what age to microchip?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what age to microchip?

Is there a minimum age to microchip? A max age? I would like to microchip both my dogs. Midas is 7, Luna is 14 weeks.
    sigpic

Check with your breeder, Luna is likely already chipped... Your other dog can be microchipped at any time. Usually they are chipped before they leave the breeder's house. There is no specific age to microchip.
    sigpic

Comment

Our dogs weren't chipped by their breeders. Our vet suggested with Brembo that we wait until she was a little closer to full-size. Said there'd be less chance of the chip moving if they did & it'd be easier to find. I don't know if that's the case or not. We haven't had Puffin chipped yet because we haven't been to the vet very often, but probably will next time we go. She just turned 5 months.
      sigpic
      Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
      You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
      You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

We chip ours at 7 to 8 weeks when they get ears cropped.
        Member:
        Macon Kennel Club
        & Great Dane Club of the Mid-South

Comment

We chipped Gus when he got his 1st rabies shot. I feel the sooner the better. You never know what could happen.

Comment

IMPO I would do it as early as possible. Puppyhood is when they're least reliable, and more prone to explore the world...teenage years may be tough too. I'd get it done ASAP for peace of mind. HTH.
            ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

Aadan was chipped with this first rabies shots - they are easier to handle as babies and if chipped properly it won't float.

Agree do it as early as possible - the puppy stage is when its really easy for those collars to slip off!
              Aadan 12 mo.!
              sigpic

Comment

Moxie was chipped at her one year old vet visit.

Comment

Thanks guys! I have an appointment next week for both my boys at the Vet. I will call and see if I can get them both chipped while I am there!
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X