A Few Questions...First Dane Coming Soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Questions...First Dane Coming Soon

I'm sorry for those who saw this post in my 1st thread in the Intro section, but I have a few questions and wasn't get any answers over there. Hope you don't mind me asking here..

I cannot find any definite answers about spaying my girl. When does everyone else spay theirs?

I'm trying to look into pet insurance for her. I have no clue what to look for. I don't even have insurance for myself....Does anyone have any recommendations to make?

I think I remember reading on another site at some point that you are supposed to wait so long before walking them (like around the neighborhood). Could someone tell me when she can start to go on walks with me and Ace and for how long? Ace would walk this whole city if I could keep up with him. lol.

Thank you all so much!
    sigpic

Lindy

Mom to: Ace (5 year old rescue)
    Aria (Harlequin born 2-10-11)
    Roxi (5 year old one eyed kitty)

You should spay your girl somewhere between about 6 and 8 months. No later.

Pet insurance ? I don't know. Try asking about pet ins. in Misc.

Puppies should not be forced to walk or exercise more than usual puppy play. Yes you can take her on a leash and teach her leash manners walking up and down the street, but I wouldn't go farther than up and down a normal block. Your pup is growing at a very fast rate, and we want all the pup's energy to go into her growth.

A puppy should come home to you between 8 and 10 weeks old, and should be fed three times a day. You should really be talking to your breeder about these things. They should be able to give you the best advice !

Andi

Comment

We spayed and pexied Bubbles at 8 months, not sure that was right or wrong but what our vet recommended. We have Petplan insurance on all 3 dogs and are very happy with it. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer your other questions. We don't walk our pups very far just enough to learn leash manners so when they start puppy kindergarten we don't look like total fools.
      sigpic
      Buster

RIP Jack Diesel Caliber and Bubbles. Mommy misses you guys every day!

Comment

Thank you for your advice, Andi.

I had planned on asking the breeder, I just wanted to know other experiences/opinions also. I'm sorry if that's wrong, these just popped in my head and I wanted to tell them before I forgot.

Aria will be coming home when she is 8 and 1/2-9weeks old. I know about her feeding.
        sigpic

Lindy

Comment

Thank you Claudia. You brought up another point. Is it best to do the spay and pexy together? I'm still undecided on the pexy at this point. I still have 6 and 1/2 more weeks until Aria comes home. What about those who have gone through the pexy? What have been your firsthand experiences with it? Good or bad?
          sigpic

Lindy

Comment

Hi,
            8-12 months is a good time to spay.
            As far as Pet Insurance AKC has a couple of good plans. Also a lot of peopel use Veterianry Pet insurance..VPI. I've been checking into the AKC plans.
            It's ok to do short walks with your puppy but no forced exercise like jogging, agility, etc. Normal puppy antics is fine.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Just chiming in on the insurance -- we use Trupanion and they've been very good to us. We actually got a 30 day "trial" plan from our vet when we first took Tristan in as a baby. The day after the insurance expired, he broke his leg. We called Trupanion and they backdated our insurance by a day so that his very expensive surgery would be covered. Can't say enough good things about them!
              - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
              sigpic

Comment

Wow, Missy! That's awesome. I haven't heard of that one and I don't think it showed up on my search. I'll definitely search it out though. Thank you.

I'm having a hard time getting quotes because I put in her birthday and it rejects me with the reason being she's under 8 weeks old.

Your boy is so handsome
                sigpic

Lindy

Comment

Thanks!

I pay $36 a month for Tristan's coverage, with a $200 deductible. The deductible isn't "per visit" though, it is "per incident". So like.. once I paid the $200 deductible for his leg surgery, I didn't have to pay a deductible on follow up visits or whatnot.
                  - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
                  sigpic

Comment

I had Neena's Spay and Pexy done at 8 months old.
                    The breeder required spay by 8 months in her contract.
                    The breeder didn't require Pexy...that was my decision.

I think the Pexy is a good idea and it is much cheaper to do it at the same time as the spay. Plus no reason to put them under anethesia twice when it can all be done at the same time.

I had Schwartz neutered and his Pexy at a year old.
                    Jeanne, Schwartz, Neena. Denver & Savannah Rose

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X