Doggles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doggles

I did a search... but doggles are mentioned too much in too many threads to narrow it down.

Simon being a white dane... with a funky eccentric pupil in his right eye (loos like two pupils squished together inside one iris)... I worry about UV protection (Thanks Moni)... I've gone to the Doggle page, but I can't figure out which lenses are the best UV protection... Flash Mirror or Smoke (or maybe even something else that didn't look UV resistant).

Couple questions... does anyone recommend or have any preference on which model doggle?... also, are there any better dog-goggles on the market worth looking into? Lastly, I plan on getting Simon a smaller set for now to get him used to them... but what size Doggles do most of the large Male Dane owners use for their danes? Looking to get an idea for when he gets older. Also... looking to get an idea for the SS this month... Doggles are a cool stocking stuffer.
    - Chris
    "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
    sigpic

Bump.

Anyone know which lenses are most UV protective?

The FAQ says doggles' lenses provide UV protection, but it doesn't say if one protects more than the others. Also... with a white dane, I know UV is a big threat for eyes and skin... but with sensitive eyes, more than just UV can hurt them right? photosensitivity extends to actual brightness lumens too doesn't it? If so, anyone know which Lens is the darkest and/or which doggles model provides the best coverage... Doggles ILS or Doggles K9 Optix ? (are the k9 Optix just sunglasses, not goggles... but with a lanyard strap?)
    - Chris
    "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
    sigpic

Comment

Tristan has a pair of the K9 Optix. They are not goggles -- they look like people sunglasses, but too widely spaced apart for a person's eyes. They have a strap that goes under the chin and one that goes behind the ears.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any information on the UV protection -- I just chose the ones I did because I liked how they looked. We ordered a large, and they've fit Tristan just fine for a while now. He isn't over 100lbs yet, but I imagine they'll still fit him for some time yet.

We used Katie's blog post about desensitizing your dog to a muzzle as our guide for getting Tristan to wear the doggles. Once he was okay with having them on, he started eating all of his meals with the doggles on. Now he wears them just fine!

He doesn't wear them everytime we go out, but if it is particularly sunny or windy, or if we're going to be in the convertible, he wears them.
      - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
      sigpic

Comment

I don't know about the UV protection either...we got ours for eye protection for hanging out at the shooting range.

I would definitely get a XL in the long run. We initially got a L for our girl when she was about 8 months old, because that was the largest size local pet stores carried, but they were too small even then. (She has a fairly big, doggy head) The XL still fits her. Definitely work to desensitize Simon to them. Brembo was a bit afraid of them at first, and still doesn't love wearing them, but she doesn't have to often.

I'd call the company and ask about the UV ratings, I ordered my XL's directly from them, and the people there were very helpful.
        sigpic
        Brembo, Puffin, & Rahime

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
        You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
        You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
          I'll call Doggles customer service and see what I can find out about UV protection.
          - Chris
          sigpic

Comment

Anyone ever used Wiley-X™ Goggles for their dog?

They're issued by the military in Iraq/Afghanistan as UV protective/Ballistic eyewear... They have interchangeable clear/black/smoke lenses.. along with interchangeable arms/strap and elastic band so you can wear them as sunglasses or goggles.

Having been deployed to the above countries 3 times... I have quite the collection of Wiley-X's (as well as a ridiculous amount of Camelbak hydration backpacks)... they issue them before each deployment as well as one pair midway thru each deployment... Now that im retired... I have no other use.. and I bet they'd work well as Doggles..

I mean... doggles are only $20 I think.. but if the Wiley-X's are better, why spend $20 for no reason...

Thoughts?
            - Chris
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X