Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh...puppy acne now!

Oh my Penny!!
    She has now decided to go on and get a grungy case of puppy acne...at first we did/ are still doing the wiping, RACV, listerine...Nothing has worked. Same as with her green vajingles (which is still green even after spay). So now we have very irritated red bloody bumps on her face ...she doesn't seem to be bothered by any of these issues as much as I am grossed out by the colorful array of discharges I have been cleaning up the past few weeks

I have looked through some threads but there has to be something we haven't tried! Any suggestions??

Here's the solutions I've read about before.

1) Yellow listerine
    2) Apple Cider Vinegar (a little in the water bowl)
    3) Keep the METAL bowl clean
    4) Grain-free diets
    5) Stridex pads (Aloe)...Use mornings, after meals, and before bed

Hopefully more people can add to this list
    ~ Erin ~
    "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
    sigpic

Comment

When you get it figured out, let me know.

Seriously, we've been battling the puppy acne forever. We do all the 'recommended' steps and nothing helped. The last round of antibiotics we did actually had it cleared up by day 3 (woohoo) and his face was beautiful. As soon as the antibiotics were done, it came back a bit. Not nearly as bad as it was when we had to put him on the antibiotics. His face was a mess between oozing and bleeding.

Our next vet visit, we are going to take a sample and see if we might need to change up the antibiotic and if there is something else going on in there bacteria wise.

One of our major problems is that he has a ton of "face" under there. His chin wrinkles are deep, tight Shar Pei like wrinkles. I HAVE started something new. I was washing his face after every meal and it wasn't helping. Now I am using baby wipes, the Pampers Sensitive skin one. He is still having a mild issue but nothing like before.

ETA: We did try the Listerine (yellow original) and Phineas refused to allow you to put it on his face. The smell was just too objectionable. I put the bottle of Listerine in the bathroom. Last week, I heard my 16 YO in the bathroom gagging.. then choking... then screaming. LMAO... He used that yellow listerine. HAHA He thought it was like the regular mouthwash we buy him and took a big swig. That stuff is potent. Heck, I won't even use it.
      Last edited by Angel7292; 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

I popped the pimples.

I used a sterile lancette/scalpel to make an exit for the puss, and then just squeezed. Dabbed the area with rubbing alcohol after. Repeated every other day for about a week, and never saw a pimple again.
        Last edited by Zugo; 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

The diva is definitely not a fan of the yellow listerine either, and we have been doing the apple cider since her green discharge began, she is on grain free TOtW and bowls are rotated daily I haven't tried the stridex or squeezing them out...I worry about opening it up for infection. Since she has not been responding to antibiotics, vet is adamant about any further treatment with them.

I'll get some stridex and try that next...I miss my little Dane smooches! I'll pop them as a last resort, yikes!!
          Thanks!!

Comment

Just don't tell the cashier that the stridex pads are for your dog...you get the weirdest looks! I even used a little clearasil on Tucker's. A triple-antibiotic cream works good too. Every now and again, a pimple will sneak up on us. I just pop them and I'd say within an hour they look significantly better. It's is slightly gross though!
            ~ Erin ~
            "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with metal bowls...try to make sure the water bowl is cleaned twice a day.
              My dog had really bad acne as an older pup. He is intact so I'm sure hormonal changes and the maturity process really played a part. His acne became pretty bad. I didn't see that apple cider vinegar did much and he hated listerine (it made him sneeze). (not saying these things don't work...they just didn't work for him...maybe it was too bad of a case).

He even had painful looking erosions that bled when it was at it's worst.
              We would do a round of antibiotics and things would settle down only to return. During one of the last rounds of ABX when he was around 20months old, I found wiping his muzzle with warm damp paper towels after meals, blot drying and then applying a thin layer of chlorhexidine ointment 2% (at least once a day) really cleared him up. If you use chlorhexidine don't get it around the eyes at all.
              Now, I put the chlorhexidine ointment on maybe once a month if I see a pimple and On bath days, I lather just the tip of the muzzle up with either benzoyl peroxide containing dog shampoo or chlorhexidine shampoo. The dog hardly ever has pimples anymore, but he's almost 4.5 years old too.
              sigpicDanemommd
              Dante and Louis

Comment

Originally posted by danemommd View Post
                I agree with metal bowls...try to make sure the water bowl is cleaned twice a day.
                My dog had really bad acne as an older pup. He is intact so I'm sure hormonal changes and the maturity process really played a part. His acne became pretty bad. I didn't see that apple cider vinegar did much and he hated listerine (it made him sneeze). (not saying these things don't work...they just didn't work for him...maybe it was too bad of a case).

