Vaccination Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccination Plan

So our new puppy is coming home at the end of May! We are so excited and I can't wait to start training, socializing, and everything else!

After we lost our last boy to cancer, I started doing a lot of reading about links to cancer and vaccinations. I plan of having this same conversation with my vet, but wanted to get all of your insights as well. My breeder and I have already had this conversation.

What were your vaccination plans? What vaccinations did you give your dogs? and when (age) were they given? How far apart?

I'm waiting until he turns at least 6 months before he gets rabies vacc, closer to a year if I can. But what are the other potential dangerous/damaging vaccinations for pups? I've done some searching around and please redirect if there is a thread that I missed that answers this.

Also, as an aside, what about flea and tick control? I can't imagine that these are healthy substances that we are putting on our dogs. We need it, as we live in a wooded area with a pond behind our house (flea and tick central!).

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

I use comforts its a monthly pill it work for my dogs and some say it don't for there's but u could try it flea and tick
    sigpic u better love me because its all mine!!!!!!!!!!!! Got to love a dane

Comment

I generally like to wait a long as possible to vaccinate for rabies. Definitely it should not be done in combination with any other vaccine and my preference is to have it done at least a month before/after any other vaccine.

With Brembo, we followed Dr. Jean Dodd's protocol: with Distemper/Parvo (I think we used DHPP which also includes hepatitis and paroinfluenza because our vet didn't have the DPV) at 10, 14 and 18 weeks. We waited until about 9 months to do rabies.

With Puffin, we talked to a holistic vet and decided to only do one Parvo. only vaccination at about 12 weeks and followed up with a titer to confirm the presence of antibodies. I wouldn't recommend that if parvo is common where you live, but in the areas that we frequent it is not common. We were careful while she was a young pup to do things that strengthened her immune system and did not let her run around at the dog park until after we had her titer results.
      sigpic
      Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
      You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
      You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

An ideal plan for me is puppy series (DHPP) every 3-4 weeks until 16 weeks of age. Then a booster at 1 year and then every 3 years after.
        sigpic
        Crystal
        Owned by:
        Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
        CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
        Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
        Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

For me it's puppy series at 8, 12 & 16 weeks of age..DA2PP absolutely no lepto a booster in a year and then never again for the life of my dogs. I don't ever do corona since it is not a recommended vaccine.. I never do bordatella either.
          I do rabies 6 months or older..a booster in a year and then every 3 years as required by law...so during adulthood the only vaccine my dogs get is rabies. I never give rabies at the same time as the DA2PP..I allow at least 3-4 weeks between.
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

I could be wrong, but wouldn't it also be a good thing to go along with what the breeder recommends? If the breeder is a reptuable one, they'd know what works and what doesn't, right?
            My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
            Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
            Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies and info everyone!

I am completely confident in my breeder and will follow what she suggests, but wanted to get the ideas, beliefs, and feelings of others as well.

This makes a lot of sense to me.
              "For me it's puppy series at 8, 12 & 16 weeks of age..DA2PP absolutely no lepto a booster in a year and then never again for the life of my dogs. I don't ever do corona since it is not a recommended vaccine.. I never do bordatella either.
              I do rabies 6 months or older..a booster in a year and then every 3 years as required by law...so during adulthood the only vaccine my dogs get is rabies. I never give rabies at the same time as the DA2PP..I allow at least 3-4 weeks between."

The town I live in requires rabies by 6 months, if I wanted to wait longer, say 10 months to 1 yr, how much trouble could I get into? Probably a question for the vet, but was wondering if anyone had personal experience.

Seems like frontline is the way to go for flea AND ticks. We def. need tick prevention as they are all over our yard. We are constantly picking them off of our kids after they get done playing in the woods. Advantix seems out as we have a cat. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
              Mike

Comment

I am following the same protocol, except with Ayla getting her first distemper/parvo at 8 weeks old, her second at 14 weeks, and her third at 18 weeks, she is done for three years, according to my vet. We will not do rabies until she is 6 months old. I will not do anything but rabies from now on, though. I doubt I will do the distemper/parvo again in three years. I did do the bordatella, and I will not do that ever again, with any of my dogs. I did it with two dogs, and they both got sick.
                Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like everyone else has the same opinion I do on the vax. For ticks you could try a Preventic collar. They do a good job at stopping the ticks that some spot ons miss. We've had good luck with Frontline Plus. I live in west TN and there is a ring of pine trees around my yard. Ticks love pines and the flea/mosquito season is from about March 1st to November 20th! LOL then add deer flies and horseflies in the middle of summer and we've probably tried every method available! Good luck with your search. As long as your dog reacts well to it and it gets most of the little buggers you can supplement with a safe repellent spray before you head out for a long playtime.

Diana, Nick, Bingo, Belle, Sam, and Zane
                  One man's trash is another man's treasure. Rescue a dog, give a 2nd chance, get undying love. It's a great deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bubba Diesel View Post
                    Thanks for all of the replies and info everyone!

I am completely confident in my breeder and will follow what she suggests, but wanted to get the ideas, beliefs, and feelings of others as well.

This makes a lot of sense to me.
                    "For me it's puppy series at 8, 12 & 16 weeks of age..DA2PP absolutely no lepto a booster in a year and then never again for the life of my dogs. I don't ever do corona since it is not a recommended vaccine.. I never do bordatella either.
                    I do rabies 6 months or older..a booster in a year and then every 3 years as required by law...so during adulthood the only vaccine my dogs get is rabies. I never give rabies at the same time as the DA2PP..I allow at least 3-4 weeks between."

The town I live in requires rabies by 6 months, if I wanted to wait longer, say 10 months to 1 yr, how much trouble could I get into? Probably a question for the vet, but was wondering if anyone had personal experience.

Seems like frontline is the way to go for flea AND ticks. We def. need tick prevention as they are all over our yard. We are constantly picking them off of our kids after they get done playing in the woods. Advantix seems out as we have a cat. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
                    Mike
                    My state has similar rabies laws, I waited until 14 months. I don't like to give rabies before a year old.

You could also try dimaceous earth for your yard to cut down on the fleas and ticks.
                    sigpic
                    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

I wait til a year old for rabies too. The only way it could become a problem is if your dog were to bite someone and the county wanted proof of rabies vaccination. In Ohio, even if your dog isn't vaccinated the only trouble you could get in is you have to get them the shot, quarantine them (in your home) for 10 days, and there might be a fine involved. Easy solution: wait til a year old and make sure he doesn't bite anybody
                      sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

Comment

We got Bambi at 15 weeks so she was pretty much done with her puppy series by the time we got her last shot was done about 2-3 weeks after she came home.. She had her Rabies I think it was at 8 months She is now 2 1/2 yrs old and has not had a shot since the 3 yr rabies booster 6 months ago... I plan on only vaccinating her should her Titer levels drop drastically..... I also have Max (12ish yrs old) my chi mix who has not had a vaccine of any sort since 2003, the year after we adopted him.... 2 of my 4 cats have never been vaccinated to my knowledge however, their titer levels are always within normal perimeters....
                        Teresa n
                        sigpic

Comment

My state also has the law taht dogs must have rabies vaccine by 6 months, but I am careful and wait as long as I can.

I use Frontline plus and heartguard plus.
                          sigpic
                          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                          Associate Member GDCNE
                          Member GSPCA
                          Member NAVHDA
                          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
                          X