Ivermectin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivermectin

If you have your dogs on Heartguard every month and want to switch them to the type of Ivomectin that they give cattle and other animals do you have to get a heartworm test done first.? Thanks for any info.

Ivermectin

No, you can just switch.

Comment

Old School of thought was that any dog put on HW prevention (ivermectin) could possibly die from it if they were HW+. Therefore the HW tests prior to starting any prevention. Most know now that that is not true.

Comment

I had all the dogs tested over this month for heartworms, all were negative .. so I got some 1% ivermectin for cattle (injectable) ... the vet told me the oral dosage is 1cc per 100lbs, but I read recently online that you should mix it with propylene glycol (then I read you only mix if it's a percentage over 1%), and then I read that the dosage is 1/10CC per 10 pounds(but wouldn't that equal out to 1cc per 100lbs?).

Now I'm confused. (this is why I don't look much stuff up online .. there is so much conflicting advice .. it's like a crap shoot on which advice to trust).

Sooo, since I post here .. I value what you guys are doing (especially since it's with a great dane not a smaller breed dog) as opposed to a poster on a forum I know nothing about (google searches tend to lead to dog forums when asked these types questions) .. at what dosage do you guys (that use Ivermectin) dose your dogs?

I also forgot to ask the vet if the Ivermectin is also a monthly like the heartguard?
        sigpic
        A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post
          then I read that the dosage is 1/10CC per 10 pounds(but wouldn't that equal out to 1cc per 100lbs?).
          I cant comment on anything else... but you are correct... 1cc per 100lbs is equal to 1/10thCC per 10lbs.... they both equal 1/100thCC per pound
          - Chris
          "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
          sigpic

Comment

I give 1/10 a cc for every 10lbs.
            Dont mix it with anything. Use the 1% injectable but give orally.
            I dont give in the winter months, only when we see mosquitoes.

Have been doing it for about 4 years now and feel like a idiot for buying heartguard for all those years! What a rip off, never seen a price SO inflated! They inflate everything geared toward the pet market when the exact same thing for livestock costs pennies, then they try to keep your dog on it in the dead of winter in northern climates which is pointless.
            We have our HW tests annually and have never had a positive result and we are doing this under our vets guidance and approval. Go to a 'city' vet and that will be another story! whatever hurts their bottom line they dont approve of.

It literally costs me cents for each dosage now and I know my measurement is exact to each dog. With heartguard the actual dosage can vary from treat to treat and they have such a wide weight range for their products you could be over dosing.
            I would cost me over $70 a month for heartguard for all my dogs, instead I pay $30 a YEAR for ivermectin. I dont cut corners with my dogs but I do save where it makes sense where it wont effect their happiness or health.

Also I think that melamine tainted wheat gluten was used in the heartguard as well.

Stephanie
            Old Mission Great Danes
            www.OldMissionDanes.com
            Member: GDCA & Great Dane Club of Michigan

Comment

@OMD,

you happen to have any good online sources for IV/IM Ivermectin?
              Last edited by Mr. Walnuts; 10-27-2010, 08:17 AM.
              - Chris
              "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
              sigpic

Comment

We do it every 6 to 8 weeks. Your only killing the microfilaria not the worms themselves. It takes about 6 months for them to develop into adult worms after infecting the dog.

We get the Ivomec (ivermectin) injection for Cattle and Swine 1% Sterile Solution BUT we do it orally. We buy it from Tractor Supply company or any feed store that sells it. We have never had a positive.
                Member:
                Macon Kennel Club
                & Great Dane Club of the Mid-South

Comment

Originally posted by SusRob0674 View Post
                  We do it every 6 to 8 weeks. Your only killing the microfilaria not the worms themselves. It takes about 6 months for them to develop into adult worms after infecting the dog.
                  So are you saying you recommend HW treatment first and Ivermectin as preventative once you have a nagative? (assuming you're positive at the start)
                  - Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Depends...I start my babies on ivermectin at 4 months and have a yearly HW test.

BUT when I took in another GD he was 3 at the time, he was HW (weak) positive, hookworm & roundworm infected. I recommend the treatment from a Veterinary first. It took a year before we got HW neg on my boy, then I started the invermectin.
                    Member:
                    Macon Kennel Club
                    & Great Dane Club of the Mid-South

Comment

for those that give it do you mix it with propylene glycol?
                      Meg
                      AeroDanes

Comment

Many rescues use the slow-kill method w/ivermectin and doxy. I know of at least 4 in this area (the RGV), another near Port Isabel, 1 in Dallas, and another in Nevada use it. I know there many others but these are the ones I've worked with/fostered for.
                        I've used it on several dogs and all were negative within a year. None had any adverse side effects.

Here's a report on it;

http://www.dogaware.com/health/heartworm.html

Comment

I just wanted to make sure and point out that you should never use any other product other than ivermectin/HG if your pet is HW+, you can kill your pet. This is because other products cause a fast kill of the heartworms and that can be too fast and can be fatal if they are positive.

HG is basically ivermectin and pyrantel injected into the beef treats. I would follow your vet's recommendations as far as what they recommend and the dose they give you if you are doing oral ivermectin. Make sure you weigh them frequently so you are giving adequate amounts. I would do it year round and every 30 days.

To clarify, ivermectin kills microfilaria, L3, and L4 larvae; not just microfiliria.

Here is a link to the American Heartworm Society. http://www.heartwormsociety.org/vete...uidelines.html
                          sigpic
                          Crystal
                          Owned by:
                          Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                          CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                          Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                          Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

I have my dogs on the cattle ivermectin. 0.1cc/10lbs of body weight. I do not dilute. I draw it up and squirt it into bread, then glob some peanut butter on it. No refusals this way.This was the first year I used it. I will not use it over the winter, will do a HW test in the spring before resuming.
                            sigpic
                            Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Crystal makes a good point in mentioning that using the liquid form is extra label use. Discussing alternative treatment with your vet is always recommended, especially in the event of an adverse reaction.

Having said that, all I can share is what we have personally done with our danes (and past rescues). We have used liquid ivermectin for over 20yrs, all remained HW-. We have used it to assist treating demo, HW+, and as HWP (preventative). We used to use the 1cc/100#, but for the last 10+yrs we use it at a lower dosage - a tenth of a cc per 44# (not mixed or diluted). All of our danes and rescues remain HW-. This has always been discussed, approved and monitored by our vet.

PS - we get a 60ml bottle for $32 at the feed store. Have seen it for a little less online, shipping (unless free) can bump it up to the same or more than if purchased locally.
                              Last edited by Harlequin Dane; 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM.
                              Mrs Emery
                              AKC Canine Ambassador
                              Member GDCA - resource/referral
                              GOPDC - Public Education Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X