He even had painful looking erosions that bled when it was at it's worst.
                We would do a round of antibiotics and things would settle down only to return. During one of the last rounds of ABX when he was around 20months old, I found wiping his muzzle with warm damp paper towels after meals, blot drying and then applying a thin layer of chlorhexidine ointment 2% (at least once a day) really cleared him up. If you use chlorhexidine don't get it around the eyes at all.
                Now, I put the chlorhexidine ointment on maybe once a month if I see a pimple and On bath days, I lather just the tip of the muzzle up with either benzoyl peroxide containing dog shampoo or chlorhexidine shampoo. The dog hardly ever has pimples anymore, but he's almost 4.5 years old too.
                OooooO.. I'm going to have to look into this. I didn't realize that chlorhexidine came in an ointment or a shampoo! We have a clear liquid for his leg and we have a flush for the ears, but never an ointment or shampoo. I'll ask the vet. Phin's face REALLY picked up after his neuter. Not sure why. Will ask about these at the vet next week! We need to step up what we are doing.

I personally would never opt to pop them as some of y'all are doing. You could really be making a staph infection much worse and spreading it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
                  OooooO.. I'm going to have to look into this. I didn't realize that chlorhexidine came in an ointment or a shampoo! We have a clear liquid for his leg and we have a flush for the ears, but never an ointment or shampoo. I'll ask the vet. Phin's face REALLY picked up after his neuter. Not sure why. Will ask about these at the vet next week! We need to step up what we are doing.

I personally would never opt to pop them as some of y'all are doing. You could really be making a staph infection much worse and spreading it.
                  I will have to look into this ointment as well! We have the spray for wiping twice a day her other "stuff"...lol
                  I can't pop them, they look very angry to me, I can only imagine what is in there :s

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
                    I personally would never opt to pop them as some of y'all are doing.
                    Agree! Popping probably not a good idea (abscesses, cellulits, yuck!)
                    Just thought to add: I get the ointment,shampoos at Jefferspet.com, but I'm sure there's others.
                    Last edited by danemommd; 03-20-2012, 02:51 PM.
                    sigpicDanemommd
                    Dante and Louis

Comment

I would never, ever pop one, as it is likely staph and can easily spread all over the area, as well as cross contaminate to you.
                      Sprocket has a mild case and I clean it with listerine once a day, and wipe it frequently with unscented baby wipes. I also use an antiseptic wipe when away from home.
                      sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

Ugh, we have been dealing with this FOREVER! I was told that, by a year old and/or a spay, she would out grow it. Well, both have come and gone, and the "puppy" acne is still here!!!

We have tried all the usual things and will be taking her into the vet this week probably for some meds because nothing else is working.

One big issue we have (that I don't see anyone else mentioning) is the BLOOD! She bleeds everywhere and on everything. Her pimples burst all the time especially when playing, clumsily falling, playing bitey face, or just rubbing her face on the carpet. Her white paws, as well as my white pants & furniture, get covered in blood from her nasty chin acne dripping.

As a side note - we have never popped her pimples but obviously they are popping themselves daily and not only does it not seem to reduce the problem I'd say it makes the bacteria spread.
                        sigpicIntroducing Miss Maggie Maggie - 3 Years Old

Comment

[QUOTE=Angel7292;800292]OooooO.. I'm going to have to look into this. I didn't realize that chlorhexidine came in an ointment or a shampoo! QUOTE]

I'm using Chlorhexidine soap(It's pinkish red) from the vet office(no presc. needed) and it is working GREAT! Twice daily he gets a gentle scrub down using a hypo-allergenic baby wipe with this soap on it. Within days I've noticed the pimples drying up and starting to heal.
                          sigpic
                          CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
                          Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
                          Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
                          Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

Well of course the bacteria (staph or other) will spread if you dont clean with antiseptics afterwards, thats why I use rubbing alcohol..

Comment

Originally posted by Zugo View Post
                              Well of course the bacteria (staph or other) will spread if you dont clean with antiseptics afterwards, thats why I use rubbing alcohol..

Just because you are cleaning externally with antiseptic doesn't mean that you didn't spread the staph WITHIN the surrounding tissue. Dabbing it with rubbing alcohol as you said in your original post will NOT stop the spread. Plus... you've opened a wound by using that "sterile lancet /scalpel", now it is an entrance for all kinds of bacteria. Not to mention the bacteria from your own hands, sniffing of the ground, face on the floor, etc. It will continue to "ooze" and spread staph including to you. It's bad enough that they burst open on their own.

Ya know what... LOL... You lance and squeeze and dab until your heart is content. If you don't see how potentially problematic what you are doing (and suggesting to others) is, then have at it. Your dog, your choice.. Carry on.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X