Clear All

here is a link with shopping results

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...a096ba63ca8429

Stephanie
    Old Mission Great Danes
    www.OldMissionDanes.com
    Member: GDCA & Great Dane Club of Michigan

Comment

I appreciate the response from Dexter. Aren't you a veterinarian? I have wanted to give liquid ivermectin but I have always had concerns about giving this for fear of over or under dosing. When giving something like that how do you consider the bodies absorption rate. I understand that in the oral form it would absorb much slower than the injectable form given orally. How do account for this when prescribing injectable to be given orally. Do any veterinarians on the site have a comment?

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. It's nice ot see the same response instead of 16 different ones!

Originally posted by riloburnham View Post
        When giving something like that how do you consider the bodies absorption rate. I understand that in the oral form it would absorb much slower than the injectable form given orally. How do account for this when prescribing injectable to be given orally. Do any veterinarians on the site have a comment?
        I read that the reason it is suggested to give it oraly, instead of injecting, was that IF it made the dog sick .. the dog would simply vomit it up .. and not absorb the full dosage .. unlike with injecting .. where they just have to take what they got.

I also read that collie breeds are not supposed to have this .. as it can cross the blood/brain barrier. yikes!
        sigpic
        A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLittleSmall View Post
          I also read that collie breeds are not supposed to have this .. as it can cross the blood/brain barrier. yikes!
          This is the entire reason I haven't used the injectible Ivermectin, but I'm thinking I may switch Stavro and Banksy and leave my Aussie on Interceptor.

FWIW, vets seem to go back and forth on whether the Collie-type Ivermectin sensitivity is a legitimate concern. I've argued and argued this with vets that carry nothing but Heartgard. For several years I've gone to a vet that breeds Aussies, and as a result, they do not even sell Heartgard. Better safe than sorry.

I've also read that Danes can be Ivermectin sensitive, but I haven't seen this often, and not from an entirely reliable source. Anyone had a problem?
          sigpic
          Stavro at 12 Weeks

Comment

Originally posted by seachainanmadra View Post
            I've also read that Danes can be Ivermectin sensitive, but I haven't seen this often, and not from an entirely reliable source. Anyone had a problem?
            I have seen this, and I avoided it up until recently. I saw a website about the gene (I think its a gene?) that causes the issue and the percent of each breed it affects....danes werent even on it and it went really low...so I felt ok switching.

I got some from the feed store, but I didnt see the injectable 1%. My vet figured the doses for me based on what I got, which is paste and 2.87%

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
              I have seen this, and I avoided it up until recently. I saw a website about the gene (I think its a gene?) that causes the issue and the percent of each breed it affects....danes werent even on it and it went really low...so I felt ok switching.
              Do you have a link to the website? I'd like to switch Leo, but I want to find out if it's safe for my pom mix too.
              Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
              Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

If you ask most vets today, they will tell you that the Ivermectin in white footed breeds (collie like breeds) isn't as toxic as they once thought and most don't have an issue since it is such a low dosage.

Yes I am a vet. I don't usually recommend the cattle ivomec in place of a HW product due to liability issues and also that way the company can pay for the treatment if the client follows the manufacturers recommendations for giving it.
                sigpic
                Crystal
                Owned by:
                Dexter 8 year old GD, CGC
                CH xxx's Top Gear AKA Studebaker (Baker) 4 years
                Bagel 19 yr old Maine Coon
                Lox 11 yr old Russian Blue mix

Comment

Working...
                X