet you already have fleas in your home..adult fleas only make up 5% of the flea issue. You can have fleas and not even see them on your pet since they don't spend full time on the pet..they get on feed and leave. They like darker places that aren't well traveled..like under furniture, around baseboards & the like.
                          sigpic
                          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                          Associate Member GDCNE
                          Member GSPCA
                          Member NAVHDA
                          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
                          X