Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olive has a growth between her toe...really gross...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olive has a growth between her toe...really gross...

Olive has been chewing on her paw the last week or so. Tonight I noticed this between her toes. The pictures aren't super clear (sorry) but it's red and swollen underneath it. I texted pictures of it to a friend of ours who is our vet and she said she needs to see it, but they are closed tomorrow so I'll take her in on Monday.

Until then....I put neosporin on it. Is that okay? Any suggestions on this? Is it a wart maybe?

Wife to Brian
    Mommy to 3 skin kids - Kaleb (6) and twins Ben and Ella (3) - and Olive, Great Dane (2)!
    <3

sigpic

That is a papilloma.............aka wart!
    Keep her away from other dogs, especially any bitch who is pregnant or just whelped as they are highly contagious.

I had my dogs come down with those early this Spring. They bled easily. I used Silver Nitrate sticks to stop the bleeding. The silver Nitrate also helped disolve the warts faster and heal them up.
    Carolyn
    Divine Acres Great Danes
    Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
      That is a papilloma.............aka wart!
      Keep her away from other dogs, especially any bitch who is pregnant or just whelped as they are highly contagious.

I had my dogs come down with those early this Spring. They bled easily. I used Silver Nitrate sticks to stop the bleeding. The silver Nitrate also helped disolve the warts faster and heal them up.
      Thank you! I thought it might be a wart but wasn't sure. Is Silver Nitrate something I can get on my own or is it something I will need to get from the vet? I'm going to take her in on Monday afternoon.

I had no idea they were contagious! I guess Olive doesn't get to go to camp with me for a while.
      Wife to Brian
      Mommy to 3 skin kids - Kaleb (6) and twins Ben and Ella (3) - and Olive, Great Dane (2)!
      <3

sigpic

Comment

Your vet will have the Silver Nitrate sticks.......see if he will give you a couple to take home incase she gets new sores or the old ones start to bleed.
        On my fawns, the silver nitrate discolored their fur, but that shouldnt a problem with Olive. And yes, no camp for Olive for at least a month.
        Carolyn
        Divine Acres Great Danes
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you! I'll ask about it tomorrow.

Poor Olive this morning when I left for work my husband said she cried at the door for about 20 minutes. She didn't understand why she couldn't come. Poor girl.
          Wife to Brian
          <3

sigpic

Comment

Oh Olive...get rid of that wart. Ladies need pretty hands lol.

I am hopeful that a wart is the right diagnosis. That would be at least a harmless choice of what it could be. Prayers for just a wart.

Get better sweet Olive.
            sigpic

Comment

are these contagious to other dogs only, or contagious to people too?? since i know people can have warts....
              sigpic
              xena and her dane friend duchess
              Heather
              and Xena the Warrior Dane
              find us on FB
              http://www.facebook.com/XenaWarriorDane
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xena-t...51824241520044

Comment

Originally posted by oneheatherdiane View Post
                are these contagious to other dogs only, or contagious to people too?? since i know people can have warts....
                I was wondering this, too? Id hate to catch one!
                Wife to Brian
                <3

sigpic

Comment

Update on Miss Olive:

Since I posed on Saturday, the lesion on her toe has grown so big that it now sticks out and can be seen without even opening her toes up. I took her to the vet today and she said that it looks to be an infection. We started her on Rimadyl and Cephalexin and will revisit it in about 2 weeks.
                  Wife to Brian
                  <3

sigpic

Comment

Yep, my vet didnt know it was papilloma's either LOL! As most vets see them in the mouth area and dont even realize they can grow between the toes.

Have you checked in between her other toes to see if she has any other growths? You can sometimes find them on their hocks, knee area and tummy.
                    Carolyn
                    Divine Acres Great Danes
                    sigpic

Comment

Do these look similar?

Just for a bit more information, above are pictures that I took of the papillomas on my 3 dogs. I had 8 dogs at the time, all were exposed to the virus, 3 became infected with it, 5 did not. Of the 3 infected, one was pregnant.........we unfortunately lost over half her litter after delivery. I believe her being infected with this virus during gestation caused the complications with the pups after delivery. One of the others infected was also recently bred just prior to exposure and she didnt conceive.

AND in my experience, the warts between the toes grew large (none of the dogs got any mouth warts), bled and then after the Silver nitrate application, as that was the only thing I found that actually stopped the bleeding, they did dry up and dissappear within 3 weeks. The Dane that initially was infected (he got it from the vets office) took a bit longer for the warts to dissappear. And yes it did take a couple vets (pictures I sent to my vets) to get a correct diagnosis as the first one (like yours) was not sure.

Hope this helps
                      Last edited by Carolyn; 09-05-2011, 12:19 PM. Reason: had to correct the word above instead of below
                      Carolyn
                      Divine Acres Great Danes
                      sigpic

Comment

if she asked her vet for silver nitrate sticks, would they give them to her based on her diagnosis (if she finds they are the same as your pics)

or would a vet protest giving the silver nitrate sticks because they dont think they are the warts.

if they are the warts will her the antibiotics she is on do nothing?? or can anti biotics help clear them up as well?

i know its not my dog....but im super interested in this lol
                        sigpic
                        xena and her dane friend duchess
                        Heather
                        and Xena the Warrior Dane
                        find us on FB
                        http://www.facebook.com/XenaWarriorDane
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xena-t...51824241520044

Comment

Carlie had warts in her mouth, bit off the biggest one and within a day, all of the other ones disappeared. Unknown to me, Ayla had them when she went in for her spay/pexi. Milo, also a puppy, did not. They live in the same house and are exposed to the same things. My vet cut them off during surgery, and no more ever appeared. He said she had three.
                          Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                          Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                          RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

<<or would a vet protest giving the silver nitrate sticks because they dont think they are the warts.>>

The Silver Nitrate only helps to stop the bleeding.......its almost like a cauterizer (sp?). BUT, I believe that there was other properties of the silver nitrate that did help dry up the wart and thus ultimately decreased the longevity of the wart itself.
                            So really, it isnt about a diagnosis as much as it is about stopping it from bleeding.
                            I dont know, maybe the OP's isnt bleeding??

<<if they are the warts will her the antibiotics she is on do nothing?? or can anti biotics help clear them up as well?>>

Warts are a virus.......the Cephalexin will do nothing except build up resistance to that antibiotic for future use. And IMO, cephalexin is a good general antibiotic......not one that you want to build up a resistance too.

On the other hand, Im not there and if this is an infection, the cephalexin will help heal it.......along with keeping the foot clean, dry and dabbing antibiotic cream on it.

I only posted the additional information because of the similarities and the problem I had with my initial vet on a correct diagnosis.
                            Carolyn
                            Divine Acres Great Danes
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes! They are IDENTICAL with one exception. There is a lot of swelling/pussy stuff in the skin underneath the wart. She did mention the word "wart" but I think was more concerned with the infection/swelling underneath which I think is the reason for the antibiotic? Crazy how Olive's look exactly like the pics you posted just with swelling underneath.

Olive's are not bleeding, not yet anyways. Just yucky looking.

As far as antibiotic cream, would neosporin fall into that category or should I look into something else? I've been keeping a knee sock on her (a pretty one of course) and using coban wrapped around her leg part to keep it up to keep it clean and keep her from chewing on it. Any other suggestions?
                              Wife to Brian
                              <3

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X