Bloat Scare / what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloat Scare / what?

Okay so I have to make this short because I'm running to work (which is making me so anxious because I do NOT want to leave him...) but I'll answer any and all questions tonight.

Basically yesterday morning Halp ate his breakfast (4 cups Orijen 6 fish, and I've been presoaking it lately) around 10 am. At 11:30ish we left to walk over to a vet clinic where I was going to see about talking to the surgeon about a neuter. It was hot out, and on the way there he kept wanting to lay down (in the shady areas) so I figured he was hot. We got there, checked in, and I took him back outside because it was crowded in the clinic and he seemed restless. Once outside I noticed distended stomach, then the odd behavior all made sense. This clinic isn't equipped to deal with anything like this so we had to rush to an emergency hospital. In the cab ride over his stomach just felt worse and worse and I was SO convinced I was loosing by guy. Once at the clinic the triage doctor looked him over, said he seemed relly stable etc etc, so they got another doctor to come get us. She also felt him over and said while he was bloated it felt like his spleen was actually maybe part of the problem. After a little while his bloated look seemed to go down, and i did later hear the lovely sounds of dane burp/fart. Anyway he was sent for Xrays, which showed a TON of food just sitting in his stomach (doc said it usually passes through much quicker than that, or at least wouldn't be that large quantity, it had been about 4 or more hours since eating at that point) and he wouldn't cooperate on his back, so they only had side views and things were a bit obstructed. He didn't however appear to really be bloating in the normal sense. But then there was fear of possible spleen torsion, so she said i could either just watch him or opt for the ultrasound. Obviously my broke behind opted for the ultrasound anyway. Which thankfully showed no torsion, and nothing seemingly really wrong. So he may a) just have a big spleen, b) SOMETHING weird with his digestion rate today made his stomach so full that he was uncomfortable and it was pushing against his other organs, c) he was indeed bloating but was able to remedy it himself or a combination of any of the above. Or something entirely different. Basically no solid conclusion could be drawn, but the entire time he was in stable condition, and there was no visible damage or really much of anything off when we actually looked at his insides.

Halpert is 15 months, as of now unneutered and not pexied (although I'm remedying that as soon as I possibly can, this little experiment set me back a bit..)

Anyway just wanted some opinions on what could be going on, if anyone has dealt with this, etc. He hasn't eaten (just a few snacks and such) since yesterday morning and because I'm at work all day I'm not feeding him until I get home so I can watch him like a hawk. He is always rested before and after feeding as well. He DID drink more water in one sitting than I like for him to do that morning as well.

ETA: He continued to look somewhat distended all day yesterday until last night. He pooped last night, and was peeing normally as well. This morning he is looking and acting totally normal.
    Last edited by Quinn; 08-10-2010, 05:36 AM.
    sigpic Halpert at 28 months

I don't have any advice - but how scary for you!

Comment

Yikes! NO BLOATING, Halp!
      sigpic

Comment

EEEEK. I hope that Halp keeps his slim, unbloated figure from now on!! Maybe you should put him on Phazyme until his surgery.
        Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
        Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
        RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

So glad Halpert recovered on his own! What a scary deal.
          sigpic Brenda
          RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
          Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

I really do not know, but is he really eating 8 cups of food a day ? That sounds like an awful lot. Briar eats Candadae with some canned stired in and a bit of water. She eats 2 to 2 and a half cups twice a day. (total max 5 cups a day) with about half a small can of dog food mixed in.

It sounds like he ate too much. Can you feed three times a day instead of two times ?

giving him smaller, more frequent meals ?

Andi

Comment

NO BLOATING HALP! Quit scaring your momma, and us too!
              sigpicDane and Martini

Comment

Don't have any advice, but jsut wanting to you to know that I'm thinking of you guys!
                sigpic
                -Sara-
                -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

I don't know if this is any help or not, but when Jazz bloated in June (just turned 12 months) my vet had me feed her boiled checken and rice for the time between the bloat and her pexy (about a week). She wanted her eating that because it was easier to digest than the kibble. I think the chicken adn rice made a huge difference for jazz! For what it's worth She also was very strict on 3-4 meals a day rather than 2. Also their policy is no raised bowles.

Good luck I know how scarey this is!

Emily
                  sigpic
                  Emily
                  Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
                  Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
                  Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

Oh my gosh - I'm glad Halpert is OK. How scary! I had a similar incident with Winston. He had signs of bloat (vomiting, restless, etc), so I took him to the ER, but Xrays showed the gas was passing through his system.

After posting the experience here, the advice I received was to do a prophylactic gastropexy. Since he had the symptoms once, it was more likely that it would happen again. I am glad that I had the surgery, as it has given me peace-of-mind knowing that I would hopefully have more time should he show signs of bloat again. He was pexied in May of 2009 and has not had any reoccurance since.

I would schedule the pexy as soon as you can. And consider feeding him three times a day. We feed Winston three meals so he doesn't have as much food in his stomach.
                    Melisa, Bentley and Ella
                    www.landmarkdanes.weebly.com

CH Divine Acres Livin' in the Fast Lane "Bentley"

Divine Acres Busy Being Fabulous "Ella"

sigpic

Comment

How scary! Poor Halp & you! I don't have any advice, just sending hugs your way.
                      sigpic
                      Tracy ~ wife(to Marshall) & mom to 3 skin kids (Devin, Cameron, Kaiden) & 2 fur kids (Cain & Leda) RIP my sweet Breech 8-12-09 to 9-18-10.

Comment

I too, have no advice but I am so glad he's ok! That's sounds like an awful thing to go through. *hugs*
                        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Ok,I am new to Danes and just got my first,could you explain what a Pexi is? And I am glad everything worked out for you.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mkueper View Post
                            Ok,I am new to Danes and just got my first,could you explain what a Pexi is? And I am glad everything worked out for you.

It's where they sew the stomach to the to the abdominal wall to prevent torsion (the stomach twisting)

Comment

Sh*t!!! I'm really sorry this happened to you and Halp!!! I have no advice, but am so glad he's doing better today and that it passed on its own. In addition to what has been mentioned, maybe it's time to think about going back to raw if you can find a supplier in your new city?
                              Katie & Scarlett
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X